What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby Metroid » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:09 am

I Am Legand - Watched it again, still liked it but I still feel exactly the same about it. It could have been much better. :-?

Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox story - It had it's really stupid moments but it also had me giggling too, I liked it. Not sure about the gratuitous dong shots though. %-6 :-b

Juno - Very cute little film, I absolutely loved it. Ellen Page is a doll and I've always really liked Allison Janney and J.K. Simmons, Juno's father and step mother. Also I've always loved Jason Bateman, he is one of my favorite actors. ;-D ;-D

Wristcutters: A Love Story - Starring Patrick Fugit(Almost Famous) and Shannon Sossamon. It's about a guy who commits suicide because of his girlfriend then finds himself in some sort purgatory for people who take their own lives, a place that is a lot like the world he left only WAY crappier. Everything is kinda monochrome, dirty and trashy and everything seems to be kinda broken. He then discovers his girlfriend has also taken her own life so he goes on a journey to find her...only he accidentally finds love along the way. It was really strange but I thoroughly enjoyed it. ;-D ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:40 am

Watched The Princess Bride last night. :-b

That movie has some classic lines/scenes in it. ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:45 am

Metroid wrote:
[b]Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox story
- It had it's really stupid moments but it also had me giggling too, I liked it. Not sure about the gratuitous dong shots though. %-6 :-b

I agree with you 100%, I saw it in theatres so it was pretty hard to ignore. Very uncomfortable...
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby josebach » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:22 am

Metroid wrote:I Am Legand - Watched it again, still liked it but I still feel exactly the same about it. It could have been much better. :-?

Walk Hard: the Dewey Cox story - It had it's really stupid moments but it also had me giggling too, I liked it. Not sure about the gratuitous dong shots though. %-6 :-b

Juno - Very cute little film, I absolutely loved it. Ellen Page is a doll and I've always really liked Allison Janney and J.K. Simmons, Juno's father and step mother. Also I've always loved Jason Bateman, he is one of my favorite actors. ;-D ;-D

Wristcutters: A Love Story - Starring Patrick Fugit(Almost Famous) and Shannon Sossamon. It's about a guy who commits suicide because of his girlfriend then finds himself in some sort purgatory for people who take their own lives, a place that is a lot like the world he left only WAY crappier. Everything is kinda monochrome, dirty and trashy and everything seems to be kinda broken. He then discovers his girlfriend has also taken her own life so he goes on a journey to find her...only he accidentally finds love along the way. It was really strange but I thoroughly enjoyed it. ;-D ;-D

I agree with you on Juno and I Am Legend in fact I'm going to buy Juno. I thought the best part of I Am Legend was Will Smith's acting. I haven't seen the other two yet.

I think we talked about this before, but did you see The Ex with Zach Braff and Jason Bateman? Jason Bateman was hilarious in it. :-b
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:19 pm

josebach wrote:
Metroid wrote:I Am Legand - Watched it again, still liked it but I still feel exactly the same about it. It could have been much better. :-?

I agree with you on Juno and I Am Legend in fact I'm going to buy Juno. I thought the best part of I Am Legend was Will Smith's acting. I haven't seen the other two yet.

I think we talked about this before, but did you see The Ex with Zach Braff and Jason Bateman? Jason Bateman was hilarious in it. :-b

Yeah we bought Juno before we even saw it, I just had a feeling we would like it that much and we did. And yeah I did watch The Ex and really liked it too, like I said I really like Jason Bateman. ;-D
Metroid

Postby josebach » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:05 pm

I saw Before the Devil Knows You're Dead last night. It was about a couple of brothers played by Ethan Hawke and Philip Seymour Hoffman who decide to rob their parents jewelry store because of financial difficulty. They know the place inside and out because they both worked there and know their parents are insured. Of course it doesn't go as planned. There basically wasn't one redeemable character in this entire movie. There wasn't even a likeable character in the entire movie and Ethan Hawk actually got on my nerves he was such a wuss. On the positive side, it was well acted and the story was clever. It was also edited pretty neat where it kept going back and forth to different timeframes for different characters so the story wasn't necessarily linear. I was a bit let down by the ending, though.

Overall, I'd give it a C+ which is decent, but I probably wouldn't watch it again.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:13 pm

josebach wrote:I saw Before the Devil Knows You're Dead last night. It was about a couple of brothers played by Ethan Hawke and Philip Seymour Hoffman who decide to rob their parents jewelry store because of financial difficulty. They know the place inside and out because they both worked there and know their parents are insured. Of course it doesn't go as planned. There basically wasn't one redeemable character in this entire movie. There wasn't even a likeable character in the entire movie and Ethan Hawk actually got on my nerves he was such a wuss. On the positive side, it was well acted and the story was clever. It was also edited pretty neat where it kept going back and forth to different timeframes for different characters so the story wasn't necessarily linear. I was a bit let down by the ending, though.

Overall, I'd give it a C+ which is decent, but I probably wouldn't watch it again.

Man that wasn't a very good review....I REALLY like Phillip Seymour Hoffman too.
Metroid

Postby onnestabe » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:48 pm

Hot Fuzz - 7/10 - This is not a movie that will stretch your brain or anything, but it's very funny and entertaining - kind of a spoof on cop movies, but not too silly or over the top like a National Lampoon's movie - they actually took the time to install a plot. Not sure if I would buy it, but it's definitely worth a rental if you haven't already seen it.

No Country for Old Men - 9/10 - I'm still not sure what it all meant, but it was riveting. It was all very well acted. All of the characters were very believable as Texans, when they very easily could have been caricatures of Texas stereotypes.

300 - 7/10 - Not sure what to say about this one. It's certainly not authentic or believable as a historical film, but I don't think it was supposed to be. It's a great story that has been modified in the telling to almost become a myth. I think it accomplished what the filmmakers intended.

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room - 6.5/10 - Documentary that I found more interesting than most of you would since I am an auditor and live in Houston. I think it was well put together, and it shed a lot of light on how much influence Enron had over events through their control over energy markets. The accounting fraud is what sunk the Company, but they were doing some pretty despicable stuff to make money anyway. If you aren't interested in the economy, energy markets, or accounting fraud, you could probably skip it and be none the worse for wear.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:54 pm

300 was a waste of my time.

I thought it was an endless battle with a bad story.

I didn't like it at all.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:47 pm

Canucks_Fantasy wrote:300 was a waste of my time.

I thought it was an endless battle with a bad story.

I didn't like it at all.

I had several friends that said basically the same thing. I haven't seen it yet. It seems like another one of those movies that was destined not to live up to its hype.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk