What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby treat24 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:50 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Where the Wild Things Are

I wouldn't call this a movie that's great for little kids. It's a little violent, and there are some parts that would scare some little kids. That being said, it was very well done; no complaints really. Unfortunately, I fell asleep for about half an hour in the middle (big meal at Fuddruckers + warm movie theater + comfortable seat = sleep apparently :-B ), but that definitely wasn't because the movie wasn't good.

Yeah, it was OK. I thought it would be a lot better, and it's not really a great kids movie. anticlimactic too. Law Abiding Citizen on the other hand was very very good and intelligent. Well worth theater money. I had been salivating since the first trailer for Where The Wild Things Are and it didn't live up. Good, not great.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby cardiac cats » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:37 pm

I agree, older kids(say 8 to 12) would be better suited for something like WTWTA...... gotta love the Wild Things though, amazing use of practical costumes mixed with the CGI facework- I believe that's how it was done.
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:15 pm

Haven't gone to the movies in a while, maybe since Harry Potter? But man, I can't WAIT for Saw VI
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:Haven't gone to the movies in a while, maybe since Harry Potter? But man, I can't WAIT for Saw VI

Seriously? Every time a new one comes out I shake my head and ask 'why do they keep making these?' The first one was great but everything since has been pretty bad to awful...to be fair though I stopped watching them after the 3rd one.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:28 pm

Metroid wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:Haven't gone to the movies in a while, maybe since Harry Potter? But man, I can't WAIT for Saw VI

Seriously? Every time a new one comes out I shake my head and ask 'why do they keep making these?' The first one was great but everything since has been pretty bad to awful...to be fair though I stopped watching them after the 3rd one.

They're pretty bad. I still see each new one, just because. I'm the reason they keep making them. :-b
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cardiac cats » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:23 pm

Brick 7/10

slick, crime noir set in a modern day high school... think of how the 96' Romeo and Juliet dialogue was but in this case all the characters talk like they're 1950's Chicago mobsters or something. Main star is Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and again he proves his acting chops(check out The Lookout if you haven't). Worth a flyer if you're itching for something a little unconventional ;-D
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:02 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Metroid wrote:

They're pretty bad. I still see each new one, just because. I'm the reason they keep making them. :-b

Even though they aren't the greatest of movies, I just love the thinking of what goes on during it, especially the second one when Jigsaw says, "Officer, if you want to see your son, then you have to wait it out and play the game". Who would have thought that the kid was in the safe right behind Jigsaw?! Awesome IMO.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:11 pm

treat24 wrote:

I wouldn't call this a movie that's great for little kids. It's a little violent, and there are some parts that would scare some little kids. That being said, it was very well done; no complaints really. Unfortunately, I fell asleep for about half an hour in the middle (big meal at Fuddruckers + warm movie theater + comfortable seat = sleep apparently :-B ), but that definitely wasn't because the movie wasn't good.

Yeah, it was OK. I thought it would be a lot better, and it's not really a great kids movie. anticlimactic too. Law Abiding Citizen on the other hand was very very good and intelligent. Well worth theater money. I had been salivating since the first trailer for Where The Wild Things Are and it didn't live up. Good, not great.

Where The Wild Things Are - 7.5/10

I really wanted to like this movie, but I found myself feeling basically the same way. I came into the movie not knowing what to expect, other than I loved the trailer, but some of the critic reviews and overall hype had me anxious to see it. In the end, it was a pretty big letdown, a score of 7.5 is fairly generous.

The CGI/costumes of the "wild things" were very well done and IMO kept this movie from being a total failure. I think the main problem with the film overall is that it appeals to a very select age group. It's too violent for young children and adults over about 20 yrs old won't find it humorous and I think will have a hard time connecting with most of the characters. It's probably best for about 10-18 year-olds.

Like I said, I liked the trailer a lot more than the movie itself. If you haven't seen it yet, I'd suggest just watching the trailer and leaving it at that...because, in hindsight, that would've been enough for me.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby treat24 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:23 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:
treat24 wrote:

Where The Wild Things Are - 7.5/10

I really wanted to like this movie, but I found myself feeling basically the same way. I came into the movie not knowing what to expect, other than I loved the trailer, but some of the critic reviews and overall hype had me anxious to see it. In the end, it was a pretty big letdown, a score of 7.5 is fairly generous.

The CGI/costumes of the "wild things" were very well done and IMO kept this movie from being a total failure. I think the main problem with the film overall is that it appeals to a very select age group. It's too violent for young children and adults over about 20 yrs old won't find it humorous and I think will have a hard time connecting with most of the characters. It's probably best for about 10-18 year-olds.

Like I said, I liked the trailer a lot more than the movie itself. If you haven't seen it yet, I'd suggest just watching the trailer and leaving it at that...because, in hindsight, that would've been enough for me.

Ha! That's exactly how the wife and I felt. That first trailer that had the song "Wake Up" by Arcade Fire was way better than the actual movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NOkQ4dYVaM
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:48 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:Trick 'r Treat 4 seperate stories on halloween intertwine...hijinks ensue. kinda corny but at only 80ish minutes it was a decent watch
7/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk