What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DUKE » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:15 pm

I'll echo SIT's sentiments regarding Chinatown. It's a fabulous movie, and probably as "good as it gets" with Nicholson. (pun intended :-b )
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Superman in Training » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:44 pm

SeaWolf wrote:
Superman in Training wrote:
Nilmerf wrote:You live near that lodge? That's awesome, I was actually wondering when the movie first started and they showed the scenery where it was.. I thought it looked very similar to the Fraser Canyon, for all you BC'ers out there. Which reminds me, I'll be driving all the way through there in about a month.

So where is it? I would say it definitely looks like west coast North America.

And I tried to rent Chinatown but it was out.. :~(

Indeed it is....
Timberline Lodge Mt. Hood, Oregon ;-D

Timberline? No flippen way. I'll have to watch the movie to verify. Been to Timberline a few times, and never noticed.

Yeah.. next time you go there check it out!
Pretty spooky ! I try not to think about it when I am there! :-/

"One Flew Over the Cockoo's Nest" was filimed in the town I live it too... ;-D
Superman in Training
Head Coach
Head Coach

Web Supporter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:50 pm

DUKE wrote:I'll echo SIT's sentiments regarding Chinatown. It's a fabulous movie, and probably as "good as it gets" with Nicholson. (pun intended :-b )

Say, is the movie "The Two Jakes" a sequel to "Chinatown" and is it a decent film? I've always wondered.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Superman in Training » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:59 pm

Yeah it is the sequel.... It is actually Directed by Jack, but it doesn't have very good reviews.. I have never seen it though

Hard to get any better then Roman Polanski as a director though
Superman in Training
Head Coach
Head Coach

Web Supporter

Postby DUKE » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:07 pm

Dr.DD: Yes, The Two Jakes is the sequel to Chinatown. It is definitely a worthy movie. But, again, it's not quite on the level of Chinatown, like so many sequels. But, it is still a good movie, especially if you've seen Chinatown, because it sort of gives a closure or conclusion. Nicholson directed this movie, which is where you'll find most criticism stemming from. I tend to agree, but Polanski was masterful in Chinatown, which immediately sets some loft shoes to fill for a sequel. The writer of Chinatown and The Two Jakes (Robert Towne) was supposed to direct The Two Jakes, but was bumped from doing it in favor of Nicholson. I would've liked to see what Towne could've done directing it, but obviously that's hindsight. Still, if you see Chinatown, you should see The Two Jakes.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Superman in Training » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:16 pm

DUKE wrote:Dr.DD: Yes, The Two Jakes is the sequel to Chinatown. It is definitely a worthy movie. But, again, it's not quite on the level of Chinatown, like so many sequels. But, it is still a good movie, especially if you've seen Chinatown, because it sort of gives a closure or conclusion. Nicholson directed this movie, which is where you'll find most criticism stemming from. I tend to agree, but Polanski was masterful in Chinatown, which immediately sets some loft shoes to fill for a sequel. The writer of Chinatown and The Two Jakes (Robert Towne) was supposed to direct The Two Jakes, but was bumped from doing it in favor of Nicholson. I would've liked to see what Towne could've done directing it, but obviously that's hindsight. Still, if you see Chinatown, you should see The Two Jakes.

Cool.. maybe i will check it out too ;-D Thanks Duke!
Superman in Training
Head Coach
Head Coach

Web Supporter

Postby kanezfan11 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:03 pm

Watched Lethal Weapon 3 the other day and I'm still impressed. Awesome action parts and still funny. I have to say this is one of the few series where there's not much of a downgrade of movies as the sequel goes on. 9/10.

I also got The Incredibles and the Back To The Future complete set for my b-day the other day. I think I'm gonna have to watch The Incredibles right now since I've seen all these reviews in here.
Last edited by kanezfan11 on Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby DUKE » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:42 pm

I watched Empire Of The Sun again over the weekend. I first watched it on cable a long time ago, as I'm a huge fan of Christian Bale's acting. This one is when he was a kid. It is an absolute brilliant performance and a great movie. He (Bale) is a child in this performance, but is as good as any kid I've seen on film. I've always loved this movie and seem to go back and watch it from time to time. John Malkovich is also in it and is also very good, though Bale steals the show IMO. I think this movie deserves more props than what it gets and would definitely recomend it. I give it 8/10.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kanezfan11 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:00 pm

Update

I kind of expected a little bit more out of the Incredibles because of all the great reviews and hype, but it was still awesome nonetheless. I'm kind of more connected to movies where you feel like you know the character in it.
kanezfan11
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:06 pm

I don't know if anyone has talked about it but I saw the Ring Two over the weekend. If you really liked the first one then you will most likely be disappointed. Nothing too new, fresh, or scary to say about this sequel. Sadly, its just a typical sequel to cash in on the first one's success :-t One positve I want to note was the special effects during a scene inside the bathroom. That was pretty off the hook ;-D

Bottomline- Rent with the wifey or girlfriend
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk