What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby treat24 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:44 pm

RiffRaff wrote:You went? :-?

haha, yeah don't remind me... but this one looked good. I have sworn M.Night off about 5 times... but i'm a glutton.

wish I'd gone to see The Incredible Hulk, which I'm probably going to on Wed or Thur before I head to the cabin

edit: i guess i should add that i saw it for free because a friend stole it (torrent) and burned it. So i guess there is a chance it wasn't the actual theatrical version. he got the halloween remake that way and it was not completely the same... so who knows...

I'll be fair here. It was entertaining, at no point did I get bored or mad at it. I just think with a cool idea like that, they could have done a little more and it could have ended way better. As has been said, the acting was poor, not just Mark, but all. meh, it's not that bad, but 8/10 had me shocked. I agree with most critics on this one.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Just watched DIG, a documentary on two American rock bands The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols and the love/hate relationship between them. It follows the very promising Brian Jonestown Massacre and their extremely talented yet egotistical, drug addicted, selfish, frontman/songwriter Anton Newcombe as they completely self destruct on and off stage over a period of seven years. At the same time chronicling the success of The Dandy Warhols and their frontman/sonwriter Courtney Taylor. Jonestown Massacre was at one time wanted by every major record label but because of Anton and his nonconformist, anti-machine views as well as his problems with heroin addiction and unwillingness to embrace any sort of commercial success they became ousted by nearly every record label large or small. Apparently in the beginning people in the know used to flock to their shows to hear their awesome retro yet fresh rock and roll sound, but near the end people just showed up to see if the band itself would explode into a fist fight on stage or if Newcombe would melt down and assault someone in the crowd.

I really like the early Dandy Warhols stuff but had never heard of Jonestown Massacre, Zia McCabe of The Dandy Warhols said it best in the film "their kinda like The Velvet Underground of our time." She hit the nail on the head, I'm gonna have to try and find some of their music. ;-D

If you're into documentaries or modern/retro rock and roll...or just enjoy watching a good train wreck I highly recommend it. ;-D ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:34 pm

I had a buddy in from out of town and we say The Love Guru this past weekend.

It was horrible. To give you an idea, the audience was silent through 90% of the movie. We should have seen Get Smart instead. :-/

I give it a D. (6/10)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:38 pm

Metroid wrote:Just watched DIG, a documentary on two American rock bands The Brian Jonestown Massacre and The Dandy Warhols and the love/hate relationship between them. It follows the very promising Brian Jonestown Massacre and their extremely talented yet egotistical, drug addicted, selfish, frontman/songwriter Anton Newcombe as they completely self destruct on and off stage over a period of seven years. At the same time chronicling the success of The Dandy Warhols and their frontman/sonwriter Courtney Taylor. Jonestown Massacre was at one time wanted by every major record label but because of Anton and his nonconformist, anti-machine views as well as his problems with heroin addiction and unwillingness to embrace any sort of commercial success they became ousted by nearly every record label large or small. Apparently in the beginning people in the know used to flock to their shows to hear their awesome retro yet fresh rock and roll sound, but near the end people just showed up to see if the band itself would explode into a fist fight on stage or if Newcombe would melt down and assault someone in the crowd.

I really like the early Dandy Warhols stuff but had never heard of Jonestown Massacre, Zia McCabe of The Dandy Warhols said it best in the film "their kinda like The Velvet Underground of our time." She hit the nail on the head, I'm gonna have to try and find some of their music. ;-D

If you're into documentaries or modern/retro rock and roll...or just enjoy watching a good train wreck I highly recommend it. ;-D ;-D

i saw like 1/2-3/4 of this, i had it DVR'd but kept falling asleep and forgetting where i left off and finally just decided i had the gist of it. all i really remember is Zia's boobs :-b

funny thing is i just bought a Velvet Underground Best Of the other day and it made me think of Jonestown...i may check it out myself
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Velvet Underground is one of my favorites. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:39 pm

josebach wrote:I had a buddy in from out of town and we say The Love Guru this past weekend.

It was horrible. To give you an idea, the audience was silent through 90% of the movie. We should have seen Get Smart instead. :-/

I give it a D. (6/10)

Ick. Thanks for the heads up.
I guess it did terrible a the box office and for good reason. :-t :-P

I saw Hulk and it was pretty good. Looks like a star-studded sequel is coming.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby treat24 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:05 pm

Let's see, I haven't done any posting in here for a bit.

Charlie Bartlett - decent, enjoyable. I've always liked anton yelchin, RD Jr. is one of my favs. Kat Denning was cool in 40 year old virgin, similar character here. I think it's worth the rent. Definitely stole some stuff from Pump up the Volume, maybe a little from Almost Famous. More PUTV though. OK stuff.

The Hammer - So much better than I thought it would be. It's great for a straight to video movie. Most straight to videos aren't worth a crap. This was good. Adam Corolla (former golden gloves boxer in real life) plays a similar character to his real life boxing side. He's 40 in the movie and tries making a comeback. Also worth a rent, blockbuster exclusive though. He adds a bunch of his humor in there as well.

All in all, a decent morning watching vids.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby eagles21 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:45 pm

Finally saw The Mist. I thought it was a really good movie, although I think the acting of David Drayton wasn't that great. But like I've said before, I rate movies by how much they entertain me, not by the little things that are wrong. 8/10. ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Venom » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:16 am

The Bucket List.

Two of my favorite actors, Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson.

Loved it ;-D
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby cardiac cats » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:31 pm

Wanted 8/10

pretty cool movie. I think it took in over 50 million this weekend... Lots of hyper-stylized action scenes and crazy "matrix style" slowed down gun sequences. Visually pleasing to the eye for sure, and I'm not just talking about Angelina Jolie :-)
A few plot questions remain but they don't detract too much from the experience...... A fun(and sometimes funny) action flick. ;-D
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk