What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby RiffRaff » Sat May 31, 2008 10:18 pm

beanoX3 wrote:Rambo IV

Stallone shouldn't have made this. I don't remember all that much from the previous three Rambos, but I can say now that IV ruined the legacy a bit I had in my mind. Stallone old body worked with for a Rocky comeback, but not for Rambo. I was kinda embarrassed for him when I noticed the movie was speeding up a lot of parts where Rambo was running around, trying to create an impression that Stallone was actually moving quickly and jumping over stuff. Surprising level of gore and violence though. Either the overall tameness of Hollywood has gotten to me or Rambo IV pushed it pretty far, I can't decide which. Overall, the movie is pretty forgettable.

5/10

The movie should be seen for it's gore alone. The movie is what it is and I enjoyed it a lot. ;-D

A good waste of time and, yes, is pretty forgettable. If only I could get the scenes of people's heads being blown off. :-o
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby treat24 » Sat May 31, 2008 10:22 pm

RiffRaff wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:Rambo IV

Stallone shouldn't have made this. I don't remember all that much from the previous three Rambos, but I can say now that IV ruined the legacy a bit I had in my mind. Stallone old body worked with for a Rocky comeback, but not for Rambo. I was kinda embarrassed for him when I noticed the movie was speeding up a lot of parts where Rambo was running around, trying to create an impression that Stallone was actually moving quickly and jumping over stuff. Surprising level of gore and violence though. Either the overall tameness of Hollywood has gotten to me or Rambo IV pushed it pretty far, I can't decide which. Overall, the movie is pretty forgettable.

5/10

The movie should be seen for it's gore alone. The movie is what it is and I enjoyed it a lot. ;-D

A good waste of time and, yes, is pretty forgettable. If only I could get the scenes of people's heads being blown off. :-o

I agree with raff, the gore was sweet, the movie was entertaining. I don't think beano saw 2 or 3. Otherwise, I don't think he would call the series a legacy AND not enjoy Rambo IV. If you liked 2 and 3, you'd have to like 4, cuz it's better IMO. Personally, I thought 2 and 3 were kinda dumb and cheesy, I loved, absolutely loved First Blood. This movie (IV) was my 2nd favorite in the series. Doesn't mean it's a great flick at all. Just entertaining and a lot of violent gore.

I marathoned all 4 of them Wednesday and Thursday, so they are pretty fresh in my mind.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Metroid » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:22 am

RiffRaff wrote:
Metroid wrote:Just watched Southland Tales by the same writer/director that did Donnie Darko. It was pretty out there but I absolutely loved it. The cast was very diverse, quirky and interesting. It stared Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Seann William Scott and Sarah Michelle Geller and had a bunch of other people in it like John Larroquette, Justin Timberlake, Mandy Moore, Jon Lovittz, Amy Poehler, Cheri Oteri, Will Sasso, and Kevin Smith. The soundtrack was awesome too. I can't do the film justice trying to describe it, if you wanna read a synopsis click here. I think if you liked Donnie Darko you'll probably like Southland Tales. ;-D

Complete disagreement. Not even close to Darko's quality.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/southland_tales/

However, I did see a few reviewers that had Met's opinion.

I didn't say it was as good as Donnie Darko...how could it be? I said if you liked DD you'd probably like Southland. That is coming from both Shannon and I who love Donnie Darko and liked this film too. Anyway there are a couple things in the film that made me like it more than most maybe. First the soundtrack by Moby with his own original music and songs from Radiohead, The Pixies, Jane's Addiction, The Killers, and Waylon Jennings was great. Second I'm really liking Dwayne Johnson as an actor and I want/like to see him in rolls that you wouldn't expect...the same goes for Justin Timberlake, his little drug induced, lip synced, choreographed number to that Killers song was awesome. And last the cinematography was great, I liked how there were very few close ups and most of the film was shot from a wide angle. Plus I'm always a sucker for any sort of futuristic apocalyptic type films. :-?

Oh and even though she was hardly in it I have a huge crush on Mandy Moore...so there's that too. O:-) :-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:32 am

kyguy78 wrote:Charlie Wilson's War - A terrific movie and just further proof that Tom Hanks and Phillip Seymour Hoffman are two of the best in the business.

Yup great film. I totally agree with you on Phillip Seymour Hoffman he is easily one of my favorite actors and his character was awesome. Tom Hanks did a fine job but in the end Hoffman stole the show. How they interacted together was very fluid though and fun to watch.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby cardiac cats » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:01 pm

I would say the Strangers is worth a view. I thought it was a good horror movie and it was certainly very suspensful. I know I was on the edge of my seat quite a few times... and again strangers in creepy masks equals freaky.

I'll have a review for cloverfield later today
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby treat24 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:45 pm

The Onion Movie, although it was made in 2003 and is being released on Tuesday, this was Steven Seagals best movie in 10-15 years. Decent stuff, some funny, some not... your typical movie like this...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby cardiac cats » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:32 pm

Cloverfield 7.5/10

I liked it. The handheld filming style really makes you feel like you're with these ppl who find themselves in an extraordinary situation... the special effects were a mixed bag though, some shots were great while others weren't up to snuff. Lots of cool sequences involving heavy weapons fire, monsters(ahem), explosions, etc. etc.
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby RiffRaff » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:50 am

treat24 wrote:The Onion Movie, although it was made in 2003 and is being released on Tuesday, this was Steven Seagals best movie in 10-15 years.

You're such a RoosterPuncher. :-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:04 pm

Gone Baby Gone i thought this was pretty good, albeit a bit depressing. skank mom did a good acting job, although Casey Affleck as a badass is a bit of a stretch. i thought the story was pretty good, but what i liked better is that this is the type of movie to make you question your own morals...

8/10

Cloverfield
the best part was that it was only 90 minutes, but it didnt suck as bad as i thought it would. CloverFeld would make a nice SNL skit…JERRY:”what’s the deal with monsters, why are they so angry anyway”. Could have George not help someone getting attacked by those little crabs and then at the end get attacked and yell “Kramer…KRAMER!!!!”…maybe have that Elaine get trapped and yell “JERRRR-REYYYY!”

6/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikus » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:51 pm

Alright, I will be the first to admit that I have seen Sex & the City.

I give it a 6/10. Not terrible I suppose, but a chick-flick nonetheless. I guess it would have been better had I known more of the story, but that would have required me to watch all the seasons and I was not ready for that kind of commitment.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk