What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Sandrock » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:30 am

Ghost Rider

So being the huge nerd that I am, I went to the opening of Ghost Rider. The story is jumbled, boring and a bit confusing. Even with Eva on the screen I drifted into la la land a few times.

The CG is of course decent and Nicholas Cage is ripped. I had no idea. It wasn't as bad as King Kong (the only movie I've ever walked out on) but it was close. I don't plan on ever watching Ghost Rider again.

My Final Grade: C-
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:06 pm

Just took the wife to see Music and Lyrics By. If you're in the mood to see a romantic comedy, this is a pretty strong bet. Pretty much anything with Hugh Grant in it is a winner and Drew Barrymore is always pleasant. Grant plays a washed up 80's pop star who's been asked to write a hit song for a Britney Spears type pop diva who's a big fan of Grant's past work. Grant, who's not much of a songwriter, gets a boost from Barrymore, who seems to have a knack for songwriting, even though she's never written before.

That's the basic premise, but the films highlights are when Grant's character has to perform at 80's pop reunions and small-time gigs at places like Knotts Berry Farm, just to gain exposure. The opening credits even feature a complete mock-up of an 80's videos, complete with Hugh Grant sporting 80's high fashion and a mullet. Absolutely priceless, especially since the video is very convincingly realistic to how mid-80's MTV vids looked. It's a cross between Wham! and Duran Duran. Coming from an 80's fan like myself, the video was hilariously funny.

All in all the two have a really quirky, but believable, chemistry that helps the film flow nicely. Everybody Loves Raymond's Brad Garrett chimes in as Grant's manager and 3rd Rock From The Sun's Kristen Johnson is entertaining as Barrymore's sister who has a crush on the former 80's idol. It's no 4 Weddings and a Funeral, but it's a solid Grant/Barrymore vehicle. I'd see it again and I'm not fond of the genre.

GRADE B+
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:37 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Just took the wife to see Music and Lyrics By. If you're in the mood to see a romantic comedy, this is a pretty strong bet. Pretty much anything with Hugh Grant in it is a winner and Drew Barrymore is always pleasant. Grant plays a washed up 80's pop star who's been asked to write a hit song for a Britney Spears type pop diva who's a big fan of Grant's past work. Grant, who's not much of a songwriter, gets a boost from Barrymore, who seems to have a knack for songwriting, even though she's never written before.

That's the basic premise, but the films highlights are when Grant's character has to perform at 80's pop reunions and small-time gigs at places like Knotts Berry Farm, just to gain exposure. The opening credits even feature a complete mock-up of an 80's videos, complete with Hugh Grant sporting 80's high fashion and a mullet. Absolutely priceless, especially since the video is very convincingly realistic to how mid-80's MTV vids looked. It's a cross between Wham! and Duran Duran. Coming from an 80's fan like myself, the video was hilariously funny.

All in all the two have a really quirky, but believable, chemistry that helps the film flow nicely. Everybody Loves Raymond's Brad Garrett chimes in as Grant's manager and 3rd Rock From The Sun's Kristen Johnson is entertaining as Barrymore's sister who has a crush on the former 80's idol. It's no 4 Weddings and a Funeral, but it's a solid Grant/Barrymore vehicle. I'd see it again and I'm not fond of the genre.

GRADE B+

Just got back from watching the same movie. Good assessment, although I would have given in a B and not a B+. Definitely a great date movie! ;-D
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:20 pm

I saw Ghost Rider on friday night when i came out.

The graphics and special effects were awesome. Having read Ghost Rider growing up i was able to fill in gaps of storylines or what was going on sometimes. Nicolas Cage was the wrong actor to play GR IMO. Even my wife had a hard time imagining this guy was GR. I think they should have used someone like Mike Metzger (the dirtbike rider) to play the role. Eva did make the movie better. Nic Cage was believeable as the nice guy in love with Eva, but not as GR.

I would give it a B
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:03 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:I saw Ghost Rider on friday night when i came out.

The graphics and special effects were awesome. Having read Ghost Rider growing up i was able to fill in gaps of storylines or what was going on sometimes. Nicolas Cage was the wrong actor to play GR IMO. Even my wife had a hard time imagining this guy was GR. I think they should have used someone like Mike Metzger (the dirtbike rider) to play the role. Eva did make the movie better. Nic Cage was believeable as the nice guy in love with Eva, but not as GR.

I thought GR was a CGI flaming skeleton? Are you saying his GR voice wasn't good or something?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:07 pm

Just got done watching Running With Scissors....wow very strange. I enjoyed it mostly I think. I may need to take some time for it to sink in. I felt myself feeling a bit off watching it, I guess I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was pretty depressing and mildly humorous. There was not one character in the film that was not whacked out. I thought all the actors did a really good job and there lack of sanity was very believable. I was expecting something more like Royal Tenenbaums or Igby Goes Down and I suppose there were parts that resembled those films, mostly the dark humor, but it was really its own animal. If your looking for a feel good movie this ain't for you. Its one of those films that I'm glad I watched but won't be watching it again. Over all very good film but I honestly don't think I can grade it.

I feel like I need a hug.

EDIT: Anybody else see it? :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:42 pm

josebach wrote:

I thought GR was a CGI flaming skeleton? Are you saying his GR voice wasn't good or something?

No, the thought that it was Nic Cage behind the flame just didn't do it
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:03 am

Metroid wrote:Just got done watching Running With Scissors....wow very strange. I enjoyed it mostly I think. I may need to take some time for it to sink in. I felt myself feeling a bit off watching it, I guess I'm not sure how I feel about it. It was pretty depressing and mildly humorous. There was not one character in the film that was not whacked out. I thought all the actors did a really good job and there lack of sanity was very believable. I was expecting something more like Royal Tenenbaums or Igby Goes Down and I suppose there were parts that resembled those films, mostly the dark humor, but it was really its own animal. If your looking for a feel good movie this ain't for you. Its one of those films that I'm glad I watched but won't be watching it again. Over all very good film but I honestly don't think I can grade it.

I feel like I need a hug.

EDIT: Anybody else see it? :-?

yeah...i thought it sucked, but i read the book and compared to the book it was a huge letdown...it just didnt have the same feel the book had and i think once i realized that i didnt give it a chance. they had to cut or change alot of scenes too

Igby Goes Down ;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sandrock » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:52 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
josebach wrote:

They should have gotten a completely different actor to play ghost rider. You liked it a lot more than I did. I feel asleep for a few minutes near the beginning of the movie. Honestly, I thought the trailer for 300 was the best part of the movie.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:07 am

Sandrock wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
josebach wrote:

They should have gotten a completely different actor to play ghost rider. You liked it a lot more than I did. I feel asleep for a few minutes near the beginning of the movie. Honestly, I thought the trailer for 300 was the best part of the movie.

They didn't play that trailer in my movie
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk