What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby treat24 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:19 am

RiffRaff wrote:ok, i just don't understand the need for the opening weekend for a limited release. Why the rush for a limited audience? Looks like around $70 million i guess.

It's was going to make the same amount of money either way, there was no need to bring it out early. If this movie was worthy, than we might see a lot more.

I guess the Movie Theaters are getting desperate to keep us going to the theaters with the "Rental" Outlets slashing each others throats devaluing the movie experience. :-t

This was just a silly Midnight Vampire thing. :-D

I'm shocked you don't see the cash cow behind this. I can't believe I'm defending this... the books were ok, the movie was meh... what I'm defending and annoyed by is how you don't see the money in this movie even though you are in the business. There is a huge market for this movie. I know several people who went to the midnight showing and have already seen it a second time and are planning a third. It's following is dedicated. You talk about the limited audience... It has sold over 25 million copies already... The Fantasy Sports Trade Association estimates that between 15 and 18 million people played fantasy sports last year. That's all fantasy sports, not just football. More people have read Twilight than play fantasy football. Fantasy football is directed at guys, Twilight at girls. The movie may feel irrelevant to normal guys, but it's a monstrosity and the thing of the moment for many girls. Just because you aren't it's target market, doesn't mean it's irrelevant or unworthy. Come on. It had nothing to do with being a midnight vampire movie... it had to do with the giant amount of fans. Like I said, in the cities (the Twin Cities obviously... half the people in Mankato can't even read :-b ) the theaters were sold out at midnight. The theaters were catering to their public. By doing this, theaters LITERALLY sold a midnight ticket, then sold another ticket to that same person less than 24 hours later in many cases. I know because I talked to people who did that very thing. (Treat talks to toooo many girls at work...)

Heck it had the 29th best opening weekend of all time... :)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby treat24 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:30 am

According to Fandango more than 500 midnight showings were already sold out 2 days prior to opening night... worth it

from nov 17th from everywhere really... IMDB had this one... many places quoted it wrote:I don't know if you've heard of it, but there's this movie called Twilight opening this weekend. It's probably not any good, in fact it looks like a direct-to-dvd castoff, but it's fans are so addicted to the books that they're lining up to see it in droves. In fact, the thing is already selling out. According to data released by Fandango, more than 500 midnight showings of Twilight are already sold out. Bear in mind that it's late Monday and the first showing won't even start until the wee hours of Friday morning. Anyone thinking of walking up and buying a ticket, forget it. They'll be gone. 86% of all tickets being sold on Fandango right now are being sold to Twilight fans, or as the folks on our podcast dubbed them this weekend: "Twekkies". The Twekkies will be out to see this thing in force on Friday. The question is.

also...

Not that you need to be told this, but the sequel to "Twilight" . . . "New Moon" . . . has been given the green light. "Twilight" just opened with $70.6 MILLION this weekend. It's on track to become the highest-grossing vampire movie AND the highest-grossing movie by a female director.

"Twilight" is second only to "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" for the record of biggest opening-day gross for a non-summer release. "Twilight" took in $35.7 million on Friday. "Goblet" made $40.1 million when it opened in November of 2005.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RiffRaff » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:21 pm

I've been wrong before, it'll happen a couple more times today.

Mankato people are dumb, no need to apologize. :-)

I don't read, I dumb; I only watch movies. If I wanted to read, I'd go to school. :-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby RiffRaff » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:23 pm

I guess what I'm trying to say is, "Girls are Dumb and that's a mathematical fact and it's science." :-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:34 pm

Never, ever, ever underestimate the effect teenage girls can have on how popular a movie/band is.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:15 pm

Well A) I've heard enough about this movie/book series from the chicks at school to last me a lifetime, and B) I enjoyed Role Models, it has some really funny parts in it, some of it was just ho hum, but I got a kick out of it. 7.5/10. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby treat24 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:20 pm

treat is a girlie man... :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby treat24 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:24 pm

RiffRaff wrote:I guess what I'm trying to say is, "Girls are Dumb and that's a mathematical fact and it's science." :-D

2nd :-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:17 pm

I'd say like 80+% of my female students saw the movie over the weekend, and a lot of the dudes, too.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:37 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Twilight - saw with the wife, she read the books, i didnt. i didnt care for it, but it was well acted/directed for what it was, so i can respect that. she didnt really care for it either. after the movie was over i asked her if Edward (the vampire) got all excited when he first met Bella (the girl) because she was on her period.

6/10

I was in the same situation. I thought the movie was somewhat entertaining but you could tell the budget was low. Acting was actually pretty good and it was directed well. It is doing well because of the books though.

I saw the midnight showing and everyone thought I was wierd because I was participating like the Rocky Horror Picture Show. :-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk