What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby portisfan24 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:04 am

The Invention of Lying 8/10

Really funny. For a PG comedy I really enjoyed it. If you are a fan of Ricky Gervais you will definately like it, and even if you aren't I would recommend it.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:14 am

The Brothers Bloom - darkish comedy with Adrian Brody and Mark Ruffalo as Con Artist brothers who go for one final elaborate con involving Rachel Weisz...hijinks ensue...kinda has a Wes Andersonish tone to it
7/10

Sunshine Cleaning - another darkish comedy, with some chicks who start a business cleaning up after crime scenes and have a crappy family life
7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CineMamet » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:57 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:The Brothers Bloom - darkish comedy with Adrian Brody and Mark Ruffalo as Con Artist brothers who go for one final elaborate con involving Rachel Weisz...hijinks ensue...kinda has a Wes Andersonish tone to it
7/10

Sunshine Cleaning - another darkish comedy, with some chicks who start a business cleaning up after crime scenes and have a crappy family life
7/10

Saw Brothers Bloom on the plane so might have missed some things, but thought it was good not very good. The quirky indie meter was set to overkill and thus I wasn't sure if I was supposed to laugh or think it was "cool" in certain parts. I think Rian Johnson has a bright future as a writer/director but he might want to tone down the overstylized "Wes Anderson" stuff and the constant showering of metaphor and literary allusions. Might trying to be too clever or too cute. Also, didn't like Brody's casting. But certain elements were fun and somewhat refreshing.
CineMamet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Response Team
(Past Year: 138)

Postby FearandLoathinginATL » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02 pm

I finally got around to seeing Miss March and I loved it. The Whitest Kids U Know have a comedy style all their own, and I know a lot of people dont like it, but this movie was awesome. If you've seen the show and like it, you will definitely like this movie. Zach Cregger plays a perfect straight-laced guy to Trevor Moore's off-the-wall friend role. Miss March also has one of the funniest characters of all-time in Horsedick.MPEG. Craig Robinson is hilarious and his songs are even better. If you like Whitest Kids U Know, or just like immature humor I would definitely recommend this movie.

9/10
FearandLoathinginATL
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:26 pm

FearandLoathinginATL wrote:I finally got around to seeing Miss March and I loved it. The Whitest Kids U Know have a comedy style all their own, and I know a lot of people dont like it, but this movie was awesome. If you've seen the show and like it, you will definitely like this movie. Zach Cregger plays a perfect straight-laced guy to Trevor Moore's off-the-wall friend role. Miss March also has one of the funniest characters of all-time in Horsedick.MPEG. Craig Robinson is hilarious and his songs are even better. If you like Whitest Kids U Know, or just like immature humor I would definitely recommend this movie.

9/10

I do like their show, sometimes it's just too off the wall, but most of the time I love it. I'll have to check out that movie. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:42 pm

FearandLoathinginATL wrote:I finally got around to seeing Miss March and I loved it. The Whitest Kids U Know have a comedy style all their own, and I know a lot of people dont like it, but this movie was awesome. If you've seen the show and like it, you will definitely like this movie. Zach Cregger plays a perfect straight-laced guy to Trevor Moore's off-the-wall friend role. Miss March also has one of the funniest characters of all-time in Horsedick.MPEG. Craig Robinson is hilarious and his songs are even better. If you like Whitest Kids U Know, or just like immature humor I would definitely recommend this movie.

9/10

i've seen it a few times, it's OK, never been a huge fan of it though...i recall reading some reviews that said the movie was terrible
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FearandLoathinginATL » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:18 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:

9/10

i've seen it a few times, it's OK, never been a huge fan of it though...i recall reading some reviews that said the movie was terrible

Well I mean like I said, a lot of people dont like The Whitest Kids U Know's comedic style, it is very hit or miss. I just think the type of characters Zach and Trevor played on the show were very similar to the ones they played in the movie and it worked well. It could very well be my feelings for the show bleeding over into the movie but i definitely think its at least worthwhile to see for TWKUK fans.

I also finished the AFI top 100(both lists) today with Singin' in the Rain. I never thought I'd say this but those guys can DANCE. Not a big fan of musicals but everything about this movie was just fantastic. I just don't think there was anything they could have done to improve it. It was funny and light yet still kept my attention. I would recommend it to anyone, even those afraid of a little song and dance with their cinema.

10/10

Has anyone seen Ong-Bak 2? I found a clip today of Tony Jaa fighting his way to what appeared to be the Black Knight from the Holy Grail and it was totally sweet. Is it as good as his other movies?
FearandLoathinginATL
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby treat24 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:29 pm

Paranormal Activity

Don't believe the people promoting this film. Scariest ever? I'll tell you the scariest thing in the movie... It goes about 20 days and they don't change their sheets once. The entire theater had mixed reactions of "ummm... what the ***" and hysterical laughing at it's pathetic attempt. Lots of people chattering about how it wasn't remotely scary. HUGE waste of money. Watch an episode of Ghost Hunters or possibly one of the darker Disney Pixar movies if you want to watch something of comparable scariness. :-°
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby joejlitz » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:59 pm

treat24 wrote:Paranormal Activity...

Holy Cow...a Treat sighting!

I watched Armagedden again tonight and that movie is still a 10/10. Bruce Willis saves the world. Heroism, laughs, thrills, love. It's got it all. If you haven't seen this yet, you gotta see it. And if you did see it, watch it again! ;-D
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:11 pm

joejlitz wrote:
treat24 wrote:Paranormal Activity...

Holy Cow...a Treat sighting!

I watched Armagedden again tonight and that movie is still a 10/10. Bruce Willis saves the world. Heroism, laughs, thrills, love. It's got it all. If you haven't seen this yet, you gotta see it. And if you did see it, watch it again! ;-D

Treat's the one who got me watching Ghost Hunters a couple Halloween's ago.

Armagedon??? :-t What a blowfest. Went to see it in the theater, me and a buddy, his wife, and my buddy's dad. Went out for a late dinner afterwards and were all not even talking about the movie it was so boring and overdrawn. The movie actually made the meal uncomfortable. I guess we have very different opinions.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk