What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby joejlitz » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:20 am

cardiac cats wrote:Inglourious Basterds 7.5/10

...you get classic Tarantino dialogue- and that's exactly what he excels in; completely over indulgent at times yet deceptively intricate at others...However you will get razor sharp dialogue, great characters, many memorable scenes, a hilarious Brad Pitt, and a wild finale that only Mr. Tarantino could envision ;-)

That's awesome. That's why I love QT. The dialogue he writes can be extremely memorable. I hadn't see the movie, but I was a little surprised to see the only QT big-name actor returning is Pitt. He likes to reuse his actors over and over. Unless I missed something. :-?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:44 pm

joejlitz wrote:

...you get classic Tarantino dialogue- and that's exactly what he excels in; completely over indulgent at times yet deceptively intricate at others...However you will get razor sharp dialogue, great characters, many memorable scenes, a hilarious Brad Pitt, and a wild finale that only Mr. Tarantino could envision ;-)

That's awesome. That's why I love QT. The dialogue he writes can be extremely memorable. I hadn't see the movie, but I was a little surprised to see the only QT big-name actor returning is Pitt. He likes to reuse his actors over and over. Unless I missed something. :-?

He also likes to find that obscure actor or actress and revive their career somewhat, Pam Greir in Jackie Brown and John Travolta are two examples. Not sure if he's done that with anyone in this film or not.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby logan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:55 pm

Metroid wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

He also likes to find that obscure actor or actress and revive their career somewhat, Pam Greir in Jackie Brown and John Travolta are two examples. Not sure if he's done that with anyone in this film or not.

probably not revived anyone's in this film as it's a pretty young and unknown cast but he is going to make christoph waltz a huge star much like he did with sam jackson. pulp made jackson a household name and much like jackson waltz seems to be made to recite tarntaino's dialog.his acting was amazing and he should at the very least get nominated for an oscar.the guy acted in four separate languages brilliantly and could have had a movie all his own.

I'd give the movie a 9-9.5 honestly. i think it's tarantino's best work as writer/director since pulp fiction.it had a very pulp fiction feel to it with the chapters dealing with the different characters during different parts of the story and all ending up in the same place.the cast was brilliantly acted by all (well maybe except for eli roth or mike myers but that's debatable) and the movie never felt like it dragged at any time.the movie falls right behind reservoir dogs and pulp for me.

plus HUGO STIGLITZ.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:04 pm

Watchmen - 7/10

Very solid movie. Visually it was stunning and the fight sequences were impressive. I haven't read the graphic novel so I can't comment on it's relation to that, but I was impressed.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Manja » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:06 am

Metroid wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

Mike Myers?
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Metroid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:32 am

Watched some movies while I was on IR the last few days....

Watchmen: I Really enjoyed it, visually stunning, excellent fight sequences, some incredible cinematogrophy, and great dialog. I tot have never read the story, so I can't speak to how loyal it is to the book, but it seemed like a fresh idea for a film and put a new spin on "superheroes."

Gran Torino: I like it as well. Some of the acting, other than Clint, was subpar at times but it was mostly enjoyable. The racist overtones got to be a bit much but really didn't seem all that out of place. The ending was a bit harsh. Oh and the Gran Torino is still a butt ugly car.

The Godfather/The Godfather II: I had a couple free non new release rentals so I picked these up, I hadn't seen either in years, To be honest I'm not sure why I don't own them. They're still excellent films, timeless really. They both are on the long side, especially part II, and sometimes they drag on a little, but overall they are still solid films and better than most of the crap that Hollywood is spewing out these days. It's always fun to see huge name actors so young, Al Pachino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Robert De Niro. For two movies made in the early 70's they really have held up well.
Metroid

Postby joejlitz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:11 am

I saw Watchmen as well, and while it's not nearly as good as Iron Man or Sin City as far as "comic books to theater" movies go, it was still pretty good. The only thing I was disappointed in was that the original story line wasn't followed. The movie started out about Rorshack thinking there was a vigilante out there killing all retired super heroes. But then the movie turned in a different direction - for good reason of course and still very original, and also probably true to the storyline in the graphic novel (which I did not read). I'm just saying that it would have been pretty cool to see a whole movie about a vigilante killing retired super heroes.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:36 am

joejlitz wrote:I saw Watchmen as well, and while it's not nearly as good as Iron Man or Sin City as far as "comic books to theater" movies go, it was still pretty good. The only thing I was disappointed in was that the original story line wasn't followed. The movie started out about Rorshack thinking there was a vigilante out there killing all retired super heroes. But then the movie turned in a different direction - for good reason of course and still very original, and also probably true to the storyline in the graphic novel (which I did not read). I'm just saying that it would have been pretty cool to see a whole movie about a vigilante killing retired super heroes.

I suppose they were just trying to make one film, they easily could have made a series.
Metroid

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:59 am

Metroid wrote:Watched some movies while I was on IR the last few days....

The Godfather/The Godfather II: I had a couple free non new release rentals so I picked these up, I hadn't seen either in years, To be honest I'm not sure why I don't own them. They're still excellent films, timeless really. They both are on the long side, especially part II, and sometimes they drag on a little, but overall they are still solid films and better than most of the crap that Hollywood is spewing out these days. It's always fun to see huge name actors so young, Al Pachino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Robert De Niro. For two movies made in the early 70's they really have held up well.

yeah i havent watched either of those in a few years...i love the end sequence of Godfather...

joejlitz wrote:I saw Watchmen as well, and while it's not nearly as good as Iron Man or Sin City as far as "comic books to theater" movies go, it was still pretty good. The only thing I was disappointed in was that the original story line wasn't followed. The movie started out about Rorshack thinking there was a vigilante out there killing all retired super heroes. But then the movie turned in a different direction - for good reason of course and still very original, and also probably true to the storyline in the graphic novel (which I did not read). I'm just saying that it would have been pretty cool to see a whole movie about a vigilante killing retired super heroes.

IMO that would have been lame, it would have felt like any other superhero story...it was fairly true to the graphic novel, main difference was the means to the ending, but i think it actually worked quite nicely
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:02 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:Watched some movies while I was on IR the last few days....

yeah i havent watched either of those in a few years...i love the end sequence of Godfather...

IMO that would have been lame, it would have felt like any other superhero story...it was fairly true to the graphic novel, main difference was the means to the ending, but i think it actually worked quite nicely

Well piss in my cheerios, why don'tcha. !+)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk