What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:22 am

The Illusionist this was OK, it was an entertaining watch, but i was expecting more from it. Jessica Beil could have been hotter in it, and i really hate Paul Giamatti

7/10

Talledega Nights just wasnt that funny, i think my favorite part was watching the Walker and Texas Ranger out-takes. doesnt hold a candle to Anchor-man

5/10

Thank You For Smoking billed as a comedy starring Aaron Eckert as a tobacco lobbyist, pretty entertaining, especially if you like watching BS artists in action, even if they have all their lines written for them...it made me want a cigarette

7.5/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:59 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:The Illusionist this was OK, it was an entertaining watch, but i was expecting more from it. Jessica Beil could have been hotter in it, and i really hate Paul Giamatti

7/10

Talledega Nights just wasnt that funny, i think my favorite part was watching the Walker and Texas Ranger out-takes. doesnt hold a candle to Anchor-man

5/10

Thank You For Smoking billed as a comedy starring Aaron Eckert as a tobacco lobbyist, pretty entertaining, especially if you like watching BS artists in action, even if they have all their lines written for them...it made me want a cigarette

7.5/10

Pretty much agree with you especially on Talladega Nights. I loved Anchorman and Talladega nights just wasn't that funny.

The Illusionist would have been better if the "illusions" he was doing were even remotely possible. They don't have holograms like that with today's technology much less 100 years ago. Meh!
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cardiac cats » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:13 pm

got a couple in me...

Finally got around to seeing Beerfest- I give it 8/10. Completely over the top and funny stuff. Being a beer drinker myself probably helped me enjoy this flick more. More goodness from Broken Lizard.

also saw Smokin' Aces today at the theater. I give it a solid 8.5/10. Good cast and over-the-top characters. Funny, stylish, action packed- me likes ;-D ... also Jason Bateman's cameo was hilarious :-)
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:28 pm

Watched The Departed on the plane ride back from Paris. Definitely one of the best movies of the year. How they got that type of a cast is beyond me, but there is not a bad actor to be seen in that movie. Matt Damon is good although his accent was annoying at times, Leo DiCaprio is excellent, Mark Wahlberg was amazingly over the top, and Jack Nicholson seemed like he could be a real life mob boss. Hell, even "Arec Baldwin" did a great job. :-b The producers did a great job of taking a very simple plot line and making it into a phenomenal movie. ;-D

9.5 out of 10
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby PACKman1144 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:32 pm

I saw The Departed today too. I thought it was really good. Pretty interesting plot and phenominal acting.

I'll give it an 8.5/10 ;-D
PACKman1144
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby skibrett15 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:38 pm

I really like Talladega Nights. All the deleted scenes with the commercials and PSAs are great

"remember, packs of stray dogs that control most of North America's major cities are not your friends..... or they could be"
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The_Captain » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:13 am

Watched a timeless classic last night - Trading Places

Man-O-man does Jamie Lee Curtis have a nice set.....

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:38 am

PACKman1144 wrote:I saw The Departed today too. I thought it was really good. Pretty interesting plot and phenominal acting.

I'll give it an 8.5/10 ;-D

I was interested in seeing this because of the big named cast, but I kinda wanted to see the Hong Kong version first, "Infernal Affairs." I want to know if the Hollywood version lived up to the original or if they botched it up by making it American.

One of my gripes about Hollywood is when they take a foreign movie that is successful because of how it fits within that culture and remakes a Hollywood version that eliminates all that. The biggest culprits are Hollywood remakes of Asian films. A lot the quirks of Asian culture have no real counterpart in the West, so a remake loses a lot of it's appeal to me. There's also the trend of bad remakes in general though, lol.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:27 am

the departed

WOW what a great flick. although dicaprio looked liked he was gonna cry through out. marky mark was excellent as was matt damon. nicholson was amazing the whole story was great. awesomeness from begining to end.

I also rented some cuba gooding movie end game. I thought it was a good movie well worth the dollar rental from red box ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:42 am

Pan's Labryinth i was expecting it to be more fantasyish, but this was really really good. really kept me captivated and i'm sure some film nerds can break down all kinds of hidden meanings and metaphors...also has some nice violence.

also, unlike regular old Labyrinth, it does not contain David Bowie in a spandex jumpsuit...no Jennifer Connely either though

9/10

A Scanner Darkly

A Phillip K Dick story filmed with Rotoscoping technology, stars Keanu Reeves who amazingly does not say "whoa" (maybe he did and i'm so used to it) as an undercover cop hooked on "Substance D" Robert Downey Jr is really good in it, and it has Winona Ryder's cartoon boobs...and a pretty good ending. i was expecting more though

7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk