What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby josebach » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:44 pm

bolkonsky wrote:If Forrest Gump is your gold-standard, then we are on two very different frequencies.

As for Kevin Smith, I think he is an average filmmaker with (fleeting) above-average moments. I went to go see the movie because a) although I am a relatively tough critic, I will see almost anything, and b) I wanted to form my own opinion of a movie that was getting better reviews than I expected.

I chose Forrest Gump because it was nominated for 7 Oscars and won Best Picture. Where it's not one of my favorite movies, I'd have to say it was pretty damn good. It seems you think very highly of yourself and your opinions. I guess it's a good thing for Kevin Smith that arrogant, pretentious people aren't in his target demographic. :-b

As far as Clerks II goes...even Kevin Smith fans don't consider him a great film maker. People like his movies because he makes them laugh. That's it. Kevin Smith movies are lowbrow and light-hearted. He's not a serious "artist" nor does he claim to be. Granted, Chasing Amy, Dogma and Jersey Girl had elements of drama in them, but even they weren't expected to be taken too seriously. Some people go to movies to be entertained... not to feel intellectually superior. Maybe you should lighten up and give it a try?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bolkonsky » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:44 pm

josebach wrote:
bolkonsky wrote:If Forrest Gump is your gold-standard, then we are on two very different frequencies.

As for Kevin Smith, I think he is an average filmmaker with (fleeting) above-average moments. I went to go see the movie because a) although I am a relatively tough critic, I will see almost anything, and b) I wanted to form my own opinion of a movie that was getting better reviews than I expected.

I chose Forrest Gump because it was nominated for 7 Oscars and won Best Picture. Where it's not one of my favorite movies, I'd have to say it was pretty damn good. It seems you think very highly of yourself and your opinions. I guess it's a good thing for Kevin Smith that arrogant, pretentious people aren't in his target demographic. :-b

As far as Clerks II goes...even Kevin Smith fans don't consider him a great film maker. People like his movies because he makes them laugh. That's it. Kevin Smith movies are lowbrow and light-hearted. He's not a serious "artist" nor does he claim to be. Granted, Chasing Amy, Dogma and Jersey Girl had elements of drama in them, but even they weren't expected to be taken too seriously. Some people go to movies to be entertained... not to feel intellectually superior. Maybe you should lighten up and give it a try?

Some people may go to movies solely to be entertained, but I am not one of them. As for feeling intellectually superior, I don't see what that has to do with anything. It seems like you are a bit sensitive to being subjected to precisely that implication by those who wish to see quality work at the theater. Further, instead of engaging in personal attacks perhaps you should provide some analysis besides some rant that reduces to "I like it and if you don't it is because you are an arrogant egghead".

Also, the fact that Forrest Gump was rewarded by the Academy is hardly surprising (given its theme and "feel-good" content), nor is it ample justification for your position. To name a few relatively mainstream movies that expose Forrest Gump for the trite, sensationalistic nonsense that it is:

The Godfather (Parts I and II)
Chinatown
Deer Hunter
North by Northwest
The Shining

If you had chosen something similar to these films at least your reference wouldn't be so ripe for ridicule.

Finally, just because I prefer these films doesn't mean I do not enjoy all types of movies. Old School, Friday and Happy Gilmore, for example and in my opinion, are three of the best comedies to come out in the past 15 years. Certainly none of these films (with the possible exception of Friday) makes any sincere effort to be considered a "serious film" (nose in the air).

Somewhat ironically, given the tone of your post, is that I cannot stand self-important mental masturbation, particularly when it takes itself seriously but also when it is masquerading as "easily accessible". If there is a reason, this is why I am hard on Kevin Smith. I think he is at his best when he sticks to simple and funny, but becomes preachy and self-righteous when he attempts to make more substantive commentary. I can't watch Dogma, Chasing Amy or the end of Mallrats without cringing, but that's just me.
Hello, China? I have something you may want. But it's gonna cost you. That's right. All the tea.
bolkonsky
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:38 pm

bolkonsky wrote:
josebach wrote:

Some people may go to movies solely to be entertained, but I am not one of them. As for feeling intellectually superior, I don't see what that has to do with anything.

The fact that you freely admit that you DO feel intellectually superior is kind of my point. Just because someone likes a movie that you don't, doesn't mean you ARE intellectually superior. Granted, there's a general concensus of what constitutes a good movie and what doesn't, but regardless of to what definition you use, opinion is still opinion. Didn't mean to offend you. One of my shortcomings is that I feel compelled to call people out when they're being smug. What's funny is I've been accused of being smug myself from time to time. I guess everyone has a little hypocrite in them.

Anyway, it's nice to see someone who enjoys movies as much as me. The movies you listed were all top notch. Some of my favorites that I watch time and time again:
Empire of the Sun
A.I.
Hilary and Jackie
Last of the Mohicans
Scarface
Contact
Requiem for a Dream
Election
Amadeus
O' Brother Where Arth Thou
Sideways
Zoolander (yes, Zoolander... don't know why I like this movie so much :-) )
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby SniperShot » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:43 pm

Saw Lady in the Water the night it came out.

I must say it's another very thought provoking Shyamalan movie. Every one of his movies is different and this one is no exception. I would highly recommend it. Go into it with an open mind. It did sucky opening week because America seems to want "cookie cutter" movies today. Sometimes you need to just relax and know it's going to be different and different is not bad is it?

There are many funny moments and some scary. Acting is great as usual, mystery, twists and turns. Shymalan finds a way to put so much into it...

Yeah he is a great director... Probably my favorite out there right now.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby josebach » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:16 am

SniperShot wrote:Saw Lady in the Water the night it came out.

I must say it's another very thought provoking Shyamalan movie. Every one of his movies is different and this one is no exception. I would highly recommend it. Go into it with an open mind. It did sucky opening week because America seems to want "cookie cutter" movies today. Sometimes you need to just relax and know it's going to be different and different is not bad is it?

There are many funny moments and some scary. Acting is great as usual, mystery, twists and turns. Shymalan finds a way to put so much into it...

Yeah he is a great director... Probably my favorite out there right now.

You didn't find it just a little hard to swallow that all the tenants in the apartment didn's ask one question when Paul Giamatti's character asked them to help? "Oh, a Narf needs help? Sure, no problem." "Protect this girl from the grass monster?... Sure, no problem." :-? :-t Not saying my opinion is right, it's just that there were just so many jumps in logic that it distracted me right out of the movie. I'm glad some people like it, because I definitely want him to keep making movies.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby logan » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:01 am

huh i got nothing good out of that movie. i seriously wanted to stab someone when it ended just so i felt that i had accomplished something by paying 20 bucks to see that catastrophe.

ah well to each his own.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby bolkonsky » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:18 pm

josebach wrote:
bolkonsky wrote:
josebach wrote:

Some people may go to movies solely to be entertained, but I am not one of them. As for feeling intellectually superior, I don't see what that has to do with anything.

The fact that you freely admit that you DO feel intellectually superior is kind of my point. Just because someone likes a movie that you don't, doesn't mean you ARE intellectually superior. Granted, there's a general concensus of what constitutes a good movie and what doesn't, but regardless of to what definition you use, opinion is still opinion. Didn't mean to offend you. One of my shortcomings is that I feel compelled to call people out when they're being smug. What's funny is I've been accused of being smug myself from time to time. I guess everyone has a little hypocrite in them.

Anyway, it's nice to see someone who enjoys movies as much as me. The movies you listed were all top notch. Some of my favorites that I watch time and time again:
Empire of the Sun
A.I.
Hilary and Jackie
Last of the Mohicans
Scarface
Contact
Requiem for a Dream
Election
Amadeus
O' Brother Where Arth Thou
Sideways
Zoolander (yes, Zoolander... don't know why I like this movie so much :-) )

I don't think I admitted to believing that I am "intellectually superior"...if it came off that way, it was not how it was intended. What I really meant is that I don't think how one feels about their brain power has to do with anything.

Regardless, I actually agree 100% with your position on smugness.

And...Election is one of my all-time favorites.
Hello, China? I have something you may want. But it's gonna cost you. That's right. All the tea.
bolkonsky
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cardiac cats » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:37 pm

more reviews.

War of the Worlds- 8.5/10 Good sci-fi/action flick. The aliens weren't of the "norm" and the special effects were awesome. However I don't quite get the ending, maybe someone of greater knowledge could spell it out for me(was it our earthly bacteria that destroyed the aliens or what?)...

The Omen- 6.5/10- dissappointed in a word. Way too much dialogue, not enough scares. The movie just seemed to drag on. There were some cool death scenes, almost like final destination in how they were set up. Didn't like the ending..

Bad Santa- 9/10 underrated dark comedy. Billy Bob is so natural as the pissed off, drunk santa. That kid is hilarious too(want me to make you some sandwiches? :-) ). There's also a feel good ending, I like it.

Seed of Chucky- 7/10 this movie exudes "cheese" and plays off like some campy horror/comedy flick. It's very tongue in cheek, but all the while I dug it. Come on, how can you not root for chucky?
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby bagobonez » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:12 pm

cardiac cats wrote:more reviews.

War of the Worlds- 8.5/10 Good sci-fi/action flick. The aliens weren't of the "norm" and the special effects were awesome. However I don't quite get the ending, maybe someone of greater knowledge could spell it out for me(was it our earthly bacteria that destroyed the aliens or what?)...

The Omen- 6.5/10- dissappointed in a word. Way too much dialogue, not enough scares. The movie just seemed to drag on. There were some cool death scenes, almost like final destination in how they were set up. Didn't like the ending..

Bad Santa- 9/10 underrated dark comedy. Billy Bob is so natural as the pissed off, drunk santa. That kid is hilarious too(want me to make you some sandwiches? :-) ). There's also a feel good ending, I like it.

Seed of Chucky- 7/10 this movie exudes "cheese" and plays off like some campy horror/comedy flick. It's very tongue in cheek, but all the while I dug it. Come on, how can you not root for chucky?

Bad Santa is fantastic. ;-D
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby josebach » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:15 pm

bagobonez wrote:
cardiac cats wrote:more reviews.

Bad Santa is fantastic. ;-D

ARE YOU ****ING KIDDING ME?

Definitely one of my favorite comedies. Watching "Bad Santa" and "The Ref" every Christmas season have become somewhat of a tradition at my house. :-b
Last edited by josebach on Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk