What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri May 08, 2009 10:23 pm

cardiac cats wrote:Star Trek 8.5/10

Having never followed Star Trek persay, this was very entertaining. You get it all- action, humor, romance, drama, etc... Kirk and Spock were both great and the supporting cast was very well rounded(Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Eric Bana, Harold from Harold and Kumar-John Cho I believe). The special effects and action scenes were top notch, good stuff.

Overall just a good sci-fi flick and great way to appeal to a newer generation(har har) who might not know much about Star Trek.

Good to hear. I've been wanting to see it. ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Tue May 12, 2009 5:06 pm

Anyone seen Role Models, yet? It stars Stiffler from American Pie and McLovin (!) from Super Bad and some other guy you would know if you saw Knocked Up.

This movie rocked. We laughed out loud pretty much throughout the movie. Stiffler (not really Stiffler cause this isn't American Pie) and the Knocked Up guy go from high school to high school trying to sell their Minotaur energy drinks. They get in trouble with the law and have to do community service and the hilarity ensues. McLovin is absolutely awesome as he lives a real-life Dungeons and Dragons-style role-playing game and gets into sword fights with the other nerds who strive to be 54th level Paladins and such.

Definitely a must see when you want to laugh. 9 out of 10 on the comedy scale!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Metroid » Tue May 12, 2009 5:55 pm

Yeah I really liked Role Models too, I know some didn't but I thought it was hilarious. The short scene where the little kid Ronny slaps the crap out of "Stiffler" as he's getting out of his truck killed me. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby portisfan24 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:03 pm

Saw Star Trek a couple nights ago, pretty much agree with Cardiac's analysis. I never followed the originals but this was really entertaining. They also do a good job of keeping the sci-fi aspect minimal. Obviously its there, but honestly I didn't even notice it too much. All in all a solid movie.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cardiac cats » Wed May 13, 2009 8:01 pm

Burn After Reading 7/10

Maybe not quite as special as some of the other Coen Bros. movies, but nonetheless pretty funny. The cast was great: John Malkovich, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Tilda Swinton, and Frances McDormand ;-D ....all of them were on point and I liked the fact that each character had their own hilarious, memorable scenes. And the ending was perfect.
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Metroid » Sat May 16, 2009 1:33 pm

Watched Taken last night....I really don't get all the praise. I mean it was entertaining but some people made it out to be a lot better than it was. I love Liam Neeson but his character was just kinda...meh, and the girl that played his daughter is just an awful actress, I know she wasn't on screen much but when she was I just cringed. Too much of all the characters background was either assumed or completely unknown and how Neeson's character got from point: A to point: B was totally unbelievable...or at least unexplained. I don't need to have my hand held through a movie but this one seemed to be lacking A LOT of depth and detail. Like I said entertaining....doubt I'll watch it again though. :-?

Also watched Notorious. I like Bio-flicks and this one was pretty good. Pretty genuine to Biggie's story, and to the East Coast/West Coast rap scene during the late 80s and 90s. The actors left something to be desired at times. The main actor looked like Biggie somewhat I guess...but more of like a baby-faced, Fat Albert version. The actor that played 2-Pac...not even close, and while the actor that played Puffy had his dance movements down, he missed too. Lil Kim's character was the most believable...and had nice boobies to boot. I also wish they would have just lip synced Biggie's music instead of having the character do it....he did not to it justice to say the least. Overall good watch. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby logan » Sun May 17, 2009 12:00 am

Nfl Fan wrote:
cardiac cats wrote:Star Trek 8.5/10

Having never followed Star Trek persay, this was very entertaining. You get it all- action, humor, romance, drama, etc... Kirk and Spock were both great and the supporting cast was very well rounded(Simon Pegg, Karl Urban, Eric Bana, Harold from Harold and Kumar-John Cho I believe). The special effects and action scenes were top notch, good stuff.

Overall just a good sci-fi flick and great way to appeal to a newer generation(har har) who might not know much about Star Trek.

Good to hear. I've been wanting to see it. ;-D

being a huge fan of Trek i will add that this movie was fantastic with a few minor exceptions. first being not near enough of simon pegg who was great as scotty and the second being the cheapening of what kirk did with the kobayashi maru. it came off way more as cheating then brilliant thinking and tactics by kirk.granted he reprogrammed it in the original mythos as well but they always led you to believe it was making so it was possible to help the ship but still make it perilous. the even gave kirk an commendation for it. i'll just put that up to how he developed in this time line though.

outside of that the cast was great as a whole with chris pine doing a perfect version of kirk without just doing a kirk impression and urban was a great mccoy as well.loved his line about his wife getting the whole planet in the divorce and all he had left was his bones.the ship was great as well. it was really cool seeing the inner workings of the ship outside of just the bridge and small sets for sick bay and engineering.engineering was huge as it should be and i liked the cooling pipes and turbo fans for the cooling.

could have done with a little less lens flare as well. overall it wasn't bad and it fit with the bridge scenes but there were sometimes where it really didn't seem to be needed but eh that's a minor complaint even JJ brought up in interviews.

9.5 out of 10 for me.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby portisfan24 » Sun May 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Angels and Demons

Definately entertaining. However, like all books that get turned into movies there was lots left out. However it was still good. I saw it with a group of people who hadn't read the book and they all liked it a lot. If you liked Da Vinci Code or are interested in the Church/Rome/Vatican City you will enjoy it. I could have done with more explanation on the science side of it. I knew what was going on from the book but I still thought there could have been more storyline on that side.

8/10 Worth seeing in theaters I think.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun May 17, 2009 2:46 pm

portisfan24 wrote:Angels and Demons

Definately entertaining. However, like all books that get turned into movies there was lots left out. However it was still good. I saw it with a group of people who hadn't read the book and they all liked it a lot. If you liked Da Vinci Code or are interested in the Church/Rome/Vatican City you will enjoy it. I could have done with more explanation on the science side of it. I knew what was going on from the book but I still thought there could have been more storyline on that side.

8/10 Worth seeing in theaters I think.

I was going to ask if anyone saw this. I thought Da Vinci was kind of stupid but liked the Angels and Deamons book.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun May 17, 2009 7:11 pm

Wolverine - meh
6/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk