What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:15 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
Tyeattolah wrote:I'm hoping to see American Gangster and Man on Fire this coming weekend...anyone seen these and are they worth watching? :-?

I enjoyed both of them. I think Man on Fire was better, but both are worth the cost of rental for sure.

That depends if you remember to return them on time. I realized the other day that I had forgotten to return a couple movies for a while and there were $106 of late fees...fortunately they were nice and waived most of it.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:16 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
Tyeattolah wrote:I'm hoping to see American Gangster and Man on Fire this coming weekend...anyone seen these and are they worth watching? :-?

I enjoyed both of them. I think Man on Fire was better, but both are worth the cost of rental for sure.

Totally agree. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:29 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:

That depends if you remember to return them on time. I realized the other day that I had forgotten to return a couple movies for a while and there were $106 of late fees...fortunately they were nice and waived most of it.

Can they do that? 2 movies aren't even close to being worth that. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:

Can they do that? 2 movies aren't even close to being worth that. :-°

Well, I think they have a standard amount that you need to pay per week, and it had been close to 2 months since I rented them, because I had thought I returned them and then saw them lying around my house and thought oh crap. Anyway, I spoke to the manager who told me the original fee, and I responded that I couldn't pay that kind of money on the spot (completely true) and that I'd have to do it at another time. Then, he asked if I could pay $20 on the spot and call it even. I handed him a 20 dollar bill, he accepted it, I thanked him, and I was on my way. I'm not sure why he decided to waive $86 of the fee, but I wasn't about to question it.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:46 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Well, I think they have a standard amount that you need to pay per week, and it had been close to 2 months since I rented them, because I had thought I returned them and then saw them lying around my house and thought oh crap. Anyway, I spoke to the manager who told me the original fee, and I responded that I couldn't pay that kind of money on the spot (completely true) and that I'd have to do it at another time. Then, he asked if I could pay $20 on the spot and call it even. I handed him a 20 dollar bill, he accepted it, I thanked him, and I was on my way. I'm not sure why he decided to waive $86 of the fee, but I wasn't about to question it.

Probably because no sane person would pay that for used movies. Do some movie rental stores have caps on these late fees? I mean a single DVD generally can't cost more than $20, especially of the rental variety. How can they justify charging $50 for a single movie? I suppose it's the late fees, not the actual movie...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:41 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Well, I think they have a standard amount that you need to pay per week, and it had been close to 2 months since I rented them, because I had thought I returned them and then saw them lying around my house and thought oh crap. Anyway, I spoke to the manager who told me the original fee, and I responded that I couldn't pay that kind of money on the spot (completely true) and that I'd have to do it at another time. Then, he asked if I could pay $20 on the spot and call it even. I handed him a 20 dollar bill, he accepted it, I thanked him, and I was on my way. I'm not sure why he decided to waive $86 of the fee, but I wasn't about to question it.

Probably because no sane person would pay that for used movies. Do some movie rental stores have caps on these late fees? I mean a single DVD generally can't cost more than $20, especially of the rental variety. How can they justify charging $50 for a single movie? I suppose it's the late fees, not the actual movie...

I recently forgot about a pair of movies I rented from Blockbuster. Their policy is no late fees, however if they aren't returned in something like 10 days they charge your account, with your credit number on file, the cost of the movies. If you return the movies prior to 20 days they refund your account minus a $1.50 restocking fee per movie. If you are past 20 days you bought the movies and they wont take them back. I was past the 20 days so I bought Eagle Eye for like $14.95 and that stupid Righteous Kill movie for $19.95....I'll never forget to return a movie on time again. :-[
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby joejlitz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:55 am

Saw Eagle Eye last night. Liked it, though was a bit disappointed but can't say why without spoiling the movie.

As for you "store renters," what's up with that? Join Netflix or Blockbuster online. It's the best. No late fees. Movies arrive in 2 days and I think I pay 19.99 a month for 3 at a time. Plus, with Blockbuster online, you can return the one you got in the mail for a movie from the store - so you get an instant movie and another one arrives at your house in 2 days (unless you live in Timbuktwo).
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:49 am

joejlitz wrote:Saw Eagle Eye last night. Liked it, though was a bit disappointed but can't say why without spoiling the movie.

As for you "store renters," what's up with that? Join Netflix or Blockbuster online. It's the best. No late fees. Movies arrive in 2 days and I think I pay 19.99 a month for 3 at a time. Plus, with Blockbuster online, you can return the one you got in the mail for a movie from the store - so you get an instant movie and another one arrives at your house in 2 days (unless you live in Timbuktwo).

I watch so few movies that it's just not worth it to me. I've honestly rented like 2 movies in the past year.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:48 am

joejlitz wrote:Saw Eagle Eye last night. Liked it, though was a bit disappointed but can't say why without spoiling the movie.

I watch so few movies that it's just not worth it to me. I've honestly rented like 2 movies in the past year.

Yeah, we don't rent enough movies to make it worth our while either. We use OnDemand pay per view movies when we do though.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bungle613 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:01 am

I watch a bunch of movies but really, for new movies there hasn't been anything out in so long that I HAD to see I wait and just buy them. A rental from blockbuster up here (Canada) I think is $6 and I can buy a used movie from blockbuster about 6-8 weeks after release for the same price. I go once every couple of months and drop $60-80 bucks and pick up 10-15 movies.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk