What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby FantasyMan13 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:45 pm

I saw some of Grandma's Boy, but not all of it because I fell asleep :-b . It had a couple good moments, but for the most part it was not worth my time.

5/10
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:53 am

I've been slacking on my movie watching lately.

I did get a chance to see The Hills Have Eyes. Score - 5.5/10

I usually am very generous in my reviews of horror films, but this one really bit the big one. The story was lame and the only good characters have very little screen time. Movie wasn't scary at all but had some nice scenes of gore and violence. A big gripe of mine was that there was two hot chicks in the movie and there was no nudity/sex scene. I Kinda expect to see that in a R-rated horror movie!! Overall, this movie stunk and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mysticphysh » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:22 am

I finally got around to see X-Men 3 this past week. I was sorely disappointed. :-t
mysticphysh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:37 am

Click - I really didn't want to pay to see this, but my friends wouldn't go do anything else. I wasn't one of Sandler's best, maybe somewhre around Big Daddy or Mr. Deeds. The best moments were a recurring joke with a stuffed animal duck.

4/10

Nacho Libre - See the above for my reasons for actually seeing this in theaters. It was just plain bad. Jack Black did a good job using a different voice, but his accent would occassionally slip for Spanish to Italian. This movie tries to be funny, but it falls short on just about every joke. Saving Silverman was a better Jack Black movie.

3/10

Be Cool - I'd heard the sequel to Get Shorty was awful, so I figured on waiting for video. Finally got around to seeing it, and while it's not as good as the original, this was a fun entertaining film. Whereas the first movie tried to be clever, this one just went straight for funny. Vince Vaughn as the tall white-boy who thinks he's a ghetto gansta and the Rock as a gay bodyguard were a great pair of characters. Some great cameos, like James Woods, and Danny Devito. The guy from OutKast (name escapes me), had some great moments too. Overall, if you liked Get Shorty, you will most likely enjoy this film.

7/10

Spanglish - Figured I'd save the best for last. I had wanted to see this movie after I'd heard it was different from Sandler's usual, and boy was it ever. If you're looking for another Happy Gilmore, etc don't bother. This was more of a comedic drama. Tia Leoni does a great job portraying the frantic good intented antagonist in the story. There are some excellent lines, and the story feels very real, even the way everything ends, its not very hollwood-ish. Sandler actually does a good job playing a different character than his other dozen movies, and even the kids do some solid acting. Very entertaining if you're looking for some spots of comedy and lots of real life drama.

8/10
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The_Captain » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:26 pm

I agree maddog - Spanglish was a break from the Sandler "norm" and I also really enjoyed it.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canacuna » Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:41 pm

The_Captain wrote:I agree maddog - Spanglish was a break from the Sandler "norm" and I also really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the maid.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:40 pm

Canacuna wrote:
The_Captain wrote:I agree maddog - Spanglish was a break from the Sandler "norm" and I also really enjoyed it.

I enjoyed the maid.

Paz Vega was very very appealing in that movie.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby cardiac cats » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:09 pm

more reviews...

Suburbia- 8.5/10 stars giovanni ribisi, steve zahn, parker posey. A character development kinda story with interesting dialogue( i believe it's based off a play). The ending leaves more questions than answers but I supppose it's meant to be that way.Steve Zahn was flat out great IMO.

BLOW- 9/10 Johnny Deep, enuff said. Good drug flick, and mr. pee wee herman as a drug dealer, genius ;-D

The Skeleton Key- 5/10 meh, more crazy plots. It just gets too wishy washy towards the end, I don't care much for this film. I must note that Kate Hudson is straight up HOT though.

Swingers- 7/10 with Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn. Clever and witty comedy dealing with relationships and dating. Vince is great in one of his 1st roles, he as obnoxious and hilarious as ever.
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby thatonepoorkid » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:37 pm

I saw Click a few days ago it was ok i think i say this because it was a good movie but it got my girlfriend in a really upset mood so the rest of the night she was all depressed
thatonepoorkid
Head Coach
Head Coach

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Goatwhacker » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:54 pm

cardiac cats wrote:
Swingers- 7/10 with Jon Favreau and Vince Vaughn. Clever and witty comedy dealing with relationships and dating. Vince is great in one of his 1st roles, he as obnoxious and hilarious as ever.

Great movie. It's funny, my wife didn't really care for it and I think it's a rare "guy" movie that involves a lot of talking about feelings, etc. Sort of a chick flick for guys.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk