What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:17 am

Redskins Win wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:
The_Captain wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:My friend scored some free passes to see Silent Hill. I went in with low expectations since most video game movies are garbage. Suprisingly, Silent Hill was not bad at all. I give it 7/10 stars. If you have ever played the original Silent Hill game then the beginning of the movie will be very familiar to you. Later on into the movie, the plot branches out away from the video game (Big Schocker!)

What I liked most about the movie was the great score and stunning visuals. The movie makers did a great job capturing the Silent Hill look and feel. The movie does lack a bit of punch in the horror department and the story is a bit hard to follow. All in all it was a decent horror flick that could have been better but also could have been much worse than what it was.

I saw Silent Hill this afternoon and I would only give it a 5 / 10.

While I never played the video game I was familiar with the story and wanted to see how this transcended onto the screen. I thought the special effects were good and the gore was tame at best but two things bothered me about this movie:

1. I agree with Jimboozie - the plot was very difficult to follow. There was a lot of bouncing back and forth between this world and the "other" world and the connection between the two got lost.

2. The end - yet another movie which failed to tie up the loose ends. I was left scratching my head and saying to myself "that's it?"

Overall it wasn't bad but a little less difficult plot and a better ending might have gotten me to give it a better score.

i agree with these summaries.

i have played all of the silent hill games, and beaten two of them. the cinematography was on point, as was the mood...but it just seemed lacking. the game itself often dealt with world shifting, so i had a better understanding of the movie than a person that hadnt played the game....i could see how that could throw a lot of people off.

overall i would say this movie did nothing for me....and the ending was horrible.

I am in 1000% in agreement. I really expected this to be scarey. it wasn't. it was entertaining and disjointed.

J2thez929 wrote:I saw V for Vendetta. Awesome! Great story line, acting, and V was just cool as the other side of the pillow. Very good thinking movie!

10/10

You are on CRACK. that movie BLOWS, and by BLOWS I mean suks. :-t

i watched it again the other day...i think maybe it's just over your head RW ;-7
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:18 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:
The_Captain wrote:
Jimboozie wrote:My friend scored some free passes to see Silent Hill. I went in with low expectations since most video game movies are garbage. Suprisingly, Silent Hill was not bad at all. I give it 7/10 stars. If you have ever played the original Silent Hill game then the beginning of the movie will be very familiar to you. Later on into the movie, the plot branches out away from the video game (Big Schocker!)

What I liked most about the movie was the great score and stunning visuals. The movie makers did a great job capturing the Silent Hill look and feel. The movie does lack a bit of punch in the horror department and the story is a bit hard to follow. All in all it was a decent horror flick that could have been better but also could have been much worse than what it was.

While I never played the video game I was familiar with the story and wanted to see how this transcended onto the screen. I thought the special effects were good and the gore was tame at best but two things bothered me about this movie:

1. I agree with Jimboozie - the plot was very difficult to follow. There was a lot of bouncing back and forth between this world and the "other" world and the connection between the two got lost.

2. The end - yet another movie which failed to tie up the loose ends. I was left scratching my head and saying to myself "that's it?"

Overall it wasn't bad but a little less difficult plot and a better ending might have gotten me to give it a better score.

i agree with these summaries.

i have played all of the silent hill games, and beaten two of them. the cinematography was on point, as was the mood...but it just seemed lacking. the game itself often dealt with world shifting, so i had a better understanding of the movie than a person that hadnt played the game....i could see how that could throw a lot of people off.

overall i would say this movie did nothing for me....and the ending was horrible.

I am in 1000% in agreement. I really expected this to be scarey. it wasn't. it was entertaining and disjointed.

J2thez929 wrote:I saw V for Vendetta. Awesome! Great story line, acting, and V was just cool as the other side of the pillow. Very good thinking movie!

10/10

You are on CRACK. that movie BLOWS, and by BLOWS I mean suks. :-t

i watched it again the other day...i think maybe it's just over your head RW ;-7

pssssh I've seen more than once, it's crap.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wickerkat » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:58 pm

i thought v was OK to good - not terrible not fantastic

peace,
richard
wickerkat
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:03 pm

i went into V thinking it would be more of an action movie. i enjoyed it, but i just went into it with the wrong mindframe i think. it is a good movie though.

the fight scene at the end with the tracers was insane ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:35 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:i went into V thinking it would be more of an action movie. i enjoyed it, but i just went into it with the wrong mindframe i think. it is a good movie though.

the fight scene at the end with the tracers was insane ;-D

I guess I had the right mindframe going into this movie. I can see why action buffs would be highly disappointed in this movie. Oh well, I enjoyed it.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:35 pm

The_Captain wrote:

**MAJOR SPOILERS** as I explain the entire movie for those of you who say it makes no sense...

Dahlia Gillespie had a daughter named Alessa. No one knew who her father was. Alessa was not liked by children or adults...a group of religious fanatics, led by Christabella, believed that this innocent was a witch and needed to be cleansed (that means killed)so that evil would not invade their community. Dahlia agreed because she was so fearful of this group and their promised %#!%& of her if she didn't agree. They burnt poor little Alessa, but the sacrifice went wrong and killed everyone in the cult...That's right, THEY'RE ALL DEAD...All of them are stuck in limbo...purgatory if you will. (It's kinda like the bad ending in the 1st game, by bad it means you didn't complete everything there was to do in the game.) In this purgatory, Alessa's pain and anguish turn to hatred and a desire for revenge...Her hatred is so great that the bed ridden Alessa breaks off into two parts...Her dark side and everything that is light in Alessa. They don't want her light side to be overtaken by the hatred, so to protect her they take her to an orphanage...there is also another reason for this.

Rose and Chris Da Silva want to adopt a child. And although she's adopted, Sharon is Rose's daughter; She knew it from the moment she saw her...

But as Sharon gets older, she starts sleep walking and having nightmares about a place called "Silent Hill"...She is being called back by Alessa...the other part of herself, and she's supposed to bring Rose with her (because Rose is the one Alessa really needs)...so, Rose takes Sharon to the town of Silent Hill.

Along the way they meet up with a cop, Cybil Bennett, who is suspicious of Sharon's outburst...The movie even explains why Cybil would be so suspicious of something not that out of the ordinary; You see, in the past, she found a little boy dumped in a well by a psychopath and had to stay in the well with the boy until help came, to keep him from dying...so Cybil is probably almost paranoid when it comes to children...Cybil follows Rose and Sharon into Silent Hill an abandoned old coal mining town that is still burning underground...As soon as they enter the city limits, a ghostly figure of a girl runs out into the road in front of Rose's car and causes then to wreck...Could it be Alessa? Rose smacks her head hard...We later find out that Cybil wrecked and smacked her head as well...Hmmnn...

So, now they're in the town, so let's speed it up...Alessa's revenge is the darkness that turns everything dark and hellish...The siren on the church is to warn all the cult members to get to the church because the darkness can't get in there...Alessa sent her light part out so that she could bring someone back, like Rose, because Alessa needs Rose to take her into the church, because Rose can go into the church...where she can then finally get her revenge on those that mercilessly destroyed her...The only way that Rose could get into purgatory and help is by...that's right, by dying...Rose and Cybil both died in the accident. No Cybil wasn't needed by Alessa, she just basically got caught up in a bad situation. You can tell that they're dead because when Chris goes to the town with the cop, the town is abandoned, but completely normal and...this is the big one...Rose can run right through him...and at the end, that's why Rose and Sharon are still in the haze, but Chris is completely clear.

But no, there is a completely other level to this movie...Alessa was a sweet innocent that people decided was a hethen because she seemingly had no father...Sound familiar? The fanatics sacrifice her, but she comes back, almost as if resurrected...get it? She's almost crucified there at the end...there are rows of thorns (that would be the barbed wire) everywhere...

And yes, all of this IS explained in the movie.. This is what we call an intelligent movie. The filmmakers actually expected audiences to think and assumed that they had the capacity to do so.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WickedSmaat » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:17 am

Well, we rented a couple of Movies:

Benchwarmers: :-P need I say more?
Freedomland: :-P wanted to quit watching after 30 minutes. Just didn't interest me at all
V for Vendetta: After seeing this, I really wish I would have seen it in the theaters. I thought this was a really good movie and definately wasn't what I expected out of it, being that I don't remember much of the trailers, didn't read the back of the dvd, but knew I wanted to watch it. Good movie, I give it an 8, good enough to rent but don't know if I'll fork out for the DVD so I can see it anytime. Or atleast the wife won't, she fell asleep :-/
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby cardiac cats » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:58 pm

that's confusing as hell bag :~( ... which leads me to this-

Silent Hill-6/10 A generous six. Some very cool visuals and some very freaky moments/characters/creatures. The Wires of death at the end were very creative too. But the plot was so confusing and the ending was pretty weak. I wanted to like this movie more...

some others

Seven-9/10 I may have already reviewed this. Great crime-thriller about seven deadly sins. Interesting dynamic between Morgan Freeman(old school-methodical) and Brad Pitt(young,eager, fueled by emotion). And the ending is classic stuff.

Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith -9/10 This is my 1st star wars movie seen in its entirety. Good plot with plenty of scheming from the dark side that leads anakin astray. Great special effects, some epic battles with lightsabers(esp. the final battle between obi-wan and anakin).... and yeah we get to see the birth of darth vader.

Anchorman: Legend of Ron Burgundy- 8.5/10 Finally got around to seeing it after I've heard many things. Pretty goofy throughout with plenty of memorable, quotable lines. I loved the cameos and the battle between all the news teams was hilarious.
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby davidmarver » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:13 pm

Beerfest - The movie definitely had some good humor in it, however the acting wasn't that great and the movie was pretty predictable. That said, it reminded me a lot of Euro Trip, and I think it's worth seeing; maybe not for $6 but give it a rent.

6/10.
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:17 pm

davidmarver wrote:Beerfest - The movie definitely had some good humor in it, however the acting wasn't that great and the movie was pretty predictable. That said, it reminded me a lot of Euro Trip, and I think it's worth seeing; maybe not for $6 but give it a rent.

6/10.

euro trip? i haven't seen beerfest and i know it is exponentially better than euro trip. that was the worst movie i have ever seen. it reminded me of a film i made in high school, except our budget was larger. :-t
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk