What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:07 am

I liked Signs a lot and 6th sense. Unbreakable was also entertaining.

For those who complain about the aliens... the movie isn't really about aliens... so chill out with all the "Comic Book Guy" logic. B-)

I did think of the water, but then again, there are many substances in concentrated form that would kill us - but we breathe and drink every day (diluted)... the fact that we can smoke cigarettes without instantly dying is proof of that... many of the chemicals in cigarettes, indegest in concentrated form... would kill us 10 times over.

The village was junk, I knew the quasi-twist from the opening scene (no dates on the gravestones) :-°

The new movie is getting HORRIBLE reviews... I'll pass.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:09 am

i've hated them all but sixth sense. suspenful endings are great but when it becomes the staple of your movies it really begins to suck.

just my view point.

my dilemma is this

my girl want's to see lady and i was to see clerks 2 this weekend. there is a large fundemental difference in those two movies. ;-)
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby moonhead » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:26 am

Twisted Sister wrote:I liked Signs a lot and 6th sense. Unbreakable was also entertaining.

For those who complain about the aliens... the movie isn't really about aliens... so chill out with all the "Comic Book Guy" logic. B-)

I did think of the water, but then again, there are many substances in concentrated form that would kill us - but we breathe and drink every day (diluted)... the fact that we can smoke cigarettes without instantly dying is proof of that... many of the chemicals in cigarettes, indegest in concentrated form... would kill us 10 times over.

The village was junk, I knew the quasi-twist from the opening scene (no dates on the gravestones) :-°

The new movie is getting HORRIBLE reviews... I'll pass.

there were too dates on the gravestones.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:29 am

moonhead wrote:

No, there were no YEARS listed on the gravestones... to the tapes!
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:33 am

Twisted Sister wrote:
moonhead wrote:

Whoops, reverse that. YEARS no Days or Months.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moonhead » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:39 am

Twisted Sister wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:
moonhead wrote:

Whoops, reverse that. YEARS no Days or Months.

right. there were years listed.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:47 am

Yes, I thought it made it pretty obvious... Hitchcock would be appalled. A real director would have had the whole date on there and not try to hyperfocus the audience on the years. Also, the years are implied by the attire and speech of the characters - it seemed like overkill.

I sat there in the threater thinking... that was strange, why so much focus on that... then lightbulb... this is his twist. Although, was it really a twist?... because 2/3rds of the way through... it's essentially revealed.

Haven't seen the movie in a long time (did not rent it).
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Postby josebach » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:47 am

I watched the Village a second time and liked it a lot more than the first viewing. Knowing that Adrian Brody was psycho was a lot scarier than thinking it was some stupid monster. If you've only seen it once, I'd give it another shot. I thought his worst movie was Unbreakable and even that was pretty good. The fact that the aliens in Signs couldn't get out of a locked closet and that they would wonder around Earth naked and susceptible to rain didn't make any sense, but the suspense in that movie was top notch. I also really liked the family dynamic he created in Signs. He's an awesome flim maker.

I'm looking forward to Lady in the Water, although my expectations aren't very high. He had a falling out with the production company that made his last 4 films because they didn't like "The Lady in the Water" script. We'll see I guess. I'm going to see it Saturday and will come back and give a review.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:40 pm

josebach wrote:I watched the Village a second time and liked it a lot more than the first viewing. Knowing that Adrian Brody was psycho was a lot scarier than thinking it was some stupid monster. If you've only seen it once, I'd give it another shot. I thought his worst movie was Unbreakable and even that was pretty good. The fact that the aliens in Signs couldn't get out of a locked closet and that they would wonder around Earth naked and susceptible to rain didn't make any sense, but the suspense in that movie was top notch. I also really liked the family dynamic he created in Signs. He's an awesome flim maker.

I'm looking forward to Lady in the Water, although my expectations aren't very high. He had a falling out with the production company that made his last 4 films because they didn't like "The Lady in the Water" script. We'll see I guess. I'm going to see it Saturday and will come back and give a review.

I can see making a point about the "water" thing. Why would aliens want to inhabit the earth when it's 75% water, knowing that they are hurt by it?

But as far as the closet thing.... I don't see anything wrong with that. Humans have put a man on the moon, but if you lock a man in a closet with no weapons or keys, and the closet door is sturdy, he's not going to get out of there very easily, no matter how brilliant he is.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:33 pm

bagobonez wrote:
josebach wrote:I watched the Village a second time and liked it a lot more than the first viewing. Knowing that Adrian Brody was psycho was a lot scarier than thinking it was some stupid monster. If you've only seen it once, I'd give it another shot. I thought his worst movie was Unbreakable and even that was pretty good. The fact that the aliens in Signs couldn't get out of a locked closet and that they would wonder around Earth naked and susceptible to rain didn't make any sense, but the suspense in that movie was top notch. I also really liked the family dynamic he created in Signs. He's an awesome flim maker.

I can see making a point about the "water" thing. Why would aliens want to inhabit the earth when it's 75% water, knowing that they are hurt by it?

But as far as the closet thing.... I don't see anything wrong with that. Humans have put a man on the moon, but if you lock a man in a closet with no weapons or keys, and the closet door is sturdy, he's not going to get out of there very easily, no matter how brilliant he is.

According to the movie, they came for the humans... not for the world. You have to listen to the radio broadcasts in the movie.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk