What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:26 am

Saw Dr. Strangelove last night and loved it! I'm a big Kubrick fan anyway, but I liked the parody and humor in this film. Peter Sellers is phenomenal as 3 different characters, George C. Scott is hilarious and Slim Pickens is his usual self. I highly recommend it if you haven't already seen it.
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2787
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: San Diego-Born & Raised

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:52 am

since i lost my iPod right before i went on an 8 hour plane :-P , i watched V for Vendetta twice. Really interesting and very well done movie. ;-D
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:27 am

footballchick23 wrote:Saw Dr. Strangelove last night and loved it! I'm a big Kubrick fan anyway, but I liked the parody and humor in this film. Peter Sellers is phenomenal as 3 different characters, George C. Scott is hilarious and Slim Pickens is his usual self. I highly recommend it if you haven't already seen it.


Chick...have you ever seen Being There? if you're a Sellars fan it's a must see
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 7054
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: being a fan of the worst franchise in the NFL

Postby moonhead » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:55 am

i watched superman returns last night. it was pretty sweet. they used the same score from the originals. the story line wasn't the greatest...but it was good. brandon routh was a good superman, kate bosworth was ok as lois lane, kevin spacey was underutilized as lex luthor. all in all a really fun movie, a little long, but good. I give it a 7.5/10.
Image
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 15994
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby The_Captain » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:36 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
The_Captain wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
louisianacajunsam wrote:haha...i think ya'll just couldnt handle the gore...

dont kid us


Actually, it was the rape scene that forced me to leave. I can handle gore. Those Saw movies didn't bother me. I really couldn't handle the simulated rape though. As a matter of fact, I thought it was illegal to show that, but I guess not. :-t


I don't recall any gore in the first SAW movie, was there gore in the second one?


I guess it would depend on your definition of gore. I think the one guy had his head squashed in a timed trap of some sort. A guy was burned alive I recall. Oh, I've seen all of the Hannibal movies if that counts for gore.


The worst one of the "Hannibal" series, IMO, is "Hannibal" (which also had Gary Oldman in it speaking of...). The disembowling scene of the cop and what he did to Ray Liotta's character at the end was probably as gory as it got but there are worst movies out there. I like Julianne Moore but did not like her as Clarise Starling in this one though I enjoyed all three (or 4 if you count Manhunter) movies.

Really if you want gore - John Carpenters remake of "The Thing" from 1982 was pretty gory. The special effects for that time were incredible but it was a pretty gory movie.
Image
Image

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13949
Joined: 8 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Lurking somewhere between here and there...

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:50 pm

The_Captain wrote:The worst one of the "Hannibal" series, IMO, is "Hannibal" (which also had Gary Oldman in it speaking of...). The disembowling scene of the cop and what he did to Ray Liotta's character at the end was probably as gory as it got but there are worst movies out there. I like Julianne Moore but did not like her as Clarise Starling in this one though I enjoyed all three (or 4 if you count Manhunter) movies.

Really if you want gore - John Carpenters remake of "The Thing" from 1982 was pretty gory. The special effects for that time were incredible but it was a pretty gory movie.


Oh, I'm not looking for gore. I don't shy away from it though. If I think a movie will be good, I'll check it out, whether it has gore or not. My wife likes the horror movies and stuff like that, so I'm just in it for the ride most of the time. Her favorite movie is Seven. :-o
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:51 pm

The_Captain wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
The_Captain wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
louisianacajunsam wrote:haha...i think ya'll just couldnt handle the gore...

dont kid us


Actually, it was the rape scene that forced me to leave. I can handle gore. Those Saw movies didn't bother me. I really couldn't handle the simulated rape though. As a matter of fact, I thought it was illegal to show that, but I guess not. :-t


I don't recall any gore in the first SAW movie, was there gore in the second one?


I guess it would depend on your definition of gore. I think the one guy had his head squashed in a timed trap of some sort. A guy was burned alive I recall. Oh, I've seen all of the Hannibal movies if that counts for gore.


The worst one of the "Hannibal" series, IMO, is "Hannibal" (which also had Gary Oldman in it speaking of...). The disembowling scene of the cop and what he did to Ray Liotta's character at the end was probably as gory as it got but there are worst movies out there. I like Julianne Moore but did not like her as Clarise Starling in this one though I enjoyed all three (or 4 if you count Manhunter) movies.

Really if you want gore - John Carpenters remake of "The Thing" from 1982 was pretty gory. The special effects for that time were incredible but it was a pretty gory movie.


yeah, those arent bad. Peter Jackson's Dead Alive gets my gore vote, although it's a silly kind of gore
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 7054
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: being a fan of the worst franchise in the NFL

Postby The_Captain » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:59 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
The_Captain wrote:The worst one of the "Hannibal" series, IMO, is "Hannibal" (which also had Gary Oldman in it speaking of...). The disembowling scene of the cop and what he did to Ray Liotta's character at the end was probably as gory as it got but there are worst movies out there. I like Julianne Moore but did not like her as Clarise Starling in this one though I enjoyed all three (or 4 if you count Manhunter) movies.

Really if you want gore - John Carpenters remake of "The Thing" from 1982 was pretty gory. The special effects for that time were incredible but it was a pretty gory movie.


Oh, I'm not looking for gore. I don't shy away from it though. If I think a movie will be good, I'll check it out, whether it has gore or not. My wife likes the horror movies and stuff like that, so I'm just in it for the ride most of the time. Her favorite movie is Seven. :-o


:-b - sorry ORS, I didn't mean to imply you were looking for a gory movie. I was just making a statement that IMO, of the gory movies I've seen, "The Thing" is the worst so far.

I can take or leave the gore part of a movie. If it's fitting for the movie I have no problem with it but if it's in there for any other reason it's sorta senseless. My wife doesn't do horror very much but she's the one who actually suggested we go to the theater and watch "Hannibal".......
Image
Image

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13949
Joined: 8 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Lurking somewhere between here and there...

Postby footballchick23 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:58 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Chick...have you ever seen Being There? if you're a Sellars fan it's a must see


I haven't seen it...embarassingly enough, Dr. Strangelove is the only Sellers film I've seen. I knew him from the Pink Panther movies, but that's about it. I'll have to add the movie to the Netflix Queue! Thanks!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2787
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: San Diego-Born & Raised

Postby giants! » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:06 pm

Just saw two movies- Superman Returns in theaters and Meet the Fockers at home(from the library)

Superman Returns- First Superman ive ever seen, so the storyline was good and original to me. Liked the special efffects and the acting of Spacey,Routh, and Bosworth. The first hour was a long one, but once it got into the heart of the storyline, the time passed quickly. All in all, a good movie that lasted a little too long.
8/10

Meet the Fockers- Situational comedy that is overall half decent. Has some funny scenes and i liked the ending but it didnt have anything special. Would have liked more involvement on Pam's part but DeNiro, Stiller, and Hoffman were good in their roles. 6/10
Image
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106][b]Visit the new and improved GREAT DEBATES forum.[/b][/url]
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2191
Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 6:14 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact