What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby SniperShot » Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:52 am

Saw two movies for the first time last weekend.

Tron from 1982 this has realllllly cheesy special effects but considering what they did in the time it was rather cool.

When you get over the crappy special effects and some corny sound effects it's overall a good premise for a movie and I'm rather surprised nobody has done a remake yet. Overall if you can watch a movie for a movies sake and get over the special effects there is a decent plot here and an interesting story.

8/10.

The Matrix I remember when this came out I was like 10 years old and really wanted to see it. (Of course parents said no.) Finally I rented it the other day and it was pretty sweet. I'll check out the sequels soon but I won't hold my breath, from what I hear they are not nearly as good. But for this movie alone, I give it a 9/10.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:12 pm

SniperShot wrote:Saw two movies for the first time last weekend.

Tron from 1982 this has realllllly cheesy special effects but considering what they did in the time it was rather cool.

When you get over the crappy special effects and some corny sound effects it's overall a good premise for a movie and I'm rather surprised nobody has done a remake yet. Overall if you can watch a movie for a movies sake and get over the special effects there is a decent plot here and an interesting story.

8/10.

The Matrix I remember when this came out I was like 10 years old and really wanted to see it. (Of course parents said no.) Finally I rented it the other day and it was pretty sweet. I'll check out the sequels soon but I won't hold my breath, from what I hear they are not nearly as good. But for this movie alone, I give it a 9/10.

i think the 2nd matrix is best of all 3,, the car chase alone makes that movie.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:24 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
SniperShot wrote:Saw two movies for the first time last weekend.

8/10.

i think the 2nd matrix is best of all 3,, the car chase alone makes that movie.

I liked the 2nd one a lot too. Not as good as the first but almost. What was so cool was that the 2nd one really opened up a lot of plot paths. Unfortunately, all the cool possibilities presented in the 2nd story never came to fruition in the third movie. :-t

The third movie was still worth seeing though.
Last edited by josebach on Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:27 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Pan's Labryinth i was expecting it to be more fantasyish, but this was really really good. really kept me captivated and i'm sure some film nerds can break down all kinds of hidden meanings and metaphors...also has some nice violence.

also, unlike regular old Labyrinth, it does not contain David Bowie in a spandex jumpsuit...no Jennifer Connely either though

9/10

I also saw Pan's Labryinth this weekend. Only around a third of the movie or so was really centered around the Labyrinth. The rest of it was centered around the remnants of the Spanish Civil War. The actor playing the bad guy in the movie did a great job.

Be warned that it is a very depressing and sad movie.
8.5/10
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:28 pm

The Matrix trilogy had so much potential, it crushed me when I saw the third movie. Left such a bitter taste in my mouth, I couldn't rewatch them for a whole year. I still bought the DVD set though.

Now, I'll watch the first one in its entirety, the second I'll skip through to the action scenes, and the third... well I haven't watched the third more than twice.

If you liked the Matrix ideas though, watch the Animatrix. Lots of cool ideas fleshed out there, along with some backstory on how the Matrix came to be and extra info about a few characters. The "Flight of the Osiris" was probably the best part and an important lead-in to the video game "Enter the Matrix." Both parts help explain stuff that happens in Matrix Reloaded, if you're interested.

I've got Pan's Labyrinth now, so I'll probably watch it sometime this week. ;-D
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby footballchick23 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:35 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
PACKman1144 wrote:I saw The Departed today too. I thought it was really good. Pretty interesting plot and phenominal acting.

I'll give it an 8.5/10 ;-D

I was interested in seeing this because of the big named cast, but I kinda wanted to see the Hong Kong version first, "Infernal Affairs." I want to know if the Hollywood version lived up to the original or if they botched it up by making it American.

One of my gripes about Hollywood is when they take a foreign movie that is successful because of how it fits within that culture and remakes a Hollywood version that eliminates all that. The biggest culprits are Hollywood remakes of Asian films. A lot the quirks of Asian culture have no real counterpart in the West, so a remake loses a lot of it's appeal to me. There's also the trend of bad remakes in general though, lol.

If you guys like The Departed, you might want to check out this book...I just got my BF (who loved the movie) the book titled "Black Mass". It's supposedly who Jack Nicholson's character is based on.

The last 10 minues of the movie were insane!
Doesn't it suck to get beat at Fantasy Football...by a girl?
footballchick23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:39 pm

I finally saw saw III, the first 15 minutes are about as gruesome as any I've seen in a while the rest ehhh not so much, it was to dragging on the slow scenes were slow lots of walking around.
still the brutal scenes were brutal slow scenes were slow, interesting twist at the end. 5/10 worth the $1 red box rental that I've now had for 5 days. 8-o

next up jackass 2 ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:42 pm

Redskins Win wrote:I finally saw saw III, the first 15 minutes are about as gruesome as any I've seen in a while the rest ehhh not so much, it was to dragging on the slow scenes were slow lots of walking around.
still the brutal scenes were brutal slow scenes were slow, interesting twist at the end. 5/10 worth the $1 red box rental that I've now had for 5 days. 8-o

next up jackass 2 ;-D

hilarious! ;-D

Yeah I didnt care for Saw III either although the pig grinder scene was pretty wicked. :-P
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:06 pm

Saw about the first 30 minutes of the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Honestly, that was enough for me. :-P
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Metroid » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:10 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Saw about the first 30 minutes of the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Honestly, that was enough for me. :-P

Really? I really liked it. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk