What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby RiffRaff » Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:33 pm

treat24 wrote:"The Invasion" with Nicole Kidman... I actually think the writer's went on strike a year or 2 ago based on the movies I've seen lately... :-°

Come on Treat, it was very plausible. I wish we could get this virus and stop all the fighting, oh wait, I like the fighting. ;-D Craptastic Movie it was. :-t

I wish I could get the virus so I can forget the 111 minutes. :-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby moonhead » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:44 pm

i watched i am legend again. it was better the first time. i think i rated it a high 7 after the first viewing. this time i'll go closer to a flat 7.

after that i watched 3:10 to yuma. good western. i think that the proposition is better as far as new westerns go, plus it is just grittier. it really immerses you in the whole frontier type setting. and i think unforgiven is a bit overrated. but that's just me. i didn't really buy the whole dynamic between crowe and bale. i thought that part of the ending was less than believable. but right after that when he whistles brought it back. i'd give yuma a solid 8-8.5.

then i watched we own the night. i fell asleep twice. it was ok. boring. the story line does not become compelling until the movie is over 2/3 finished. i wouldn't recommend it unless you're looking to kill about 2 hours. eva mendes is pretty hot in it. so that kept it from being total garbage. 6/10
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:18 pm

Close Encounters of the Third Kind... I liked it as a kid, don't care for it now. Don't know how it got four stars, except for maybe the Spielberg/John Williams effect. Oh well.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:14 pm

I saw There will be Blood Tonight. What the hell?

I'm not one that hates movies that aren't straight-forward (The Fountain is one of my favorite flicks), but I still am not quite sure what the point in this movie was. There was no lesson, no story, and no resolution (although I suppose that would require something to be resolved in the first place) which is fine for a cliche'd action flick every once in a while, but this was far from an action movie.

I dunno, maybe I just didn't "get it", but it was just weird....and pointless. Oh yeah, and about two hours too long. And boring. And the music was just freaking weird and out of place. It kept playing this horror, suspenseful music out in the middle of a bright sunny day where nothing bad was happening. If anyone has played Bioshock, imagine the music from that with the video being two people happily having a picnic at noon in the middle of a lush green field.

2/10
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moonhead » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:31 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I saw There will be Blood Tonight. What the hell?

I'm not one that hates movies that aren't straight-forward (The Fountain is one of my favorite flicks), but I still am not quite sure what the point in this movie was. There was no lesson, no story, and no resolution (although I suppose that would require something to be resolved in the first place) which is fine for a cliche'd action flick every once in a while, but this was far from an action movie.

I dunno, maybe I just didn't "get it", but it was just weird....and pointless. Oh yeah, and about two hours too long. And boring. And the music was just freaking weird and out of place. It kept playing this horror, suspenseful music out in the middle of a bright sunny day where nothing bad was happening. If anyone has played Bioshock, imagine the music from that with the video being two people happily having a picnic at noon in the middle of a lush green field.

2/10

i give your review a 1/10. :^

i agree that there isn't much point to the film. but it is beautifully shot and acted. i thought the music was phenomenal. johnny greenwood of radiohead does the score completely digitally/electronically. which is mind blowing if you hear the soundtrack. it sounds completely symphonic. i know it was long, but it kept me entertained throughout. i was pleased with the film. p.t. anderson at his best. i saw it at the alamo draft house in austin, texas. if you know anything about this place, it is an incredible experience to see a film. they serve you beers and food during the movie. so i got to suck on a bucket o'beers throughout the film. which was awesome.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:17 am

moonhead wrote:i agree that there isn't much point to the film. but it is beautifully shot and acted.

I will agree on the acting. I thought that both Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano did a phenomenal job with their characters, but that still doesn't help all that much when they're given a boring, pointless story and inconsistent characters to work with (imo). There were just so many pointless scenes that gave us no character development and no movement of what little plot there was.

moonhead wrote:i thought the music was phenomenal. johnny greenwood of radiohead does the score completely digitally/electronically. which is mind blowing if you hear the soundtrack. it sounds completely symphonic.

Not to sound like a jerk, but this gets one of those big "who cares?" from me. They could make music out of spoons, whistles, and farts that sounds like a full-blown symphonic orchestra but if it's a poor fit and bad music then it's still a poor fit and bad music.

It really doesn't matter to me whether it was done digitally or with actual instruments, because either way it was still the most out of place music I have heard in any form of entertainment in my entire life. They could play clown music during Schindler's List and it would make almost as much sense as the music in this movie did.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moonhead » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:40 am

Free Bagel wrote:
moonhead wrote:i agree that there isn't much point to the film. but it is beautifully shot and acted.

I will agree on the acting. I thought that both Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Dano did a phenomenal job with their characters, but that still doesn't help all that much when they're given a boring, pointless story and inconsistent characters to work with (imo). There were just so many pointless scenes that gave us no character development and no movement of what little plot there was.

moonhead wrote:i thought the music was phenomenal. johnny greenwood of radiohead does the score completely digitally/electronically. which is mind blowing if you hear the soundtrack. it sounds completely symphonic.

Not to sound like a jerk, but this gets one of those big "who cares?" from me. They could make music out of spoons, whistles, and farts that sounds like a full-blown symphonic orchestra but if it's a poor fit and bad music then it's still a poor fit and bad music.

It really doesn't matter to me whether it was done digitally or with actual instruments, because either way it was still the most out of place music I have heard in any form of entertainment in my entire life. They could play clown music during Schindler's List and it would make almost as much sense as the music in this movie did.

i'm going to be as vague as possible here as to not put out any spoilers, but, it's difficult to do. so don't read the rest of this if you care.

i'll give you that the characters are a bit inconsistent. ddl's mainly regarding his son. i thought it was strange the way that he reacts immediately after the incident with his son, and then the way he treats him a little bit later and at the end of the film.
i did like the way that they let you think the preacher had a bit of multiple personality disorder or something until the final scene.
the movie was based off a book, and knowing the author of the book, i'm sure it was just a scathing tale of the industry as a whole. it doesn't really translate in this day and age, being that it took place about 100 years ago, but who is to say that the oil "tycoons" of today are any less of pieces of garbage than ddl's character.
i just thought the music was fantastic. and the way it was made was a point of interest.

overall i think you have to look at p.t. anderson and know that the movie is going to be bizarre and may not answer any questions that it raises (read: magnolia). anyway, ddl wins best actor this year. but the best film of the year is no country for old men.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby cardiac cats » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:21 pm

Strange Wilderness 7/10

- another entry from the happy madison crew. Not quite as inspired or funny as some other similar titles(superbad, grandma's boy) but still entertaining nonetheless. Plenty of crazy situations and good moments so most of you would know what to expect...
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby treat24 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:52 pm

king of kong, fistfull of quarters... very very good... finally a good one in the bunch ;-D

spoiler, gonna make it tiny:

Even though at the end of the film we find steve wiebe eventually got the record, if you go online and billy mitchell has just barely topped him once again. sad... i was rooting for steve a lot. billy is just arrogant and weird. i hope steve takes the record back.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby moonhead » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:07 pm

treat24 wrote:king of kong, fistfull of quarters... very very good... finally a good one in the bunch ;-D

spoiler, gonna make it tiny:

Even though at the end of the film we find steve wiebe eventually got the record, if you go online and billy mitchell has just barely topped him once again. sad... i was rooting for steve a lot. billy is just arrogant and weird. i hope steve takes the record back.

the film is not accurate in that respect, from what i have read, about billy mitchell. the documentary manipulated a few facts and omitted certain things to make it more entertaining. good film, but take it for what it is. a film.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk