What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:53 am

eagles21 wrote:
Metroid wrote:
kyguy78 wrote:Watched "The Mist" this evening and was blown away. It was one of those movies that I didn't think was going to be that great, but it ended up being better than I expected. The ending hit me like a ton of bricks because I was so invested in the characters. A great study in psychology and fear; reminded me a lot of Lord of the Flies. Frank Darabont should work exclusively from Stephen King's source material because he truly understands it.

Really?

As someone said earlier The Mist to me looked like a really bad made for TV movie, bad character development, bad acting, awful special effects and even worse CG. The ending hit me exactly the way I thought it would, I remember leaning over and telling my girl, "he's going to shoot everyone in the car, be short a bullet, and then get rescued."

It was an interesting story but I just thought it was very poorly executed, comparing it to Lord of the Flies is sacrilege.

I guess I don't have to watch it now (probably wouldn't anyway though, haven't heard anything great about it). :-b

Like I said it was an interesting story but it never panned out. If you like the cheesy sort of movies where the characters do exactly what they're not supposed to do while you yell at the screen for them to do the right thing...then you might enjoy it. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eagles21 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:02 am

Metroid wrote:Like I said it was an interesting story but it never panned out. If you like the cheesy sort of movies where the characters do exactly what they're not supposed to do while you yell at the screen for them to do the right thing...then you might enjoy it. :-b

oohh, maybe I will watch it now. :-D ;-7
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:13 am

Metroid wrote:
kyguy78 wrote:Watched "The Mist" this evening and was blown away. It was one of those movies that I didn't think was going to be that great, but it ended up being better than I expected. The ending hit me like a ton of bricks because I was so invested in the characters. A great study in psychology and fear; reminded me a lot of Lord of the Flies. Frank Darabont should work exclusively from Stephen King's source material because he truly understands it.

Really?

As someone said earlier The Mist to me looked like a really bad made for TV movie, bad character development, bad acting, awful special effects and even worse CG. The ending hit me exactly the way I thought it would, I remember leaning over and telling my girl, "he's going to shoot everyone in the car, be short a bullet, and then get rescued."

It was an interesting story but I just thought it was very poorly executed, comparing it to Lord of the Flies is sacrilege.

yeah that was me that said it before... and i definitely agree with you here... It's a better read... they did a cheap quick hack job when making the movie. The reason anyone will even remotely like this flick is because the story is decent. Like you said... poorly executed. This movie could have been much much better.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:31 am

treat24 wrote:yeah that was me that said it before... and i definitely agree with you here... It's a better read... they did a cheap quick hack job when making the movie. The reason anyone will even remotely like this flick is because the story is decent. Like you said... poorly executed. This movie could have been much much better.

I never read the book and now not sure I ever will. How closely did the book follow the film? It would be hard for me to not recall the film while reading the book which would bother me.

Maybe if I wait a few years before I read it... :-?
Metroid

Postby treat24 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:36 am

Metroid wrote:
treat24 wrote:yeah that was me that said it before... and i definitely agree with you here... It's a better read... they did a cheap quick hack job when making the movie. The reason anyone will even remotely like this flick is because the story is decent. Like you said... poorly executed. This movie could have been much much better.

I never read the book and now not sure I ever will. How closely did the book follow the film? It would be hard for me to not recall the film while reading the book which would bother me.

I don't know if book is the right term... it's the first part of skeleton crew... which is a collection of short stories... and to answer, it actually followed pretty well to my recollection (been over a decade)... my beef was how it was filmed, the special effects, etc...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:43 am

treat24 wrote:
Metroid wrote:

I don't know if book is the right term... it's the first part of skeleton crew... which is a collection of short stories... and to answer, it actually followed pretty well to my recollection (been over a decade)... my beef was how it was filmed, the special effects, etc...

I see. ;-D

Yeah the special effects were just awful and laughable at times. The tentacle arms? Yeah that was REALLY bad. :-t
Metroid

Postby josebach » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:44 am

treat24 wrote:
Metroid wrote:

I thought the movie was decent, but the novella was REALLY scary. Probably one of Steven King's scariest. The ending in the book was different. Stop reading now if you don't want to know how the book ends...

The book was completely open ended and there was no closure at all. The father didn't kill anybody and nobody got rescued. They just got in the car and drove off into the mist.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby treat24 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:51 am

josebach wrote:
treat24 wrote:

I thought the movie was decent, but the novella was REALLY scary. Probably one of Steven King's scariest. The ending in the book was different.

I totally didn't remember the ending at all... which is weird for me... maybe I need to break out my book... I remember it being very psychological with less action though...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:27 am

josebach wrote:Stop reading now if you don't want to know how the book ends...

Why do I never listen to these? :-B :-b
Metroid

Postby treat24 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:39 am

Metroid wrote:
josebach wrote:Stop reading now if you don't want to know how the book ends...

Why do I never listen to these? :-B :-b

making the text size supersmall might have helped you... but i don't think you could have resisted either way :-b

I saw the Jason Statham, name of the king thing yesterday... if you can get past the cheesy dialogue and the hilariously bad costumes the kruks? are wearing... it's not too shabby...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk