What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby FearandLoathinginATL » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:11 pm

cardiac cats wrote:Call the academy, we've got a zombieland hater! :-o

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I didn't hate it, I was just way disappointed when I finally saw it, especially since I had heard only the best about it. I could see a lot of the jokes coming, and even some of the lines. Plus, that cameo killed me. I read today that Joe Pesci turned down that cameo role and I think he would have been so much funnier as the surprise. I also downloaded it, but I hear this was a good movie to see in theatres so maybe I should have done that.

I just think a lot of movie companies today do the same thing over and over again with a different twist and expect it to work just as well. After several thousand years of story telling, I know its difficult to come up with something new, but there is just so little originality in Hollywood. I mean, Shakespeare didn't come up with the ideas for a lot of the plays he wrote, but the way he wrote them made them works of art. This movie is just so cliche in some of its plot elements, characters, and dialogue I found it hard to really enjoy.

But like I said, it wasn't horrible, just not nearly as good as I expected.
FearandLoathinginATL
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:30 pm

I saw Zombieland again, and it definitely lost a lot of its value from the first time. It definitely isn't intended to be a work of art, but I still maintain that it isn't intended to do anything except get a ton of laughs, and in that regard it does a great job. Seeing it on opening weekend really added to the experience because the theater was full and laughing the entire movie.

I don't think it's a zombie movie that maintains its value like Shaun of the Dead (I know they're different movies, but they're both comedies about zombies, so...), but the first time around it's awesome.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby cardiac cats » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:28 pm

Where The Wild Things Are 9/10

Loved it...visually stunning and I was surprised at the depth presented; There are some complex themes and ideas explored here. Really cool movie that kids and adults can enjoy, and wow the ending was totally tugging at my heartstrings :~(
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:18 am

cardiac cats wrote:Where The Wild Things Are 9/10

Loved it...visually stunning and I was surprised at the depth presented; There are some complex themes and ideas explored here. Really cool movie that kids and adults can enjoy, and wow the ending was totally tugging at my heartstrings :~(

I need to go and see ASAP.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:01 am

steelerfan513 wrote:I saw Zombieland again, and it definitely lost a lot of its value from the first time.

Every time I see a trailer or hear mention of this movie it reminds me of this and I still laugh.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:30 am

Dead Girl a couple of slacker dudes find some sort of zombie chick chained up in an old asylum and bang her a lot...hijinks ensue. not really all that scary or groundbreaking but it was a decent watch
7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Guru13 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:54 am

cardiac cats wrote:Where The Wild Things Are 9/10

Agreed, very good movie - but I dunno man, I don't think I'd take a small child to see it. I remember reading the book when I was really little but geez this was violent! Mud clods became bombs, and that one guy gets like a major cut on his head when the little kid tells the bird to throw to mud clods at him. I kept expecting the kid to get hit and just like die or something. I that they were gonna pile on top of him and kill him, it was kinda messed up. I kept thinking if I was... the.. opposite of low, the movie would've been hysterical. For example when he pulls the chicken's arm off (wtf) and he's like "awww that was my favorite arm" and there's like sand fallin' out of his arm. The whole movie was a bit trippy.

But it was really good. :-b I'd suggest seeing it.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:11 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:I saw Zombieland again, and it definitely lost a lot of its value from the first time.

Every time I see a trailer or hear mention of this movie it reminds me of this and I still laugh.

That's funny. It reminds me of this...and I lol. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Redskins Win » Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:04 pm

Metroid wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:

That's funny. It reminds me of this...and I lol. :-B

that made me lol too. i'm not sure how responsible the reporting is saying that there are websites to tell you how to alter signs :-? I'm all about that

last movie i saw was drag me to hell, but that was probably relavant 50 pages back
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Where the Wild Things Are

I wouldn't call this a movie that's great for little kids. It's a little violent, and there are some parts that would scare some little kids. That being said, it was very well done; no complaints really. Unfortunately, I fell asleep for about half an hour in the middle (big meal at Fuddruckers + warm movie theater + comfortable seat = sleep apparently :-B ), but that definitely wasn't because the movie wasn't good.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk