What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:43 pm

josebach wrote:I know I'm going to get it for this one.

Sound of Music - I watched it for about the 10th time. This is by far one of the best movies ever made. After I watched it, I watched all the special features for the first time and learned that a lot of what happend in the movie was really true. For example, the actual Von Trapp family really had 7 children. I always thought they chose 7 for the sake of the musical element to represent the 7 notes A,B,C,D,E,F and G. Absolutely awesome movie. 10/10

My family has had this movie on DVD for a while, but I've never gotten around to watching more than 5 minutes of this. I just don't have any interest in it.

Few more I've watched since my last post.
Miami Vice
I liked the realism Michael Mann tried to impart with his filming style, but that probably attributed in part to it's mediocre ratings and criticism. Colin Farrel's mustache was horrible by the way, and I'm still trying to determine what was worse, Farrel's mustache or Tom Hanks' hair from DaVinci Code. Gong Li was an interesting choice to play her role, but her accent made it very tough to understand what she was saying half the time. Didn't help that she spoke Spanish sometimes either.

Very cool scene in the beginning though, and probably the first time I've ever seen the Barret .50 cal sniper rifle in action in a movie. Pretty realistic results too, as the snipers fired into a car and blew off limbs and stuff.

My Super Ex Girlfriend
Interesting premise, but overall a disappointing movie. Luke Wilson does his usual shtick and Uma Thurman does a nice neurotic, paranoid woman, but some shoddy CGI effects and weak story kills the movie. Worth a rental I suppose, if you like Luke Wilson.

The Devil Wears Prada
Pretty good movie. Anyone who has a crazy, over-demanding boss should get a kick out of this movie. Meryl Streep plays her role with extreme understatement, but it's very effective in scaring the crap out of everyone around her, LOL. Loved the part where she pretty much tells her assistant to get her the unpublished manuscript for the last Harry Potter book for her kids or else the assistant is fired. The fact that this movie is based on the fashion industry shouldn't turn anyone off either, because people who know it will understand while everyone else can sit there and laugh at the ridiculousness of some of it, lol.

The Last Kiss
Since Zach Braff was the star of this movie, I was expecting something similar to his last movie, Garden State, but this is nothing like it. It's a relationship movie, but very cynical about it. Definitely not a date movie, unless you want to spend the evening afterwards arguing about which characters in the movie were right or wrong. Overall a decent movie, but probably something to watch only if you're currently in a happy relationship or single. Otherwise, the problems the characters have in the movie may hit home a bit too hard and depress the crap out of you.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:58 pm

Invincible: One of the problems with having seen a lot of movies is you start to feel like you've seen it all before. That was the case with this movie, which is essentially a pro version of Rudy, but also incorporates all kinds of stereotypes and cliches from other movies, too.

I went over to imdb.com and this movie has a rating of 7.0, which means a lot of people liked it. I thought Greg Kinnear did an excellent job as Dick Vermeil. I didn't care for Mark Wahlberg much though, I thought Sean Astin was much better in Rudy. Elizabeth Banks was nice to look at. The rest of the actors were uniformly awful - think every local bar/union member/Eagle fan/football player/grizzled father stereotype you know and it's here. Does everybody in Philadelphia have a Brooklyn accent? (maybe they do, I haven't been there very often)

The action scenes were overwrought with the usual Disney dramatic music playing. The Eagles fans are a bunch of buffoons.

I give it a 5/10, mostly because it's a true story and of Greg Kinnear.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:07 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:Does everybody in Philadelphia have a Brooklyn accent? (maybe they do, I haven't been there very often)

LOL, I said the same thing to my brother who watched this with me. I never knew there were so many "aye" talians with NY accents in Philly, lol.

I was also more interested in Kinnear's Vermeil too. Kinda didn't care too much about the main character, since it was his movie, we pretty much already know how the movie will end even if a totally football-ignorant person watched the movie.

Anyways, if Hollywood ever make a Dick Vermeil life story movie, Kinnear should do it. And Vermeil's wife was hot in the movie. Kinda curious to see if his real wife looked anything like that, lol.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Popcynical » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:25 pm

I saw The 40 Year Old Virgin for the first time last night... hilarious.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:21 pm

Jacob's Ladder: First saw this one about 15 years ago and it was always one of my faves. Picked up the DVD before Christmas because I wanted to see it on my big screen and finally got around to watching it last night. Was great to watch it again! Highly reccomend the DVD with it's deleted scenes and it's 30 minute "making of" documentary with interviews with the director and writer. A definite must-see!
;-D ;-D ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby Metroid » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:31 pm

stomperrob wrote:Jacob's Ladder: First saw this one about 15 years ago and it was always one of my faves. Picked up the DVD before Christmas because I wanted to see it on my big screen and finally got around to watching it last night. Was great to watch it again! Highly reccomend the DVD with it's deleted scenes and it's 30 minute "making of" documentary with interviews with the director and writer. A definite must-see!
;-D ;-D ;-D

Yeah I have it on DVD and agree. ;-D ;-D ;-D

If you have not seen the movie you must see it, if you have seen it you have to get the DVD and watch it again. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby The_Captain » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:49 pm

I watched over the weekend:

The Black Dahlia - Not a bad movie and relatively easy to follow. I like what they did with the ending since they really don't know who killed the Short girl. Hilary Swank and Scarlett Johannson were quite good and hot in this movie. - 7.5/10

Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest - about what I expected from this movie. Not as good as the first one but certainly left the door open for the third one. 7.5 / 10

Mission: Impossible III - much better than the second but not as good as the first. I thought the story line was about average, but loved Philip Seymour Thomas as the bad guy. He was the best part of this movie. And even though her roll was a short one, Keri Russell was quite the hottie. 7.5 / 10

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:11 pm

The_Captain wrote:I watched over the weekend:

The Black Dahlia - Not a bad movie and relatively easy to follow. I like what they did with the ending since they really don't know who killed the Short girl. Hilary Swank and Scarlett Johannson were quite good and hot in this movie. - 7.5/10

Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest - about what I expected from this movie. Not as good as the first one but certainly left the door open for the third one. 7.5 / 10

Mission: Impossible III - much better than the second but not as good as the first. I thought the story line was about average, but loved Philip Seymour Thomas as the bad guy. He was the best part of this movie. And even though her roll was a short one, Keri Russell was quite the hottie. 7.5 / 10

As a possible solution to the Black Dahlia, I reccomend the book "Black Dahlia Avenger" by Steve Hodel. He's a former L.A. homicide detective who after he retired became convinced his father was the killer after what he found in his father's possession's when he died and in his subsequent investigation. He makes a very compelling case - a great read!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby beanoX3 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:29 pm

The_Captain wrote:The Black Dahlia - Not a bad movie and relatively easy to follow. I like what they did with the ending since they really don't know who killed the Short girl. Hilary Swank and Scarlett Johannson were quite good and hot in this movie. - 7.5/10

I didn't like the movie that much. Started off good, but then meandered off into camp territory and seemed to take itself less seriously and was pretty ridiculous by the end, IMO. The whole Short murder wasn't even the focus of the story. Anyways, for a good 50's noir movie, LA Confidential was much better. I am curious about the book that the movie was based on though. Since most times, the movie never lives up to the book, I may read the book to clear my mind of the waste the movie was. I suppose I'll look into your book suggestion too, stomper.

And another couple movies for me to add:
Running Scared
Decent movie, considering Paul Walker was the star. Pretty intense at times and moves at an extremely quick pace. I looked up some reviews after watching this and was surprised that the director claimed the Grimm fairy tales as a bit of inspiration for the movie. Looking back, I can see what he may have meant considering all the crap the kid goes through. Warning though, this movie is definitely NOT for kids. Rated R and the actors drop almost 400 F-bombs throughout the movie, among other words not suitable for children. This movie was a bit different from the director's debut film, The Cooler, which I thought was great, but not as bad as I'd thought a Paul Walker movie was going to be, hehe.

Scoop
Another Scarlett Johansson movie for her fans to watch, lol. Oh, and it happens to be a Woody Allen movie. I've never really watched any of his previous movies except for this and Match Point. One guess why I watched these two, lol. Anyways, Scoop was an OK movie I suppose, but will probably appeal to Woody Allen fans since I've read that all he basically does is remake a few of his movies over and over. Found it odd that Scarlett seemed to be channeling Woody in her performance, until I read in a review that Woody told her to do that. So that kinda kills it since Woody is in the film too. Kind of annoying having to watch Woody being Woody and Scarlett being a female Woody. OK, now I'm confused, so I'll just stop.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:13 am

Since i'm on vacation this week, I took time from the bars and hanging out to watch a few movies these past two days. Since I've never seen them and it looked sorta interesting, I rented Underworld and Underworld: Evolution. Once you get the sort of confusing storyline down, these was actually very enjoyable movies. I thought the 2nd one was much better then the 1st. Much more action and entertaining storyline. Plus Kate is such a hottie! But you need to watch the 1st to fully understand everything. Overall, I'd give these two movies a rating of 7/10 combined ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk