What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:33 pm

SniperShot wrote:So I saw "The Happening" and I'll just say it's a very odd and different film. Pretty typical of M Night Shyamalan these days. The guy is really smart yet a tad insane. He does his own thing which is really cool. Definitely goes against traditional Hollywood elements and the cookie cutter style of film making we've gotten used to these days. Worth a watch in my opinion if your a fan of his films and that crazed style and like to see something different. Don't go expecting to see amazing acting or awesome special effects. Go to see an interesting story told by one of the few film makers of these times who's worked very hard to stay independent and do his own thing.

I'm in the minority of those who've enjoyed the film but I'm with Roger Ebert who gave it 3/4 stars. ;-D

8/10 here.

I saw it and also enjoyed it. You're right about us being in the minority. I actually thought the worst part about it was Mark Wahlberg's acting. He whined the entire movie and it was really distracting. There were some pretty gruesome death scenes in it and I actually liked the film's concept. Better acting would have caused me rate it higher, but as is, I also have to give it an 8/10. (B-)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:39 pm

I saw The Other Boleyn Girl. I hadn't heard much about it and rented it because I figured it was one my wife would enjoy on a Sunday night and I like Eric Bana and Scarlett Johansson. Anyway, I REALLY enjoyed it. If you like period films that are historically based, this is a must see. Even though I'm sure they took some poetic license with the story, this movie just goes to show that reality is often stranger than fiction. It really is an amazing story and I highly recommend it. Natalie Portman did a hell of a job in it.

B+
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:01 pm

josebach wrote:I saw The Other Boleyn Girl. I hadn't heard much about it and rented it because I figured it was one my wife would enjoy on a Sunday night and I like Eric Bana and Scarlett Johansson. Anyway, I REALLY enjoyed it. If you like period films that are historically based, this is a must see. Even though I'm sure they took some poetic license with the story, this movie just goes to show that reality is often stranger than fiction. It really is an amazing story and I highly recommend it. Natalie Portman did a hell of a job in it.

B+

:-° For the rave reviews you just gave it, how did it only get a B+?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby SniperShot » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:23 pm

Man last I checked B+ was a pretty good grade.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:38 pm

SniperShot wrote:Man last I checked B+ was a pretty good grade.

It is, but he's talking about it like it's one of the best movies he's ever seen.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:26 am

josebach wrote:I actually thought the worst part about it was Mark Wahlberg's acting.

Really? That sucks, I really like Marky Mark and he was one of the reasons I was looking forward to seeing it.

Just finished the 3rd season of Weeds...good stuff. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:04 pm

Metroid wrote:
josebach wrote:I actually thought the worst part about it was Mark Wahlberg's acting.

Really? That sucks, I really like Marky Mark and he was one of the reasons I was looking forward to seeing it.

Weeds Rocks!
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:10 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
SniperShot wrote:Man last I checked B+ was a pretty good grade.

It is, but he's talking about it like it's one of the best movies he's ever seen.

I said I really liked it and that it was an amazing story. How does that translate into it being one of the best movies I've ever seen? :-?

It was very good. Very good to me is a B+. If I used superlatives like "excellent", "great" or "awesome", then you might see some A's from me. ;-) :-b
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby treat24 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:22 pm

Metroid wrote:

The whole movie is performed by people that belong in a high school play. You can tell even Mark thought this movie was crap and phoned in the role. M.Night.Jackhat ... i give this -4/1o (negative 4 out of 10 :-b )... I'm being rather generous, but I'm in a good mood today. my wife just planted a bunch of flowers yesterday so if they are happy, i guess i'm happy :-) :-°

ok but seriously... no way I give it a 5/10... 4/10? 3/10? I don't know... i enjoy most movies... meh... probably a little blinded by the fact that M.Night is the most predictable director in hollywood for me. Some of his movies don't need much prediction, but I also view "predictability" in a movie as knowing how the rest of the movie will go either very early on or before even seeing it, including any twists. it's possible our minds just work on a similar wave length, so i see where he is going with his films. it just annoys me to think about that as being a possibiliy.

(underlined both parts so you know I'm not trying to say he's predictable to everyone, obviously a lot of people, for some unbenounced reason to me, didn't figure out the 6th sense... so i'll just put it to me... I, me, Scott, Treat, thinks he's ridonkulously predictable, I'm trying not to make assumptions on those who don't. I know many people that haven't)

The previews made me think it would be awesome. It was "R" rated, thought M.Night would prove me wrong. I didn't even give Lady in the water a chance cuz the previews made me laugh. The Happening looked so, well, good! in the previews. grrr... oh well... I'm sure i'll try your next one m.night.heytreatareyoureadytowatchacrapfestimadethismoviespecialforyou... make me think you can make a decent movie once, shame on me, make me go see most of your movies and waste hours I could be doing something better, shame on me.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby RiffRaff » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:40 pm

treat24 wrote:
Metroid wrote:

The whole movie is performed by people that belong in a high school play. You can tell even Mark thought this movie was crap and phoned in the role. M.Night.Jackhat ... i give this -4/1o (negative 4 out of 10 :-b )... I'm being rather generous, but I'm in a good mood today. my wife just planted a bunch of flowers yesterday so if they are happy, i guess i'm happy :-) :-°

ok but seriously... no way I give it a 5/10... 4/10? 3/10? I don't know... i enjoy most movies... meh... probably a little blinded by the fact that M.Night is the most predictable director in hollywood for me. Some of his movies don't need much prediction, but I also view "predictability" in a movie as knowing how the rest of the movie will go either very early on or before even seeing it, including any twists. it's possible our minds just work on a similar wave length, so i see where he is going with his films. it just annoys me to think about that as being a possibiliy.

(underlined both parts so you know I'm not trying to say he's predictable to everyone, obviously a lot of people, for some unbenounced reason to me, didn't figure out the 6th sense... so i'll just put it to me... I, me, Scott, Treat, thinks he's ridonkulously predictable, I'm trying not to make assumptions on those who don't. I know many people that haven't)

The previews made me think it would be awesome. It was "R" rated, thought M.Night would prove me wrong. I didn't even give Lady in the water a chance cuz the previews made me laugh. The Happening looked so, well, good! in the previews. grrr... oh well... I'm sure i'll try your next one m.night.heytreatareyoureadytowatchacrapfestimadethismoviespecialforyou... make me think you can make a decent movie once, shame on me, make me go see most of your movies and waste hours I could be doing something better, shame on me.

You went? :-?
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk