What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Canacuna » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:11 am

IRON CHEF wrote:Glad to see my thread didn't die! :-B

I did some diggin' and revived this bad-boy (all the way on Page 2 [!!!]). Go me. B-)

Anyway, just got done watching Trading Places... I love that movie. That was back when Dan Akroyd was actually funny, y'know. Definitely check it out if you've happened to miss out on this one.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:48 am

I ran into a couple friends at the movie store, and suggested they rent Dr. Strangelove. I ended up going over there to watch it, as well as their choice (Sky Captain).

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow: 5/10
--So many things wrong with this movie. It's supposed to be set in the 30's.. but they refer to the Great War as "World War I" about twelve times. Just ridiculous. Also, his plane gets shot several times, then he dives into the ocean to use it as a submarine.. but it conveniently doesn't fill up with water from the bullet holes. PLOT HOLES GALORE! Decent action, but stay away from this movie unless you're a mindless drone.

Dr. Strangelove: 10/10
--Classic movie. "No fighting in here! This is the War Room!" Best quote! I also love the Coca-Cola bit. Must-rent if you haven't seen it.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:56 am

Nilmerf wrote:I ran into a couple friends at the movie store, and suggested they rent Dr. Strangelove. I ended up going over there to watch it, as well as their choice (Sky Captain).

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow: 5/10
--So many things wrong with this movie. It's supposed to be set in the 30's.. but they refer to the Great War as "World War I" about twelve times. Just ridiculous. Also, his plane gets shot several times, then he dives into the ocean to use it as a submarine.. but it conveniently doesn't fill up with water from the bullet holes. PLOT HOLES GALORE! Decent action, but stay away from this movie unless you're a mindless drone.

i also thought this one was absolutely horrible. the only good thing about the movie is looking at angelina jolie in her limited role. super cheesy movie tho :-t
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:00 am

Strangelove is a great film. Good to see it's being appreciated by a younger generation, Nilmerf. Today I purchased the NC-17 version of the original Robocop. The Criterion Collection released the uncut version of Robocop in 1996 when DVD's weren't yet mainstream and then discontinued the version a few years later. Browing my local used DVD store, I came across a version for $24.95 and couldn't resist.

For those of you that haven't seen the uncut version, it's pretty nasty is some parts. In fact, so nasty it's almost funny after a while. You kind of get numb after a while. Anyways, Robocop is a classic and the uncut version is just more blood and guts from director Paul Verhoeven (Total Recall/Basic Instinct). The scene where Peter Weller gets blown away by the baddies is pretty gruesome in the cut version, but the uncut version is way over the top. His hand gets blown off on screen with lots of blood spewing out of his stump. Arm gets blown off on screen, more blood spurting. Way more squibs go off when he gets hit in the chest. The end shot of his head getting shot is waaaay more graphic. It's pretty insane.

There's probably five or six scenes in the movie where there is noticeably more gore involved. If you can find it, and are into great classic sci-fi, this one's a keeper. I mean, c'mon, it's the original Robocop. The sequels suck, but the original is timeless.

9/10
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:04 am

Yeah, Jolie is hot but I think Paltrow was hotter in the movie.. you only got to see half of Angelina's face and her uniform wasn't very revealing. :~( Plus, I love blondes! ;-D

Deluxe, you gotta start renting some more classics! Casablanca put you off? You need something with colour? Try.. The Sting with Robert Redford and Paul Newman. Not quite the 80's like you're into but great nonetheless. The Untouchables is a good one from the 80's. Along with the last two Star Wars movies but I've bet you've seen those.

EDIT: And thanks Duran.. I wish more people in my generation looked back on the old stuff. I realize that pop culture has gone done the tubes in the 21st century. Classic albums and classic movies are few and far between the crappy teen-comedies and bad rap/pop music.
Last edited by Nilmerf on Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:12 am

Nilmerf wrote:Yeah, Jolie is hot but I think Paltrow was hotter in the movie.. you only got to see half of Angelina's face and her uniform wasn't very revealing. :~( Plus, I love blondes! ;-D

Deluxe, you gotta start renting some more classics! Casablanca put you off? You need something with colour? Try.. The Sting with Robert Redford and Paul Newman. Not quite the 80's like you're into but great nonetheless. The Untouchables is a good one from the 80's. Along with the last two Star Wars movies but I've bet you've seen those.

check my sig ;-D

anyways..i said i liked casablanca...i just thought the ending sucked cause he didnt get the girl. yeah im on a huge kick to see old movies...ill get strangelove for sure. this draft has been cool because im getting lots of ideas of ones i need to see.

paltrow...man she was SUPER annoying in that movie...couldnt get past that. i am a blonde lover too...but she is a little bit too skinny for my taste...ill take jolie over her any day :-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nilmerf » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:19 am

By the last two Star Wars movies I meant Empire and Jedi.. which were both in the 80's. Episode I and II were okay but not as good as the originals.

And yeah Paltrow was annoying, but she was alright to look at when I wasn't cringing at the terrible plot lines. I still can't believe they said World War I!
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:24 am

Nilmerf wrote:By the last two Star Wars movies I meant Empire and Jedi.. which were both in the 80's. Episode I and II were okay but not as good as the originals.

And yeah Paltrow was annoying, but she was alright to look at when I wasn't cringing at the terrible plot lines. I still can't believe they said World War I!

yeah i agree, and yeah i own them all...id rank them in this order:

empire strikes back
return of the jedi
attack of the clones
a new hope
phantom menace

i know people will disagree, thats just what i think. i just like darth maul...he is a bad mother :-) thought id show him my support for a couple of days :-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:47 pm

I saw Dr. Strangelove a few years ago after hearing all the hype and hated it- probably because I didn't get many of the jokes and had no familiarity with the cold war. Upon watching it again last year I liked it a lot more; its definitely a classic.

empire strikes back
return of the jedi
attack of the clones
a new hope
phantom menace

Switch around A New Hope and Attack of the Clones and I'd rank them the same way. I heard that Episode 3 is supposed to be a lot like Empire Strikes Back in the sense that it is a darker movie than the others. Hopefully Lucas can finish out the saga with a bang.

Deluxe, if you haven't yet you have to check out the Back to the Future movies to get your 80s fix- best trilogy ever. :-)

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:15 pm

IRON CHEF wrote:Deluxe, if you haven't yet you have to check out the Back to the Future movies to get your 80s fix- best trilogy ever. :-)

yeah i havent seen any of them since i was younger..good call ;-D
i think im gonna do a poll to see what people think is the best trilogy ever. stay tuned... B-)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk