What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: What movies did you see today?

Postby Metroid » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:23 am

I went out Friday night and got a little tipsy, nothing pressing to study for since I had two big tests last week. Anyway I was hungover yesterday so I stayed on the couch and watched a few movies. :*)

Public Enemies: I really liked it. I've always been fascinated with the mobsters of that era, It's really strange how they became like movie stars. Anyway I loved how it was shot, some of the scenes were just fantastic. The use of light and color, with angles, and sound(or lack there of sometimes) was well thought out. [minor spoilers ahead] I really loved the shot in the opening scene after Dillinger busts his cronies out of prison, the one where one of the guys get shot in the back and Dillinger is holding his hand as the car pulls away and everything seems to go silent as the guy slowly slips away. Also when Baby Face is shot and you can see his last breath, good stuff there. It was a little slow at times but overall I was never bored and very entertained.

District 9: One of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while. Overall it was just bad, some of the CG was cool but the acting was just not good. Some of the scenes were just drug out way too long to the point it just got annoying. I felt little to no attachment to any of the characters, and I could have cared less who lived and who died. The "aliens" were were just silly, and they way it was shot was kinda dumb. That fake documentary style just did not work, it rarely does, but it really didn't work for this movie. It's unfortunate because it was a fresh idea for a film, but it was very poorly executed.

500 Days of Summer: Yeah yeah, it's pretty much a chick flick. If you want to watch movies like the two above with your girl you have to watch ones like this as well. Overall it was good though. It was kinda quirky and had enough comic relief to make me laugh. It really didn't end like I thought it would, not your typical "love story" ending. I will say the guy was a wussy and I wanted to smack him around most of the film. But again it was pretty good, if you have to watch a chick flick this isn't a bad one to watch.

Gonna watch Surrogates today. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:36 pm

Another weekend of movies (saw the first one a few weeks back and forgot to include it, but everything else I watched this weekend).

500 Days of Summer - This isn't an all-out chick flick. I've seen and hated those, but I enjoyed this movie (judge me if you want to, I don't care). It's a much more realistic commentary on love and relationships, and it's funny too. The soundtrack is awesome as well. Go into it with an open mind, because it's not like all the other chick flicks your wife/girlfriend makes you watch.

American Psycho - Movie starring Christian Bale as a rich serial killer. It's the best performance from Bale that I've seen for sure. It's one of those movies where you're laughing uncomfortably the entire time. I'm probably gonna have to watch it again to try to understand it a little better. Has quite a few "WTF" moments.

Platoon - Finally got around to seeing this. Awesome movie.

Life Aquatic - Very quirky with a lot of weird humor, but I guess that's Wes Anderson's style. Great cast that does a great job, especially Bill Murray and Willem Dafoe.

Michael Clayton - It gets better the more times you watch it. Great acting and a great plot, but it's definitely hard to follow the first time around. This was my second viewing and I still had to rewind a couple times. A little more contextual information would make this better, but other than that, an excellent movie.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:48 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Platoon - Finally got around to seeing this. Awesome movie.

Life Aquatic - Very quirky with a lot of weird humor, but I guess that's Wes Anderson's style. Great cast that does a great job, especially Bill Murray and Willem Dafoe.

You hadn't seen Platoon?? It is one of the greats. A place I used to work, this other dude and I used to comment on everything using quotes from Platoon. Great expressive way to show what we thought of our jobs.

That's how I would have described Life Aquatic as well. Quirky with weird humor. If Bill Murray is in something and it's not Caddyshack or Ghostbusters, I'm always left wanting more.

'you wore green so you could hide...'
'no job is too big... no fee is too big'
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:28 pm

i really need to get around to seeing Platoon
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:03 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i really need to get around to seeing Platoon

You have one month to see Platoon or it's friends over. :-C
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:39 am

Metroid wrote:Public Enemies: I really liked it. I've always been fascinated with the mobsters of that era, It's really strange how they became like movie stars. Anyway I loved how it was shot, some of the scenes were just fantastic. The use of light and color, with angles, and sound(or lack there of sometimes) was well thought out. [minor spoilers ahead] I really loved the shot in the opening scene after Dillinger busts his cronies out of prison, the one where one of the guys get shot in the back and Dillinger is holding his hand as the car pulls away and everything seems to go silent as the guy slowly slips away. Also when Baby Face is shot and you can see his last breath, good stuff there. It was a little slow at times but overall I was never bored and very entertained.

District 9: One of the worst movies I've seen in quite a while. Overall it was just bad, some of the CG was cool but the acting was just not good. Some of the scenes were just drug out way too long to the point it just got annoying. I felt little to no attachment to any of the characters, and I could have cared less who lived and who died. The "aliens" were were just silly, and they way it was shot was kinda dumb. That fake documentary style just did not work, it rarely does, but it really didn't work for this movie. It's unfortunate because it was a fresh idea for a film, but it was very poorly executed.

500 Days of Summer: Yeah yeah, it's pretty much a chick flick. If you want to watch movies like the two above with your girl you have to watch ones like this as well. Overall it was good though. It was kinda quirky and had enough comic relief to make me laugh. It really didn't end like I thought it would, not your typical "love story" ending. I will say the guy was a wussy and I wanted to smack him around most of the film. But again it was pretty good, if you have to watch a chick flick this isn't a bad one to watch.

Gonna watch Surrogates today. :-?

I liked Public Enemy alot. Very good move. District 9 was horrible. Totally agree there. I only made it through 15-20 minutes before turning it off. And 500 days of summer was pretty good. I laughed a bunch of times.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:42 am

steelerfan513 wrote:American Psycho - Movie starring Christian Bale as a rich serial killer. It's the best performance from Bale that I've seen for sure. It's one of those movies where you're laughing uncomfortably the entire time. I'm probably gonna have to watch it again to try to understand it a little better. Has quite a few "WTF" moments.

This movie is great. I always enjoy the business card part. Don't the cards all pretty much look the same?? He gets so pissed when the guy 1 ups him.

One of those movies that sucks you in every time.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:29 am

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i really need to get around to seeing Platoon

You have one month to see Platoon or it's friends over. :-C

i'll see what i can do...i think my buddy has it, i should be able to borrow it from him

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:American Psycho - Movie starring Christian Bale as a rich serial killer. It's the best performance from Bale that I've seen for sure. It's one of those movies where you're laughing uncomfortably the entire time. I'm probably gonna have to watch it again to try to understand it a little better. Has quite a few "WTF" moments.

This movie is great. I always enjoy the business card part. Don't the cards all pretty much look the same?? He gets so pissed when the guy 1 ups him.

One of those movies that sucks you in every time.

yeah everytime i'm in a meeting and business cards are exchanged i think about that :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:07 pm

watching me some platoon.

Welcome to the 'nam.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:07 am

Watched The Departed for the first time in a while last night. It's amazing how complicated that movie was; I was watching it for probably the 9th or 10th time and I was still noticing things I hadn't before. It's still one of my all-time favorite films, if not my absolute favorite.

Went to see Crazy Heart tonight. Not too much to dislike about that movie. Jeff Bridges and Maggie Gyllenhaal were both incredible, and seeing as they were pretty much the entire movie, there weren't many places to go wrong. Surprise appearances from Colin Ferrell and Robert Duvall, who both do well in their limited roles. The story wasn't anything highly original or groundbreaking, but it was still an enjoyable film. It's been compared a lot to The Wrestler, and while I can't draw the comparison because I haven't seen The Wrestler, it seems valid from what I know about both films.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk