What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:35 pm

Oldboy - 8/10

This is a foreign film (South Korea) so it loses points for it's voice-over work even though it's fairly well done. The plot follows a man who is imprisoned for 15 years for, initially, no apparent reason. Upon being released he seeks revenge while unraveling the circumstances behind his imprisonment and the identity of his captor. It all culminates into one of the most shocking, revolting, and incredible endings I've ever seen in a movie.

It's extremely violent at times and definitely isn't for everyone. But it has to be one of the best Asian films out there.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:55 pm

jake_twothousandfive wrote:Oldboy - 8/10

This is a foreign film (South Korea) so it loses points for it's voice-over work even though it's fairly well done. The plot follows a man who is imprisoned for 15 years for, initially, no apparent reason. Upon being released he seeks revenge while unraveling the circumstances behind his imprisonment and the identity of his captor. It all culminates into one of the most shocking, revolting, and incredible endings I've ever seen in a movie.

It's extremely violent at times and definitely isn't for everyone. But it has to be one of the best Asian films out there.

Alright, Asian cinema. ;-D

Oldboy is an excellent film, surely one of the best Asian films of this decade. If you liked that, you might like Brotherhood of War (Taegukgi) and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, both of which are Korean productions.

EDIT: Oh, and make sure you get English subtitles. Unfortunately, some subs, like the dubbed versions, aren't good translations of the originals, but there are some that suffice. I find the best English subs at my local Asian video store or if not, Barnes & Noble and Borders have a mighty big foreign aisle of decent subtitled versions.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:13 am

Invictus- 8.5/10

I loved it. I've always been pretty interested in South Africa, so this was right up my alley. It was a tad slow in places, but I thought it was really well done. Gave me goosebumps a few times throughout the movie. Definately worth seeing in theatres.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:55 pm

Repulsion old, critically acclaimed Roman Polanski thriller starring Catherine Denuve as some sexually repressed chick who lives with her older sister. her sister leaves her alone and she experiences hallucinations. hijnks ensue. it was well directed and the score was really good, but the movie itself was kind of boring. Denuve looked genuinely crazy though
6/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby eagles21 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:21 pm

Avatar - Excellent movie. Starts a bit slow, but it just picked up my interest steadily as it progressed. Exceeded my expectations. 8.5/10.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FearandLoathinginATL » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:18 am

eagles21 wrote:Avatar - Excellent movie. Starts a bit slow, but it just picked up my interest steadily as it progressed. Exceeded my expectations. 8.5/10.

I was waiting for someone to post something about this. Did you get to see it in 3-D? Just wondering if it lived up to the hype of "the future of cinema."
FearandLoathinginATL
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:28 am

FearandLoathinginATL wrote:
eagles21 wrote:Avatar - Excellent movie. Starts a bit slow, but it just picked up my interest steadily as it progressed. Exceeded my expectations. 8.5/10.

I was waiting for someone to post something about this. Did you get to see it in 3-D? Just wondering if it lived up to the hype of "the future of cinema."

I heard reports on the radio on my commute this morning and the effects were actually making people sick.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby cardiac cats » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:01 pm

awesome..... the FX are simply the best I've ever seen. Some of the jungle scenes are just stunning to witness and the overall polish and realism of the FX is staggering... also, the culmination of the story(like the last 30 minutes) is just so freakin' cool my inner nerdness was ecstatic. Definitely a movie that needs to be experienced in the theater, in 3-d, in IMAX if possible( no IMAX for me but I can imagine)

A note: be prepared for a 3 hour movie with 3-d glasses on(if you go that route). It does feel weird and unnatural at times 8-o but I think it's worth it... and I didn't see anybody leave the theater sick
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Brüno - had a few funny moments but nowhere near as good as Borat
6/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:50 pm

cardiac cats wrote:Avatar in 3-d 9/10

awesome..... the FX are simply the best I've ever seen. Some of the jungle scenes are just stunning to witness and the overall polish and realism of the FX is staggering... also, the culmination of the story(like the last 30 minutes) is just so freakin' cool my inner nerdness was ecstatic. Definitely a movie that needs to be experienced in the theater, in 3-d, in IMAX if possible( no IMAX for me but I can imagine)

A note: be prepared for a 3 hour movie with 3-d glasses on(if you go that route). It does feel weird and unnatural at times 8-o but I think it's worth it... and I didn't see anybody leave the theater sick

I caught Avatar on IMAX and it was brilliant. The effects are done well, nothing too in-your-face, but nonetheless it's truly an escapist film. A visually beautiful film and I'll be seeing it at the IMAX a couple of times at least. 8.5/10.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk