What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:16 am

cardiac cats wrote:Southland Tales 8/10 (first viewing)

One of the craziest movies I've ever seen and truly a vision from Richard Kelly. I will add that I might be a bit biased towards Mr. Kelly because he also directed Donnie Darko(one of my all time fav. movies)... still though, I found the film to be completely engrossing and fascinating... and utterly confusing :-? Might I add the soundtrack throughout the movie is awesome, including a few musical "performances"(if you will) that are as entrancing as they are mystifying.

Man what a trippy movie, I can't wait to see it again.

i just saw this, although i fell asleep towards the end so i will probably rewatch the last 30 minutes or so. definately something i need to see again someday, Kelly did a great job of satireizing (i think that's a word :-B ) America. it's kinda long and kind of hard to follow though, like i said, something that needs a repeat viewing
7/10

also saw The Fountain recently...i really liked that one, although it was kind of hard to follow as well but i think i was able to make some sense out of that one...i think the moral of that story is Never Trust a Tree ;-7

8/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sixxgunn » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm

I Am Legend and The Mist. Wow. I never thought I would be setting myself up for depression like that all in one night. Especially The Mist. I was watching it with the lady friend, and said just near the end, "You know, the only thing that could make this worse is if the Mist actually lifted". Bam. My jaw dropped. Both were great movies, but man, seriously, you better be in a good frame of mind before watching these two back-to-back!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:32 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:The Mist. .... Both were great movies

who were you in the movie? or did you work behind the scenes? or are they just paying you to advertise? :-b :-b That movie could been made with me and friends, a camcorder, and a couple of the cafe's graphics guys. I think it was meant to be a made for TV sci fi channel movie as the quality was horrible and the CGI was worse... The acting was not horrid, and the story was ok. I had read it years ago. There was even those screen fade to black parts every so often like when you watch a TV movie on DVD... At least I was slightly entertained throughout though... I'm being nice to the film I guess...

nice spoiler in your post too...

I saw Resurrecting the Champ, P2, Bee Movie, and There Will Be Blood today...

P2 is only worth Rachel Nichols' cleavage shots and for the fans like me who can find even the cheesiest horrors entertaining. This wasn't cheesy, but it wasn't good either... Imagine the end of Scream where Neve Campbell runs around her house avoiding the killers... only imagine it for an hour and a half. This is the entire plot of P2 pretty much.

Bee Movie - meh, it's a kids movie. It's in the middle of the pack at that. Just ok, but an alright watch if you like'em. Many better, many worse...

Resurrecting the Champ - I had really wanted to see this when it was in theaters, and Hartnett is my boy. After that horrid crapfest 30 days of Night, my hopes had dropped. It was alright. I enjoyed it. Nothing wowed me in it, but those who know me well know that i LOVE boxing... so that backdrop may have made it better for me. Take away the Hartnett and Boxing bias... and I'm not sure what to say. Decent, not great... but enjoyable for me.

There Will Be Blood - Yep, I agree Raff, it's one of the better ones I've seen this year. Many have given their peice, I'll stop here...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby RiffRaff » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:51 pm

treat24 wrote:
There Will Be Blood - Yep, I agree Raff, it's one of the better ones I've seen this year. Many have given their peice, I'll stop here...

Treat is a "False Prophet". Do not listen to him. :-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby RiffRaff » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:52 pm

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Crap, but at least there is tons of nice nudity of a 44 year old actress. ;-D ;-D ;-D
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:53 pm

I saw Beer League today.

It was funny at times, but really crude. Artie Lange starred so...yeah...
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby RiffRaff » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:54 pm

RiffRaff wrote:Before the Devil Knows You're Dead.

Crap, but at least there is tons of nice nudity of a 44 year old actress. ;-D ;-D ;-D

I take it all back, it was a pretty good movie. Worthy of a try by Treat. ;-D ;-D ;-D
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kyguy78 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:33 pm

In the last few days I've watched Dewey Cox, There Will Be Blood, and Lions for Lambs

Dewey Cox - was ten times funnier than I thought it would be. It's that stupid kind of humor you expect from the Apatow gang. And remember, there's nothing wrong with a little machete fighting!

Lions for Lambs - Had totally forgotten about this one, but I thought it was interesting. Had a nice concept with people discussing the war on terror from both a conservative and a liberal point of view and then you get to see the "actual" war playout all in the span of an hour and a half

There Will Be Blood - First off, Daniel Day-Lewis deserves every award he recieved this year; probably one of the best acting performances in years. That being said, as a movie, There Will Be Blood is extremely overrated. I thought the script was a mess and it was excruciatingly slow at times. I get the subtext about Plainview not liking people, etc., but Paul Thomas Anderson seems to get worse with his pacing (or maybe it's his editing) with each movie.

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions!"
kyguy78
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby treat24 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 pm

kyguy78 wrote:Dewey Cox - was ten times funnier than I thought it would be. It's that stupid kind of humor you expect from the Apatow gang. And remember, there's nothing wrong with a little machete fighting!

forgot I saw this too, completely agree... I thought it would suck. It did not take itself seriously and was pretty funny... :-)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:53 pm

treat24 wrote:
kyguy78 wrote:Dewey Cox - was ten times funnier than I thought it would be. It's that stupid kind of humor you expect from the Apatow gang. And remember, there's nothing wrong with a little machete fighting!

forgot I saw this too, completely agree... I thought it would suck. It did not take itself seriously and was pretty funny... :-)

I liked it, but i hated the unnecessary nudity...especially since it was a guy. :-{

I just saw "I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry", not so great, not so great.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk