What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:26 am

Saw Dr. Strangelove last night and loved it! I'm a big Kubrick fan anyway, but I liked the parody and humor in this film. Peter Sellers is phenomenal as 3 different characters, George C. Scott is hilarious and Slim Pickens is his usual self. I highly recommend it if you haven't already seen it.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:52 am

since i lost my iPod right before i went on an 8 hour plane :-P , i watched V for Vendetta twice. Really interesting and very well done movie. ;-D
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:27 am

footballchick23 wrote:Saw Dr. Strangelove last night and loved it! I'm a big Kubrick fan anyway, but I liked the parody and humor in this film. Peter Sellers is phenomenal as 3 different characters, George C. Scott is hilarious and Slim Pickens is his usual self. I highly recommend it if you haven't already seen it.

Chick...have you ever seen Being There? if you're a Sellars fan it's a must see
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 am

i watched superman returns last night. it was pretty sweet. they used the same score from the originals. the story line wasn't the greatest...but it was good. brandon routh was a good superman, kate bosworth was ok as lois lane, kevin spacey was underutilized as lex luthor. all in all a really fun movie, a little long, but good. I give it a 7.5/10.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby The_Captain » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:36 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
The_Captain wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
louisianacajunsam wrote:haha...i think ya'll just couldnt handle the gore...

dont kid us

Actually, it was the rape scene that forced me to leave. I can handle gore. Those Saw movies didn't bother me. I really couldn't handle the simulated rape though. As a matter of fact, I thought it was illegal to show that, but I guess not. :-t

I don't recall any gore in the first SAW movie, was there gore in the second one?

I guess it would depend on your definition of gore. I think the one guy had his head squashed in a timed trap of some sort. A guy was burned alive I recall. Oh, I've seen all of the Hannibal movies if that counts for gore.

The worst one of the "Hannibal" series, IMO, is "Hannibal" (which also had Gary Oldman in it speaking of...). The disembowling scene of the cop and what he did to Ray Liotta's character at the end was probably as gory as it got but there are worst movies out there. I like Julianne Moore but did not like her as Clarise Starling in this one though I enjoyed all three (or 4 if you count Manhunter) movies.

Really if you want gore - John Carpenters remake of "The Thing" from 1982 was pretty gory. The special effects for that time were incredible but it was a pretty gory movie.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:50 pm

The_Captain wrote:The worst one of the "Hannibal" series, IMO, is "Hannibal" (which also had Gary Oldman in it speaking of...). The disembowling scene of the cop and what he did to Ray Liotta's character at the end was probably as gory as it got but there are worst movies out there. I like Julianne Moore but did not like her as Clarise Starling in this one though I enjoyed all three (or 4 if you count Manhunter) movies.

Really if you want gore - John Carpenters remake of "The Thing" from 1982 was pretty gory. The special effects for that time were incredible but it was a pretty gory movie.

Oh, I'm not looking for gore. I don't shy away from it though. If I think a movie will be good, I'll check it out, whether it has gore or not. My wife likes the horror movies and stuff like that, so I'm just in it for the ride most of the time. Her favorite movie is Seven. :-o
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:51 pm

The_Captain wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
The_Captain wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
louisianacajunsam wrote:haha...i think ya'll just couldnt handle the gore...

dont kid us

Actually, it was the rape scene that forced me to leave. I can handle gore. Those Saw movies didn't bother me. I really couldn't handle the simulated rape though. As a matter of fact, I thought it was illegal to show that, but I guess not. :-t

I don't recall any gore in the first SAW movie, was there gore in the second one?

I guess it would depend on your definition of gore. I think the one guy had his head squashed in a timed trap of some sort. A guy was burned alive I recall. Oh, I've seen all of the Hannibal movies if that counts for gore.

The worst one of the "Hannibal" series, IMO, is "Hannibal" (which also had Gary Oldman in it speaking of...). The disembowling scene of the cop and what he did to Ray Liotta's character at the end was probably as gory as it got but there are worst movies out there. I like Julianne Moore but did not like her as Clarise Starling in this one though I enjoyed all three (or 4 if you count Manhunter) movies.

yeah, those arent bad. Peter Jackson's Dead Alive gets my gore vote, although it's a silly kind of gore
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:59 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
The_Captain wrote:The worst one of the "Hannibal" series, IMO, is "Hannibal" (which also had Gary Oldman in it speaking of...). The disembowling scene of the cop and what he did to Ray Liotta's character at the end was probably as gory as it got but there are worst movies out there. I like Julianne Moore but did not like her as Clarise Starling in this one though I enjoyed all three (or 4 if you count Manhunter) movies.

Oh, I'm not looking for gore. I don't shy away from it though. If I think a movie will be good, I'll check it out, whether it has gore or not. My wife likes the horror movies and stuff like that, so I'm just in it for the ride most of the time. Her favorite movie is Seven. :-o

:-b - sorry ORS, I didn't mean to imply you were looking for a gory movie. I was just making a statement that IMO, of the gory movies I've seen, "The Thing" is the worst so far.

I can take or leave the gore part of a movie. If it's fitting for the movie I have no problem with it but if it's in there for any other reason it's sorta senseless. My wife doesn't do horror very much but she's the one who actually suggested we go to the theater and watch "Hannibal".......

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby footballchick23 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:58 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Chick...have you ever seen Being There? if you're a Sellars fan it's a must see

I haven't seen it...embarassingly enough, Dr. Strangelove is the only Sellers film I've seen. I knew him from the Pink Panther movies, but that's about it. I'll have to add the movie to the Netflix Queue! Thanks!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby giants! » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:06 pm

Just saw two movies- Superman Returns in theaters and Meet the Fockers at home(from the library)

Superman Returns- First Superman ive ever seen, so the storyline was good and original to me. Liked the special efffects and the acting of Spacey,Routh, and Bosworth. The first hour was a long one, but once it got into the heart of the storyline, the time passed quickly. All in all, a good movie that lasted a little too long.
8/10

Meet the Fockers- Situational comedy that is overall half decent. Has some funny scenes and i liked the ending but it didnt have anything special. Would have liked more involvement on Pam's part but DeNiro, Stiller, and Hoffman were good in their roles. 6/10
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk