What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby treat24 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:24 am

BigBadBrawler wrote:
SniperShot wrote:Anyone seen the Day the Earth stood still? I'm hearing many mixed reviews so far. Mainstream reviewers saying it's trashy while some friends say it's alright...

Dunno if I should go out to see this one or not.

Saw it tonight because I happened to have the night off from work (never happens) and I'm a sucker for anything showing on an IMAX Screen. It was a pretty solid sci-fi movie that looked great in the IMAX format. Keanu Reeve's stiff acting actually fits his role for a change and the storyline was decent (I've never seen the original so I can't compare the two though). Overall, it was a good not great movie (I'd give it about a 7/10) and personally, if I couldn't see it at the IMAX, I'd probably just skip it altogether in the theaters and wait for the DVD... ;-D

I hate this review! Dang you brawler. I was thinking about going to see it at the IMAX. I'm a zoo member and get in cheaper, it's 4 miles from my house, but like met... when i go to the theater and especially the IMAX, I want it to be great. Sounds like it won't be up to my standards for an IMax movie... and then you add that last line... grrr :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby cardiac cats » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:30 pm

Anyone else bummed that the Spirit is rated PG-13? All along I assumed it would be rated R with Frank Miller attached and the graphic novel aspect to it, but I guess they went more mainstream for the cash. I still want to see it but I'm considering skipping it all together at the movies, which sucks... meh, maybe the reviews will be great and sway me.
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:41 pm

I saw Role Models last night. This is just a funny movie that's good for a lot of laughs. I'm a big Paul Rudd fan and Seann William Scott filled his typical meathead role pretty well. I'll give it an 8/10. ;-D
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BigBadBrawler » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:14 am

treat24 wrote:I hate this review! Dang you brawler. I was thinking about going to see it at the IMAX. I'm a zoo member and get in cheaper, it's 4 miles from my house, but like met... when i go to the theater and especially the IMAX, I want it to be great. Sounds like it won't be up to my standards for an IMax movie... and then you add that last line... grrr :-b

Figures, the first time I write a review and Treat hates it. :-D

If you're gonna see it in the IMAX Treat, then I'd go. The visuals really are stunnning, and in that format, I think it's well-worth the money. I'd just lower your expectations a bit for the story-line/climax of the film. It starts off very interesting and then coasts from there (kinda ending in a whimper IMO). Still very entertaining, but without the IMAX visuals, the experience wouldn't have been nearly as heightened or effective. Sorry if you hate me still... ;-) ;-D
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:46 pm

I saw Kung Fu Panda yesterday. Simply an All-Star cast, great animation, solid storyline and overall a great flick. Jack Black was fantastic as the main character Po.

I'll give it an 8/10
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:58 pm

Incredible Hulk - Pros: no mutant dogs, no Nick Nolte. Cons: kinda sucked

6/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:19 pm

I saw "Bolt" this weekend. My buddy hadn't seen the new 3D technology yet and we were looking for something to do while the wives baked cookies, so we decided to check it out. It was a LOT of fun. Both of us laughed all the way through it. I had disciplined my dog earlier that morning for getting too wound up around my friend's daughter and the whole movie I was thinking about getting home so I could make it up to her. If you're a dog person, it's a must see.

9/10 (A-)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby cardiac cats » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:00 pm

Zodiac 8.5/10

A meticulous and thoroughly detailed look at the infamous Zodiac case and its impact on 3 employees of the San Francisco Chronicle involved with the phenomenon. The 3 headed cast of Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr., and Mark Ruffalo is terrific but there are plenty of other great roles by known actors throughout the film. The movie clocks in at over 2 1/2 hours and is fairly slow in pace, so some may be a bit turned off by it, but my attention was held throughout.
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm

I checked out Yes Man last night. I really did not know what to think heading into this movie but it really exceeded my expectations. Pretty funny throughout with a decent plotline. It's nothing great but definitely entertaining. I'll give it a 7.5/10. ;-D
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:33 pm

obviously I haven't seen it yet but I'm really looking forward to the new X Men Origins: Wolverine flick...trailer can be seen here.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk