What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:53 pm

ROCKY! ROCKY! ROCKY!

We enjoyed it, but we're children of the 80's. It was a little slow and could've done alot more with his training, but overall, fairly predictable and nonetheless entertaining.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cardiac cats » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:38 pm

I bought A Scanner Darkly.

Wow 10/10. They use some crazy rotoscope animation which really separates this film from others(a la Waking Life). Great cast too :Woody Harrelson, Keanu Reeves, and Robert Downey Jr all in top from. Just a great, trippy movie. One that begs to be watched over and over again. Highly recommended ;-D
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:50 pm

Boy have a I caught a laundry list of bad movies on the TV recently:

King Kong - 2/10.

Yes, lets explore the brand new uncharted island, and leave all the men with guns on the boat. And when we're walking past sacrificial altars with human remains on them, let's still leave the men with guns on the boat. The CGI work during the dinosaur chase was terrible for a movie with this budget, and kicking a dinosaur in the mouth while running at full speed, right... Don't even get me started on the kid who had sniper like marksmanship with a tommy gun, and that the bullets didn't pass through the creatures and into the guy he was shooting them off of.

Date Movie - 0/10

I dont know how you could go so wrong with such a bevy of movies to drawn parodies from, but they simply could not make anything funny. They seemed to think that name dropping bad movies would somehow be funny, and certainly made no effort to emulate the excellence of Not Another Teen Movie. For instance: having a nobody say "Who knew everyone at our school was a professional dancer?" at prom = funny. Having a magazine with an article that says "How to lose a girl in 10 days." = not funny. The only watchable parts were the non-parody moments.

Sahara - 6/10

The musical selection for this movie was great, and the casting superb, but after reading the book, it really didn't deliver. It was fun, but nothing special, and they skipped over some of the more unique things about the book's plot. Worth one watch though, nothing more though.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby houstonherdfan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:50 pm

Sandrock wrote:It's 1 am and I just got back from an advance screening of We Are Marshall. I hate watching Matthew Mcsomething, but he actually does a decent job in this movie. Overall, the movie is good. It's a bit long though, over 2 hours but definitely worth sitting through.

I just saw it for the first time in the movie theaters. I saw it in real life as an 8 year old growing up in Huntington WV. Thr most amazing thing is the hollywood stayed pretty true to the actual events. Not like they normally do. Taking a story and fictionalize it. here is alot that was not in the movie mostly I would guess because of time constraints. Anyone interested in understanding more about the termoil and feelings of the school and town, there is a documentery called Ashes to Glory you should see.

I give MM an avereage job in his role and Mathew Fox should at least be nominated for Best supporting Actor at the Oscars if not win it. He did an amazing job as Red Dawson.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:37 am

Saw two everybody else has probably seen already...

Nacho Libre - I give it maybe 6/10. The first half dragged but things did pick up and there were a few laughs. It was directed by the guy who directed Napoleon Dynamite, another movie I thought dragged but that a lot of people seemed to like.

Talledega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby - I am not a huge Will Ferrell fan (I hated Anchorman) but I ended up liking this movie. Sometimes when you go in with low expectations you are pleasantly surprised and that was the case with me and this movie. There is a always a danger with comedies they will slip into just being stupid- this one manages to be stupid and funny at the same time (I mean that in a good way). Overall 7.5/10.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:31 am

Watched a lot of movies in the past few days. :-°

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Pretty fun movie. Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow is awesome. Looking forward to the 3rd movie. ;-D

The DaVinci Code
Wasn't expecting much from this, since in my experience, book adaptations almost NEVER live up to the book. But it had been a while since I've read the book, so the movie was decent IMO. Tom Hank's hair was attrocious though. Basically, I think I kinda liked the movie because I had low expectations for it, lol.

Invincible
Decent football movie. I just wish Hollywood would make more football movies that aren't inspirational. Sport movies can be other things besides feel-good or slapstick comedy, right?

Click
I've always had a soft spot for Adam Sandler movies, but he either needs to go back to his Happy Gilmore days or go entirely to dramedies. Click wasn't as funny as I thought it could have been and actually got pretty serious at the end. Don't want to ruin it, but I didn't think an Adam Sandler movie would ever tug that hard on my heartstrings. A bit too long too, as the point of the movie repeated a couple times too often.

Mission Impossible 3
Blech...
Tom Cruise ran around too much in this movie and the plot was nonexistent. How many high-level moles can an intelligence organization have anyways. :-t

Superman Returns
I thought this a decent movie, but I kinda wished Superman had more stuff to do besides fly around and fix minor things. I echo the sentiment someone brought up, how Warner Bros should have reinvented the franchise ala Batman Begins. Eh, I hope the next one picks up the action quotient and brings in a villain that Superman can pound. Routh does a nice Christopher Reeve impression, but he needs a haircut for the next one and the writers need to think up some scenes where Superman does more than speak in monotone.

Slither
Medium budget horror zombie flick. Had some funny moments, and a decent amount of gore, if you're into that kind of stuff. Worth a rental for anyone who likes horror with a bit of dark humor thrown in, like Shaun of the Dead.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:41 am

watched invincible last night in my hotel room. mark wahlberg did a good job, and it was a good overall movie. nothing spectacular, but still good.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:29 pm

Watched a few more since my last post, lol.

Rocky Balboa
Good end to the Rocky saga and a much more satisfying end than Rocky V ever was. Funny thing about this one though, is that the actual fight at the end kinda seemed out of place, lol. And the fight was filmed in a more realistic fashion this time, and fairly subdued at that too. I think I read that Stallone wanted this to be a family movie, so the brutality associated with boxing was toned down a bit.

I could talk about this movie some more, but don't want to spoil anything for anyone. Except for this: Mike Tyson makes a cameo. Seemed out of place considering his reputation, but his little bit was amusing.

Blood Diamond
Good movie, and something all guys should make their wife/girlfriend/significant other watch if they want to blunt any clamoring for some expensive jewelry with a big-@ss rock on it. Action and violence mixed with a social/political agenda is basically what this movie is. Any fans of Hotel Rwanda should like this movie. Likely will draw Oscar nominations for DiCaprio, Connelly, and Hounsou.

The Pursuit of Happyness
Decent movie and should pull in a lot of money as usual from a Will Smith flick. Being the type of story that it is, namely an inspirational movie based on a true story, the audience pretty much knows how the movie will turn out. However, I wasn't prepared for how depressing the guy's story was. Will Smith's character gets hit with setback after setback until it seems like he can't possibly get stuck with more problems. Movie basically ends with his payoff and then some text that details Chris Gardner's success becoming a millionaire.

Movie may hit some folks hard though, since many people will be able to relate to financial turmoil, but the movie was a bit too long in showing Chris's downward spiral IMO. Overall, a decent movie that is probably Will Smith's second bid for an Oscar after his Ali movie failed to win him one. Surprising acting from his son too, who plays his onscreen son in the movie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PACKman1144 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:33 pm

Watched: It's a Wonderful Life

10/10

Nuff said.
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby aldridg6in » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:21 pm

I finally got around to watching Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest this afternoon. Not quite as good as the first, but still very solid itself. Sets up for the 3rd movie quite nicely...I can't wait to see it next year.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk