What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby maddog60 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:45 pm

citybirds27 wrote:Hey, guys what did you think about Little Man and Nacho Libre?


I won't see little man, and Nacho Libre was terrible. Jack Black couldn't even keep his Spanish accent, he kept slipping into Italian.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 9758
Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:18 am

terpfan wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:I rented a couple DVDs over the weekend both were entertaining.

1.) 16 blocks with bruce willis and some black dude whom I don't know his name but he was most entertaining.
this was a good flick, it had 2 versioins 1 alternate which I watched first then went back and watched the original ending.
I liked the alternate ending better. more depressing but still excellent closure.

The black guy is rapper/actor Mos Def. I actually wanted to see this movie, because I like both of those guys, but I think it got slammed by the critics. Maybe I will check it out.


I recomend it. It's a good entertaining movie. I also recomend watching the alternate ending version first.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8272
Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:07 am

Redskins Win wrote:
2.) the Hills Have Eyes ;-D
I consider myself a bit of a horror film buff. I saw the original Hills back in the 80's probably on beta Max. this one is probably more what Wes Craven had in mind.
This movie gave me alot of jumpy little scares, and not cheesy ones. Plenty of good gore, not Frank Gore he sucks. Also some really disturbing scenes, and well as horror flick goes, i'm inclined to give this one a 9.5/10. Scary gorey, disturbing ;-D


This was my consensus as well. Best horror flick I've seen in a looong time.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Postby cardiac cats » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:46 pm

More reviews...

Wonderland- 8.5/10 stars Val Kilmer and Kate Bosworth. It's about John Holmes life after he was a porn star and deals with his connection to the famous unsolved "wonderland" murders. The movie is told thru flashbacks and from two main different contradicting points of view. It sorta leaves you to make your own decision on what really happened and who did what. Good supporting cast rounds it out.

Benchwarmers- 7/10 Goofball lighthearted comedy thru and thru with lots of cameos. Nick Swardson is great as David Spade's brother who is afraid of the sun ;-D

Willow-10/10 What can I say, it brings back childhood memories. It almost feels like LOTR for the 80's. Good action, adventure, romance, humor... they're all covered. And I found out it's from lucasarts and was directed by Ron Howard(never knew that).

Grandma's Boy- 10/10 I've seen confliciting reviews but I'm here to hail this movie as an instant classic. So many funny parts I wouldn't know where to start... and this Nick Swardson dude is freaking hilarious. Wild movie, I'll def. be picking it up ;-D
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator


Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: south carolina

Postby CC » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:22 pm

I picked up V for Vendetta today and I cannot describe it as anything other than phenomenal. I really like stories about totalitarian governments (I loved 1984) especially when the masses uprise and take their destiny into their own hands, so this was right up my alley.

The story was excellent, the acting was sensational (Portman especially) and it was a cinematic masterpiece. I found it to be very visually and aesthetically appealing.

10/10
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby SniperShot » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:38 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
terpfan wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:I rented a couple DVDs over the weekend both were entertaining.

1.) 16 blocks with bruce willis and some black dude whom I don't know his name but he was most entertaining.
this was a good flick, it had 2 versioins 1 alternate which I watched first then went back and watched the original ending.
I liked the alternate ending better. more depressing but still excellent closure.

The black guy is rapper/actor Mos Def. I actually wanted to see this movie, because I like both of those guys, but I think it got slammed by the critics. Maybe I will check it out.


I recomend it. It's a good entertaining movie. I also recomend watching the alternate ending version first.
I watched 16 blocks when it first came out and I liked it. Mos Def. was great. There were many great scenes and I'm sure I forgot some of the best ones. I should rent it, alternate ending you say? Hmmmm.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7511
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Fairfax, VA

Postby Tiki » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:01 am

I saw Miami Vice the other day. I found it to be very intertaing during the action scenes, and sex scenes. It got a little boring here and there, but I stil thought iot was a sweet movie!

8/10 ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7020
Joined: 25 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: '08 DOM-35.

Postby BrutallyHuge » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:29 am

Watched Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, and The Ring Two.

If you're unfamiliar with the first two, they are directed by Korean director Chan Wook Park. IMO, he's awesome. I love his stuff. He did a revenge "trilogy." I use trilogy loosely because the movies aren't sequential and don't interweave at all. It's just 3 movies he made in a row with revenge in them.

Oldboy and Lady Vengeance were great...with Oldboy being better IMO. I was kinda disappointed by Mr. Vengeance...probably because of high expectations.

They are very dark, very sad, and sometimes very bloody and disgusting. But they are very good movies. If you want to check one out, check out Oldboy...i rented it from Netflix.

For some reason, I just got around to watching The Ring Two. It was kinda lame...some cheap scares and such. The coolest thing was checking IMDB after seeing it...apparently, the girl from the first movie is 16 now, but looks 20+. It's weird because that movie didn't seem that long ago.

And the evil Samara (who looks disgusting in the movie) is super cute in real life! Evil Samara = Kelly Stables
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5971
Joined: 21 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Illadelph

Postby footballchick23 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:52 am

I highly recommend The World's Fastest Indian- not sure if this film went straight to DVD, but it shouldn't have. It stars Anthony Hopkins as Bert Munroe, a 60-something Kiwi who has this 1920's motorcylce called The Indian. He makes his own pistons in his little shack and races it on the beaches of New Zealand. His goal is to make it to the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah for Speed Week to see how fast the bike can really go. Hopkins is tremendous, as usual, and the story is amazing. Very entertaining, hearltfelt, witty, some good action shots...all around a great movie. Hadn't even heard of the movie before until we saw the preview on one of our Netflix movies...glad we didn't skip through those previews like we normally do!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2787
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: San Diego-Born & Raised

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:28 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:Watched Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, and The Ring Two.

If you're unfamiliar with the first two, they are directed by Korean director Chan Wook Park. IMO, he's awesome. I love his stuff. He did a revenge "trilogy." I use trilogy loosely because the movies aren't sequential and don't interweave at all. It's just 3 movies he made in a row with revenge in them.

Oldboy and Lady Vengeance were great...with Oldboy being better IMO. I was kinda disappointed by Mr. Vengeance...probably because of high expectations.

They are very dark, very sad, and sometimes very bloody and disgusting. But they are very good movies. If you want to check one out, check out Oldboy...i rented it from Netflix.

For some reason, I just got around to watching The Ring Two. It was kinda lame...some cheap scares and such. The coolest thing was checking IMDB after seeing it...apparently, the girl from the first movie is 16 now, but looks 20+. It's weird because that movie didn't seem that long ago.

And the evil Samara (who looks disgusting in the movie) is super cute in real life! Evil Samara = Kelly Stables


I've seen 2 of the 3 vengeance movies - Oldboy and Mr. Vengeance. I love those movies, can't wait to see Lady Vengeance. Chan Won Pak is the shiznut. ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 12527
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 3:42 hours
(and 57 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact