What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:20 pm

Going to see Avatar tonight on the big screen. I hope it is good. Last time they let me choose I let them down. They have been choosing for the past couple of years so its my turn. }:-)
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:23 pm

treat24 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:Just read Avatar broke the one billion dollar mark after only 3 weeks in theaters. I know Titanic was around 1.8 billion but that might be difficult to catch. Either way it looks like Avatar will have second all-time wrapped up pretty easily.

it's because of the 3D and/or IMAX surcharge...i wish they'd measure movies by tickets sold and not dollar value too, because we all know movie ticket prices have been climbing like crazy

You are 100% correct, it's all that IMAX ticketing which in many places is twice as much. That 2 for 1 pricing makes sales numbers pretty easy to hit.

Unfortunately, they never really tracked that accurately and the population has over a million births more than deaths every 3 days right now. There is well over a billion more people out there today than there was a decade ago and getting to movies and nearness of theaters playing those movies is more convenient. There will never be a good measurement. I put no stock in these sales records for movies or music no matter what way they track it.

Sidenote Dan, I have another tv site I use daily. I PM'd you two of them awhile back, If I remember I'll get you that 3rd one.

Damn. I just threw away this week's ENTERTAINMENT magazine (it's got Jay Leno on the cover if you are interested). It calculates top-10 movies by $$ but adjusted for inflation. The #1 was actually Gone with the Wind or something. Titanic ended up being 6th or so. Avatar wasn't on it, yet.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:53 pm

joejlitz wrote:
treat24 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
it's because of the 3D and/or IMAX surcharge...i wish they'd measure movies by tickets sold and not dollar value too, because we all know movie ticket prices have been climbing like crazy

You are 100% correct, it's all that IMAX ticketing which in many places is twice as much. That 2 for 1 pricing makes sales numbers pretty easy to hit.

Unfortunately, they never really tracked that accurately and the population has over a million births more than deaths every 3 days right now. There is well over a billion more people out there today than there was a decade ago and getting to movies and nearness of theaters playing those movies is more convenient. There will never be a good measurement. I put no stock in these sales records for movies or music no matter what way they track it.

Sidenote Dan, I have another tv site I use daily. I PM'd you two of them awhile back, If I remember I'll get you that 3rd one.

Damn. I just threw away this week's ENTERTAINMENT magazine (it's got Jay Leno on the cover if you are interested). It calculates top-10 movies by $$ but adjusted for inflation. The #1 was actually Gone with the Wind or something. Titanic ended up being 6th or so. Avatar wasn't on it, yet.

I have to think ET would be pretty high on that list.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:36 pm

Metroid wrote:
joejlitz wrote:
treat24 wrote:

All Time Box Office Adjusted for Inflation

Avatar is currently at 26 according to this list.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Avatar was sweet. I give it a 10/10 for visuals and 9/10 on story because of the native American parallel.

My wife walked out saying it was one of the best movies she had ever seen. That is basically like a pick 6 for me. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:21 pm

Metroid wrote:
joejlitz wrote:
treat24 wrote:

Good call. I do remember that was 4th!
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:08 pm

Been watching a lot of movies on the weekends, so here's what I've seen recently.

Moon - Sci Fi movie about a guy who works for a company harvesting some weird compound on the moon. He's up there completely alone and starts figuring out weird stuff. I liked it a lot and would definitely recommend renting it. ;-D

Cloverfield - It was alright. The suspense was decent at some parts, and I spent a good part of the movie laughing at the idiot who was holding the camera, but overall I wasn't a huge fan.

The Hurt Locker - Seen it a couple times on DVD since seeing it in theaters over the summer. The suspense isn't anywhere near as gripping as in theaters, but it's still a fantastic movie, and I'd still call it one of my all-time favorites.

The Prestige - Seen it before but didn't quite follow everything that was going on. The second time through I thought it was very good. Christian Bale does a great job, and it has some very thought-provoking scenes (at least to me). Worth seeing if you haven't yet.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Metroid » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks for reminding me about Moon, I had been wanting to see it. I really like Sam Rockwell and it looks like a trip. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 am

Metroid wrote:Thanks for reminding me about Moon, I had been wanting to see it. I really like Sam Rockwell and it looks like a trip. ;-D

i kind of saw it...i kept falling asleep (not because it wasnt good but because i was tired) but i didnt really have time to rewatch it and i saw enough to get the gist of it. wife liked it and i'd say it's worth checking out
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:24 am

Food Inc documentary about the american food industry...i usually take documentary films with a grain of salt because they usually are pushing an agenda as well...this one seems to be more informative than inflamatory

anyway i expected to see the poor conditions in which factory farm animals are kept but it went on to explain why things are the way they are and it was interesting to see how deep the government/"big food" company ties go
8/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk