What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:27 am

First up this week was Pan's Labrynth, which I'm going to go ahead and give a solid 8/10. Kind of tough to see who they're marketing this for as the trailers and the actual movie are quite different. Having not been all that interested by the previews I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit, but I could see people who were interested in the previews being disappointed by the fairly different movie.

Next up was Children of Men in HD, which I'll also give a solid score at 8.5/10. It dragged a bit in the middle and it seemed to end kind of abruptly but I really liked the way they set up the environment and the scene towards the end where he's walking through the battle was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

That means the last three movies I've seen were The Fountain, Pan's Labrynth, and Children of Men. Talk about a trio of powerful, emotional, and sad (as well as quite out of the ordinary) movies there. While I loved all 3, I think I'll need to go with a nice comedy or action flick (maybe transformers) next so I don't feel like jumping off a bridge, heh.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:30 am

I saw Transformers and Live Free or Die Hard this week...

I would definitely see both in the theater. Die Hard is probably on par with the other Die Hards, maybe a little below but still pretty darn good. Transformers as Boozie said is just plain awesome. There are quite a bit of cheezy moments. Some times where they definitely kid it up. They do that fast moving camera shaky motion so they can hide the special effects thing A LOT. It's pretty long too. With all that, it is still awesome somehow... funny, great action, decent effects, good plot, follows the original storyline, leaves it open to continue which i'm sure they will bring a sequel... yeah... very good time.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby sportsaddict » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:39 pm

treat24 wrote:I saw Transformers and Live Free or Die Hard this week...

I would definitely see both in the theater. Die Hard is probably on par with the other Die Hards, maybe a little below but still pretty darn good. Transformers as Boozie said is just plain awesome. There are quite a bit of cheezy moments. Some times where they definitely kid it up. They do that fast moving camera shaky motion so they can hide the special effects thing A LOT. It's pretty long too. With all that, it is still awesome somehow... funny, great action, decent effects, good plot, follows the original storyline, leaves it open to continue which i'm sure they will bring a sequel... yeah... very good time.

I just saw Transformers today and I completely agree. It was a sweet movie, lots of action, good effects, and there was witty writing too. I actually thought Shia LaBouef (spelling?) put on a good performance. But, as you guys have said, there were a few cheesy lines that seemed out of place. I was thoroughly entertained though and that's all you can ask from a movie like that.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby maddog60 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:51 pm

sportsaddict wrote:

I just saw Transformers today and I completely agree. It was a sweet movie, lots of action, good effects, and there was witty writing too. I actually thought Shia LaBouef (spelling?) put on a good performance. But, as you guys have said, there were a few cheesy lines that seemed out of place. I was thoroughly entertained though and that's all you can ask from a movie like that.

I saw this Tuesday night, and wow. Apparently I was the only one of my friends that was impressed with the movie, but I thought they did a great job. While there were some cheapening imperfections (I really despised the point in the movie where it went from morning to night almost instantly during a scene), there were several cliches they could've easily fallen into that the film avoided.

Great special effects, cool action sequences, and I agree the lead actor did a great job. Unlike others, I think some of the plot twists don't easily leave this movie open to a sequel. There will undoubtedly be one, but I enjoyed that this movie was stand alone, and not left on an obvious "to be continued..."

8/10
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:58 pm

Saw Transformers today as well and I thought it was awesome. It was a long one, but at no point did I get bored or annoyed about it dragging it on.....

8/10

C-H-A-M-P-I-O-N-S-H-I-P
TN_Titans_05
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:20 pm

maddog60 wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:

I saw this Tuesday night, and wow. Apparently I was the only one of my friends that was impressed with the movie, but I thought they did a great job. While there were some cheapening imperfections (I really despised the point in the movie where it went from morning to night almost instantly during a scene), there were several cliches they could've easily fallen into that the film avoided.

Great special effects, cool action sequences, and I agree the lead actor did a great job. Unlike others, I think some of the plot twists don't easily leave this movie open to a sequel. There will undoubtedly be one, but I enjoyed that this movie was stand alone, and not left on an obvious "to be continued..."

8/10

actually the end of the movie was in the original storyline of the comics ;-D the comics kept going. I don;t recall if the first few tv cartoons started the same way though i would imagine... but just letting you know... ;-D and with the money this thing brought in... i hope they keep going, cuz this movie was awesome :-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby cardiac cats » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:26 pm

I'm back after like a 2 week hiatus because our family moved and we didn't have the Net until just now... and like you free bagel I've got quite a trio of reviews as well.

Transformers-10/10 Wow, freaking amazing. I loved this movie and I've already seen it twice(prolly goin to see it a 3rd time too). Awesome action scenes, the sweetest special effects I've ever seen, Bad ass cars and robots, explosions everywhere: what's not to like? Shia LeBouff is great, Megan Fox is just that- a FOX, lots of funny lines and moments sprinkled throughout to please the viewers, and an epic showdown to cap the film. I loved how the packed crowd reacted to the all new camaro transformation and also gave an ovation once the film ended(at both showings) because this film truly deserves the praise. A little hint, stay thru most of the credits and you'll see a sign that a sequel is very, very probable :-)

Pan's Labryinth-9/10 impressive. A dark, twisted fairy tale with great special effects, unique storytelling, and some truly shocking scenes. I love the correlation between the real world happenings and Ofelia's fantasy world and the fact that both become more intense and darker as the film winds to it's thrilling conclusion. Also of note, I'm reviewing the 2 disc special edition DVD and I must say it's well worth the money. It's got literally hours of extra footage all about the film with all kinds of commentaries, interviews, and segments about the film. GOOD stuff ;-D

Pulp Fiction-9/10 I can see why it's a cult classic. I bought the collector's edition, which like pan's labryinth, is chock full of extras(TONS) and would be a great addition to any dvd collection. To the film itself, it's more or less 3 stories loosely tied together through one central theme- don't ask me what it is exactly but I've heard redemption thrown around by some people. Great acting from Travolta, Eric Stoltz, Willis,Thurman, Keitel, and especially Samuel L. Jackson- who's the epitome of bad ass, enough said. The dialogue is classic tarantino and there are numerous scenes that just exude his iconic style and originality. What else to say, I can't wait to see this again.
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:59 am

Saw Harry Potter: OOTP last night. It's a lot like the 4th one in that it's pretty slow throughout, but the last 20 minutes or so are crazy, though this is more a product of the book. 7.75/10 (couldn't decide between 7.5 and 8..)
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Plindsey88 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:11 am

Free Bagel wrote:Saw Harry Potter: OOTF last night. It's a lot like the 4th one in that it's pretty slow throughout, but the last 20 minutes or so are crazy, though this is more a product of the book. 7.75/10 (couldn't decide between 7.5 and 8..)

I saw it on Wednesday... I actually thought it was the best of the movies so far... Definitely the darkest of the movies so far... Which makes sense because that book is the darkest book in a lot of ways...

As usual, the movie is a pretty close approximation of the book, and I will likely see it again before it leaves the theaters...

I give it a 9.0 for fans of the series and as a good representation of the book, but as a stand-alone movie it wouldn't be much better than a 7.5...

Signature courtesy of: madaslives911
Plindsey88
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:03 am

I am so slow with seeing movies that I actually just saw blade for the first time the other day. Yeah sad. But I like it a lot. Especially when the guy steals blades sword and he gets his hand skewered.

My opinion, 10/10

Please don't bust my behind for just seeing this. I am slow with the movies :-b
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk