What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:28 am

checked out 2 new releases:

finding neverland : jonny depp stars in a peter pan story with a twist. actually it was a pretty good flick. great acting by depp. 8/10

the final cut: robin williams stars in this movie about a world that has implants in peoples brains so that we can see their memories after they die. its kinda a suspense/drama with a hint of thriller 8-o anyways..interesting movie..one of those ones that gets you thinking about the "what ifs".. 8/10
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:42 pm

I rewatched The Fifth Element last night.That movie holds up well.But then again,anything would hold up well with Milla Jovovich running around half naked!She even made the awful Resident Evil movie watchable.Combined with Bruce the bad-ass,Gary freakin' Oldman(one of the greatest actors of our time),and Luc Besson's vision,makes this movie one of my most enjoyable films.I give it a 9/10. ;-D
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Goatwhacker » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:08 pm

Watched Flight of the Phoenix. I've seen the original and thought it was good but not great, this version wasn't as good as that. Lots of over-acting, strange camera angles, and weird background music. Still, it was watchable and had Miranda Otto in it, so I give it 6/10.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Canacuna » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:11 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:I rewatched The Fifth Element last night.That movie holds up well.But then again,anything would hold up well with Milla Jovovich running around half naked!She even made the awful Resident Evil movie watchable.Combined with Bruce the bad-ass,Gary freakin' Oldman(one of the greatest actors of our time),and Luc Besson's vision,makes this movie one of my most enjoyable films.I give it a 9/10. ;-D

Hoo, that's a good one. I like everything about it, other than Oldman's lack of screen time and Chris Tucker in general. Plus, Milla is one of my faves. ;-D I'll have to watch that again this week.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:20 pm

i watched the old school movie pirahna. i remember when i was pretty young this movie scared the crap out of me...kinda like jaws did.. now when i see it i laugh. the special effects of the people getting chewed up, and especially the fish...were pretty unreal. it showed underwater views of a group of the pirahna moving through the water and it looked like pieces of plastic...they werent even moving...just stiff being pulled along by a string or something. its amazing how far special effects have come on the last 20 years!!! anyways ill give it 6/10 :-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nilmerf » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:30 am

I saw Apocalypse Now, and The Shining. Boy, when they say that the black guy always gets it first.. they weren't exaggerating! Two movies at random!

First, Apocalypse Now. I remember watching the helicopter attack scene in junior high history class.. but I never saw the full movie. Blasting Wagner music whilst gunning civilians from the sky? Is it wrong for me to cheer? Probably yes. It's funny because that scene and the following speech by Duvall are head and shoulders above the rest of the movie. Worth seeing just for that. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning... ...smells like.. victory."

The Shining was great. I wish I watched it when was younger though.. I don't get scared from movies anymore. I hate the fact that I took a film class too, cause I always notice stuff like the great camera work when Danny was riding the bike. Haha.

Interesting difference between an actor like Jack Nicholson and one like Robert Duvall I noticed. Jack Nicholson is always playing the same character, no matter what movie. A deranged eccentric guy. He's excellent at it though. Duvall on the other hand, is amazingly ranged. I can't even believe Tom from the Godfather and Colonel Kilgore are the same guy.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Superman in Training » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:52 am

Nilmerf wrote:I saw Apocalypse Now, and The Shining. Boy, when they say that the black guy always gets it first.. they weren't exaggerating! Two movies at random!

First, Apocalypse Now. I remember watching the helicopter attack scene in junior high history class.. but I never saw the full movie. Blasting Wagner music whilst gunning civilians from the sky? Is it wrong for me to cheer? Probably yes. It's funny because that scene and the following speech by Duvall are head and shoulders above the rest of the movie. Worth seeing just for that. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning... ...smells like.. victory."

The Shining was great. I wish I watched it when was younger though.. I don't get scared from movies anymore. I hate the fact that I took a film class too, cause I always notice stuff like the great camera work when Danny was riding the bike. Haha.

Interesting difference between an actor like Jack Nicholson and one like Robert Duvall I noticed. Jack Nicholson is always playing the same character, no matter what movie. A deranged eccentric guy. He's excellent at it though. Duvall on the other hand, is amazingly ranged. I can't even believe Tom from the Godfather and Colonel Kilgore are the same guy.

Nilmerf,
Two of my fav movies of all time there! Makes me want to go watch them again... I live 45 min. from the lodge that the Shinning was shot at....
Have you seen " Chinatown" or "The Last Detail" These are two movies starring Jack before he became "Jack" .. you know the same character he always is.. He descovered that character in "One Flew Over the Cooko's Nest" and really never changed since.... anyway .. if you haven't seen them check them out .. they are good flicks..
Also you taking film class I am sure you probably know this, but did you know that in the movie "The Shinning" Stanley Kubrick invented the "steady cam" shot.. this is that camera work when they follow the boy and at the end in the maze.... and now it is a film technique in almost every film directors arsenol..
Just some stuff i thought I would share ;-D
Superman in Training
Head Coach
Head Coach

Web Supporter

Postby Nilmerf » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:59 am

You live near that lodge? That's awesome, I was actually wondering when the movie first started and they showed the scenery where it was.. I thought it looked very similar to the Fraser Canyon, for all you BC'ers out there. Which reminds me, I'll be driving all the way through there in about a month.

So where is it? I would say it definitely looks like west coast North America.

And I tried to rent Chinatown but it was out.. :~(
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Superman in Training » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:51 am

Nilmerf wrote:You live near that lodge? That's awesome, I was actually wondering when the movie first started and they showed the scenery where it was.. I thought it looked very similar to the Fraser Canyon, for all you BC'ers out there. Which reminds me, I'll be driving all the way through there in about a month.

Indeed it is....
Timberline Lodge Mt. Hood, Oregon ;-D
Superman in Training
Head Coach
Head Coach

Web Supporter

Postby SeaWolf » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:08 pm

Superman in Training wrote:
Nilmerf wrote:You live near that lodge? That's awesome, I was actually wondering when the movie first started and they showed the scenery where it was.. I thought it looked very similar to the Fraser Canyon, for all you BC'ers out there. Which reminds me, I'll be driving all the way through there in about a month.

Indeed it is....
Timberline Lodge Mt. Hood, Oregon ;-D

Timberline? No flippen way. I'll have to watch the movie to verify. Been to Timberline a few times, and never noticed.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk