What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby bagobonez » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:40 pm

josebach wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
cardiac cats wrote:more reviews.

War of the Worlds- 8.5/10 Good sci-fi/action flick. The aliens weren't of the "norm" and the special effects were awesome. However I don't quite get the ending, maybe someone of greater knowledge could spell it out for me(was it our earthly bacteria that destroyed the aliens or what?)...

The Omen- 6.5/10- dissappointed in a word. Way too much dialogue, not enough scares. The movie just seemed to drag on. There were some cool death scenes, almost like final destination in how they were set up. Didn't like the ending..

Bad Santa- 9/10 underrated dark comedy. Billy Bob is so natural as the pissed off, drunk santa. That kid is hilarious too(want me to make you some sandwiches? :-) ). There's also a feel good ending, I like it.

Seed of Chucky- 7/10 this movie exudes "cheese" and plays off like some campy horror/comedy flick. It's very tongue in cheek, but all the while I dug it. Come on, how can you not root for chucky?

Bad Santa is fantastic. ;-D

ARE YOU SERIOUS?

Definitely one of my favorite comedies. Watching "Bad Santa" and "The Ref" every Christmas season have become somewhat of a tradition at my house. :-b

I didn't s*** right for two weeks!
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:48 am

josebach wrote:I may be wrong, but this totally came across like a vanity project that he didn't care if anybody liked it or not.

That's pretty much his thing.

Personally, I love Night as a director. As a screenwriter, he's been struggling recently. His movies convey the mood so well IMO. However, the public doesn't really care...they want action. I think Unbreakable was my favorite Night movie, but everyone said it was too boring.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:50 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:
josebach wrote:I may be wrong, but this totally came across like a vanity project that he didn't care if anybody liked it or not.

Personally, I love Night as a director. As a screenwriter, he's been struggling recently. His movies convey the mood so well IMO. However, the public doesn't really care...they want action. I think Unbreakable was my favorite Night movie, but everyone said it was too boring.

the keeeeids...they call me mr. glass. :-t
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:17 am

moonhead wrote:
BrutallyHuge wrote:

the keeeeids...they call me mr. glass. :-t

Unbreakable was good, up until the ending... talk about anti-climax. "This is where we shake hands" - lame. What kind of villian just rolls over and gets caught?

A blurb about how the guy gets turned into authorities.

Mr. Glass should have had mental powers.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:01 am

Twisted Sister wrote:Unbreakable was good, up until the ending... talk about anti-climax. "This is where we shake hands" - lame. What kind of villian just rolls over and gets caught?

I don't see him as a prototypical villian. He wanted to find a superhero and he did...although in a terrible misguided way.

He wasn't trying to get rich, evade authorities, rule the world...like the villians of which you're thinking. He accomplished his goal. What else was left for him to do?
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:57 am

I walking through blockbuster and spot a movie with Mel Gibson that I haven't seen (in general I like most of his flicks)... Million Dollar Hotel (2000).

Read the back, Gibson is a detective trying to solve a murder of a powerful media tycon's son... leading him to a hotel where bizarre things happen.

Had an all-star cast and the quote on the back "Mel Gibson's greatest performance."

I was very excited to find this gem... put in the DVD player...

WHAT A PIECE OF GARBAGE! BAD, REAL BAD.

Now I know why I never heard of it. :-[

Anybody else see it?
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:46 am

Twisted Sister wrote:I walking through blockbuster and spot a movie with Mel Gibson that I haven't seen (in general I like most of his flicks)... Million Dollar Hotel (2000).

Read the back, Gibson is a detective trying to solve a murder of a powerful media tycon's son... leading him to a hotel where bizarre things happen.

Had an all-star cast and the quote on the back "Mel Gibson's greatest performance."

I was very excited to find this gem... put in the DVD player...

WHAT A PIECE OF GARBAGE! BAD, REAL BAD.

Now I know why I never heard of it. :-[

Anybody else see it?

Yes, and my opinion was the same as yours. I don't remember the movie very well, I just remember waiting the entire movie for something to happen and it never did.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby bagobonez » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:41 am

You Me and Dupree - 6/10 - Was ok, but never really made me laugh out loud.

Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest - 8/10 - Gets kind of silly, but I guess that was their intent. I liked it.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:27 am

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:Unbreakable was good, up until the ending... talk about anti-climax. "This is where we shake hands" - lame. What kind of villian just rolls over and gets caught?

I don't see him as a prototypical villian. He wanted to find a superhero and he did...although in a terrible misguided way.

He wasn't trying to get rich, evade authorities, rule the world...like the villians of which you're thinking. He accomplished his goal. What else was left for him to do?

Not to mention that giving him mental powers would've destroyed the whole concept of plausible superhero/supervillians.

As for recent movies:

Red Planet - 7/10

I never cared to see this movie, but left it on when Sci-Fi showed it, and I'm glad I did. Its very reality based for a space movie set in the future. It doesnt so much try to be flashy with new technologies, but create a plausible future where earth is pretty much dying from overuse. The movie takes the obligatory time to make some interesting points, but mainly the solid acting carries this film the whole way through.

A Walk to Remember - 6/10

Obviously their was female persuasion involved in seeing this movie. Its long, very long, however as far as chick flicks go, pretty decent. The story is not typical by any means, though it starts that way, and though its long it doesn't really drag on. If you have to score some brownie points, next time you and your significant other are going to rent a movie, suggest this one.

The Run Down - 4/10

I love Christopher Walken, and Sean William Scott isn't a bad actor either, but this is just a really stupid movie. The Rock is pretty much playing the Terminator without being a cyborg. It just wasn't a very good movie by any stretch of the imagination, and the only parts truly worth watching was the one fight scene between the Rock and the rebels, and the parts with the pilot.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:10 pm

saw Miami Vice

Overall, it was a well done movie, but there were a lot of things i didn't like about it. It was very hard to follow, it was dull because there weren't a lot of action scenes (although the ones they had were really good), and Colin Ferrell and Jamie Foxx just don't seem to make great partners.

5/10
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk