What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby SniperShot » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:36 pm

Yeah I think they intentionally really watered down the movie. I read the books a few years ago and I remember being a little freaked out at some stuff. Angels are evil people hunting children, God is some evil being out to ruin everyones lives, anything related to religion or church is made out to be a really bad thing and are the enemy in the books. The author, Philip Pullman has said he is trying to be the anti C.S Lewis, he absolutely hates C.S Lewis and is a very outspoken atheist pushing his narrow minded viewpoints though his writing.

The problem really lies in people going and buying the books after seeing the movie. The books are horrible atheist agenda crap.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:16 pm

Jimboozie wrote:Last week, I watched a bunch of movies.

Transformers ;-D B-)

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (original) ;-D :-)

My Super Ex-Girlfriend :-? :-B

Inside Man ;-D ;-D

Chinatown ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

hell yeah, Chinatown ;-D

BlueBandit24 wrote:
josebach wrote:Oh, and I don't know how this movie is any more anti-Christian than any other movie. I heard the Christian groups proclaim it was endorsing atheism, but considering the main concept of the movie was that the humans in this parallel universe had souls that take the form of animals, I don't know how they came to that conclusion. Not sure how many atheists you know that believe in a "soul", but I don't know of any. It just doesn't seem right that these people are using their power and influence to purposely try to hurt the movie (and the makers of it) instead of letting it stand on it's own merit. It's like they're manufacturing out of thin air a "noble cause" to fight against just so they can improve their camaraderie and solidarity. Whatever.

I think the fuss is that in the books, a boy and a girl end up killing God. The Christian groups didn't want kids to see the movie and then rush out and get the books.

yeah, i think the books/film promotes "thinking for yourself" which i'm sure scares the hell out of a lot of Christian groups...not trying to start an anti-religion thread here (although i know i kind of just did :-B )
what i'm trying to say is, it might cause kids to sit down and question their faith...god forbid they ever do that and not just blindly follow a religion they were raised on....but hey, if their faith is strong then what do these parents need to worry about...just my 2 cents, maybe stated a little bluntly
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SniperShot » Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:24 pm

Hmm my previous post (especially the last line) seems a bit harsher than I originally intended. Didn't mean to offend any fellow members who are atheist but I just feel that portraying these viewpoints in media aimed at preteens-teens is not the way to go and I feel strongly about that.

Cheers.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby m16a » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:14 pm

"Remember, remember, the 5th of November." Just about anyone who knows movies should be able to tell that today I saw V for Vendetta from that quote. Heck of a movie IMO. Good story, great fight scenes.
9/10 for sure ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby josebach » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:43 pm

I've done a little reading on The Golden Compass and found that the anti-religious (anti-Catholic to be specific) elements have all but been removed from the movie, which is why I didn't pick up on anything. Still, is that the message to send to the world? This person's opinions differ from the church's, so boycott it? It just seems wrong to me. :-/
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Tiki » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:19 pm

josebach wrote:I've done a little reading on The Golden Compass and found that the anti-religious (anti-Catholic to be specific) elements have all but been removed from the movie, which is why I didn't pick up on anything. Still, is that the message to send to the world? This person's opinions differ from the church's, so boycott it? It just seems wrong to me. :-/

Welcome to the Catholic Church. ;-D
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:53 pm

30 Days of Night ;-D

I watched this movie with no expectations and found that I liked it. I knew that it was a vampire movie based off some graphic novel, but other than that, I knew nothing else. Movie was appropriately gory and the depiction of vampires was different enough from recent movies that I liked it. Only thing about the vampires that got annoying was their Jurrasic Park velociraptor imitation. Their screeching grates on the ears by the end. I should mention that although the movie takes place up in Barrow, Alaska (northernmost US town) and the characters in the movie are wearing full snow gear (except for the vampires), Melissa George looked damn hot.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cardiac cats » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:34 pm

Art School Confidential 8/10

-indie dark comedy about a freshman at a prestigious art school who's trying to "figure himself out" and become a great artist in the process. There are a few plots twists here and there that could be deemed crazy, but all in all it's good stuff...I was pleasantly surprised at how funny it was.

American Gun 7.5/10

-many different lives are affected in a small oregon town by a school shooting. Think "Crash" but dealing with firearms instead. Solid cast too with good performances: Marcia Gay Harden, Forest Whitaker, Donald Sutherland...

Wolf Creek 2.5/10

-terrible... funny thing is, the 1st half of the movie was actually quite bearable. But when it switched to the "torture innocent victims routine" it lost any and all credibility to me(even for a movie)... these victims made some of the most boneheaded decisions I've ever seen and you almost have to question their desire to live. I don't know it just pissed me off. God what a terrible movie :-t
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby treat24 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:54 am

Just watched Hot Rod yesterday. My friends told me not to waste my time. I wish I would have listened.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby moonhead » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:59 am

treat24 wrote:Just watched Hot Rod yesterday. My friends told me not to waste my time. I wish I would have listened.

i told you that months ago. you got what you deserved. B-)
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk