What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby logan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:38 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Saw the drug recovery drama Clean and Sober starring Michael Keaton today. After viewing the original Batman movies again, I've been on a bit of a Keaton kick lately and thought I'd check out one of his better dramatic roles. (By the way, if anyone has a recommendation for a Keaton film, please hit me up.) I have to say, this was one of the best performances I've ever seen out of Keaton in any film. The first half of the film sets the dark tone of the story, where we see Keaton's character go through the typical stages of addiction, until he finally concludes that he has a severe alcohol and drug dependency. I really bought into his performance, especially during the stages where he is at his most pathetically dependent on drugs. Just watching him plead with his mother to loan him $30,000 so he can cover up an outstanding debt really makes you feel horribly sad for his situation. Nothing says depressing like asking your mother to take out a second loan on the house you grew up in, just to cover up an outstanding debt thanks in part to substance abuse.

The film also stars Morgan Freeman, who plays the part of a recovering addict who counsels Keaton while he's in rehab. It's an early performance for Freeman who really shines as a counselor who doesn't completely buy into Keaton's commitment to sobriety. During the second half of the movie, Keaton, with help from Freeman and the always dependable actor M. Emmet Walsh, begins to put his life back together, while watching one of his fellow recovering addicts, a young Kathy Bates, struggle to stay clean. My only complaints are that we didn't get to see Keaton's character suffer more through the process of trying to free himself from the bonds of addiction. At times I found myself hoping to see Keaton suffer more physical anguish while trying to detox, but it doesn't at all take away from his performance. I really do look forward to checking out more of his earlier films, but I'm afraid this may be the most dramatic role he's tackled in his library of work.

8/10

My Life is a great dramatic role for him as well as Pacific Heights where he plays a pretty good bad guy although the movie on the whole isn't amazing but he plays a real scumbag which was a departure for him at the time.serious roles for keaton are few and far between really.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:55 pm

logan wrote:My Life is a great dramatic role for him as well as Pacific Heights where he plays a pretty good bad guy although the movie on the whole isn't amazing but he plays a real scumbag which was a departure for him at the time.serious roles for keaton are few and far between really.

I've heard great things about Pacific Heights, so that may very well be next on my queue. I have seen My Life and that's one movie that tugs at your heartstrings a bit. Have you seen The Paper?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby logan » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
logan wrote:My Life is a great dramatic role for him as well as Pacific Heights where he plays a pretty good bad guy although the movie on the whole isn't amazing but he plays a real scumbag which was a departure for him at the time.serious roles for keaton are few and far between really.

I've heard great things about Pacific Heights, so that may very well be next on my queue. I have seen My Life and that's one movie that tugs at your heartstrings a bit. Have you seen The Paper?

no that's one of the few of his movies i don't remember seeing.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby cardiac cats » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:03 pm

you can never go wrong with multiple keatons, watch multiplicity ;-D
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:12 pm

cardiac cats wrote:you can never go wrong with multiple keatons, watch multiplicity ;-D

That movie gets such a bum rap. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. After all, we do get to see Michael Keaton play several different characters in the same movie and it does star the beautiful Andie MacDowell. Sure, it's no Beetlejuice or Mr. Mom, but it's certainly not as bad as Jack Frost. :-o
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:29 pm

Saw Pineapple Express earlier today. It didn't live up to my expectations, but it was still a good movie with a ton of good stupid stoner humor.

7.5/10
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:35 am

I'm out sick for the next few days, so it's movie time for the good Doctor. Saw Saving Private Ryan for the very first time today. Hey, at this point I am all about the three hour epics since all I have is time. Talk about a remarkable cast! Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Tom Sizemore, Ed Burns, Barry Pepper, Paul Giamatti, Vin Diesel, Ted Danson, the list goes on and on. First off, this really isn't a "Tom Hanks" film. What I mean by that is - it's a movie with Tom Hanks, but Hanks isn't the glue that holds it all together, IMO. This is a true ensemble, with everyone contributing major pieces to the story. I was particularly impressed by the first half hour, which is easily the most realistic and violent portrayal of war I have ever witnessed in a movie. I realize what I just wrote is par for the course in just about every review out there, but it cannot be stated enough.

The horrors of war are all here; watching the people next to you get shot dead, witnessing people stagger around looking for lost limbs, seeing people burned alive, stepping in oceans of blood. I teared up with the realization that these disturbing images are more reality than fabrication. While a film like Hostel shows you the contrived glorification of macabre, Saving Private Ryan's depiction of death and suffering really took place. If you haven't seen the D-Day Invasion of Normandy scenes that open the film, be warned - it's an awakening to the true brutality of ground warfare. No video game, nor any Schwarzenegger or Norris film comes close. As soldier ready themselves as their amphbious units land at the beach, dozens of men in each group are shot dead before reaching the beach. Those that make it to the sand are often equally unfortunate, shot multiple times before bleeding out or watching the guy next to them get his face literally blown off.

To quote Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now: "The Horror. The Horror."

I cannot even imagine fighting in that battle and coming out of it with a shred of sanity. Living through such a traumatizing experience only to recall the living hell of that day would drive almost anyone insane. The constant zipping and pinging of bullets screaming past your body, the explosions, pools of crimson draining from surrounding bodies - all nightmares people who survived that day would likely recall in their remaining years. During moments of that film, I had to wonder if it was all worth it, considering how far from world peace we are. But I digress.

After the D-Day events transpire, Hanks and his crew are ordered to contact a soldier who's three brothers were all casualties of war. The remaining hours of SPR are spent witnessing the journey Hanks and Co. take while trying to find Private Ryan and send him home. I won't get into the scene-by-scene development of the film, but I will say that it never disappoints. It's no wonder this is one of the most revered films of all time. Steven Spielberg does a masterful job of building tension and developing the film while getting the best performances from his cast. George Lucas should have taken notes before screwing up the second Star Wars trilogy. See, it is possible to have tons of special effects and actually use it to help the story, not make it look like crap. In any case, this is one film everyone should see, even if you might not have the stomach. It really does give you a great deal of perspective on the nature of war and how it effects people caught in the middle. Easily a 10/10.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:00 am

You could always watch Jackie Brown again Doc...I know Michael Keaton's roll is small but the character is great. ;-D

How had you not seen Saving Private Ryan? Man...have you watched Band Of Brothers yet? :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Aug 08, 2008 2:26 am

Metroid wrote:You could always watch Jackie Brown again Doc...I know Michael Keaton's roll is small but the character is great. ;-D

How had you not seen Saving Private Ryan? Man...have you watched Band Of Brothers yet? :-?

On the Jackie Brown note, damn straight I'm watching Jackie Brown again. ;-D

As for Band of Brothers - haven't seen it yet but certainly plan to. I think The Thin Red Line may also be in my queue. What's your opinion on Band or TRL?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:54 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Metroid wrote:You could always watch Jackie Brown again Doc...I know Michael Keaton's roll is small but the character is great. ;-D

On the Jackie Brown note, damn straight I'm watching Jackie Brown again. ;-D

As for Band of Brothers - haven't seen it yet but certainly plan to. I think The Thin Red Line may also be in my queue. What's your opinion on Band or TRL?

I know I've seen Thin Red Line but I don't remember it...guess that may be saying something. :-?

Ban of Brothers is awesome, I think I like it more than Saving Private Ryan and I loved that film. Watching the progression of the soldiers during their tours is very interesting. Everything about it seems very authentic...two words: The Jump. When they jump out of the planes through a hail of antiaircraft fire over Normandy....wow, amazing scene. 8-o

Highly recommend it. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk