What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby eagles21 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:06 pm

Hotel Rwanda - 7.5/10

Solid movie. Pretty depressing, but it gives a good depiction of what happened in Rwanda in the mid-90s. Sort of like Schindlers list (although I liked Schindlers List better). I still recomment it though. ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:24 am

Sexy Beast Ben Kingsley tries to convince a retired bank robber (the guy from Beowolf...looking very out if shape and paunchey yet the movie is like 10 years older :-? ) to do one last job. the guy doesnt want to do it, but Ben is a guy you dont want to say no to. hijinks ensue. nothing special but Kingsley's performance is ;-D
NOTE: it is in The Queens English you may want to watch with subtitles
7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cardiac cats » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:04 pm

District 9 9/10

Freakin' awesome... I'd say about 2/3 of the way thru the film I realized how truly attached I was. Gripping story, great special effects, cool action scenes, and just a refreshing take on aliens in general. Now I'm not saying it's perfect(it surely has flaws), but wow this is one of the best science fiction movies in quite awhile ;-D
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:21 pm

cardiac cats wrote:District 9 9/10

Freakin' awesome... I'd say about 2/3 of the way thru the film I realized how truly attached I was. Gripping story, great special effects, cool action scenes, and just a refreshing take on aliens in general. Now I'm not saying it's perfect(it surely has flaws), but wow this is one of the best science fiction movies in quite awhile ;-D

Pretty much my reaction. Besides The Hurt Locker, it's the best movie I've seen this year.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:44 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:

Pretty much my reaction. Besides The Hurt Locker, it's the best movie I've seen this year.

i really want to see this...doubt i'll have time to though...i'll have to wait for the DVD

anyway, saw I Love You Man...pretty funny...forgoes trying to be overly disgusting or vulgar (not that i mind, and not that there isnt some of that, but it just seems like all the Superbad type movies just go so far over the top it loses it's funnyness). i LOLed a few times. Rashida Jones is pretty hot. oh and Jason Segal doesnt show his crank in it, so that's good
7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:58 am

17 Again

Didn't want to see it, but the wife was interested in it and I felt like being accomodating, so...it was was actually really good. It's a new twist on the old storyline about the adult who becomes young again. Lots of funny moments and a few laugh out loud moments. A nice family flick or chick flick. 7/10
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:57 pm

Well put. This truly is an incredible movie. Well worth a 9/10 rating. I might have to try and see it again in theaters.

I just hope they make a sequel considering the way they finished it. It ended very well, but so much was left up in the air.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby joejlitz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:20 am

steelerfan513 wrote:Saw the midnight showing of Funny People. It was awesome. The cast was star-studded and all did a great job; Sandler put together one of the best performances of his career (and one that stands out from the other notable ones I can think of like Happy Gilmore :-D ), Seth Rogen was funny and awkward as usual, and all the supporting actors did their jobs well to amazingly (Leslie Mann did a great job and Eric Bana was great in his somewhat brief role as the Australian husband). The jokes were pretty much all hilarious. Personally I loved how Apatow managed to combine a laugh out loud comedy with some pretty serious romantic drama because it was all really well done, but I'm sure there are plenty of people that will get turned off by that type of combo. It's also a pretty long movie as a result of that. Nonetheless, I still loved it.

Anybody else see this yet? I got a buddy who loved the first hour or so of it and then said that it tried to get too serious and then it got boring and then he almost walked out of the theater. The only thing that kept him from walking out is that he NEVER walks out. I want to see it, but I'd like to hear more about it.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby bungle613 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:09 pm

:-b

I'm searching in here for film reviews now. My movie guy just dropped off a load. Took 3 I have never even heard of but big name cast.

Informers with Thornton, Basinger, Ryder and Rourke
Fragments with Beckinsale, Whitaker, Fanning, Pearce
Perfect Getaway with Jovovich.

I'll let you know.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby cardiac cats » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:36 pm

Inglourious Basterds 7.5/10

Initially not as floored as I'd hoped, the more I think about it I could easily give this an 8...because when all is said and done, you get classic Tarantino dialogue- and that's exactly what he excels in; completely over indulgent at times yet deceptively intricate at others. In particular, the opening scene just builds and builds ever so subtly until its thrilling conclusion- the execution nearly flawless from Mr. Tarantino. It just oozes with style and substance...

I'll put it this way:don't go in expecting crazy action and over the top violence such as the trailer suggests, yeah it's there but not as abundant as you might think(maybe that's why I was initially taken aback). However you will get razor sharp dialogue, great characters, many memorable scenes, a hilarious Brad Pitt, and a wild finale that only Mr. Tarantino could envision ;-)
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk