What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:30 pm

i agree with you two...i thought a lot of those scenes were pretty disturbing. specifically the one where he was wearing that mask and they broke into that couples home. :-o
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nilmerf » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:37 pm

Canacuna wrote:
Nilmerf wrote:A Clockwork Orange: 7.5/10*
I've recently been trying to see all of the movies on the IMDB top 100 that I haven't already. Three of these have been Kubrick movies. I was greatly impressed by Dr. Strangelove, but was disappointed in Space Odyssey and now Clockwork. The violence and rape scenes were disturbing. It was a good movie, but doesn't deserve the masterpiece label it's been given by some. Maybe I didn't enjoy it as much because I'm more right-wing.. this movie probably appeals more to leftists.

*note: I'm probably much harsher on my rankings than most people have been.

I'd consider myself more leftist and I agree with your review completely - might have even given it a six if I were doing that sort of scale. I just couldn't get past some of those scenes, I 'spose. It's an interesting movie with an interesting message, but just not something I'd want to watch again.

I bring up the right/left point because of how the movie tries to get you to sympathize with Alex after what he did. It tries to blame society, and they try to bring him back into the world without violence, but then consider it cruel when he can't act on impulses. It just disturbs me, and I think he should have been locked up for good.

A movie on the opposite side of the spectrum would be Dirty Harry. Some leftists were outraged, calling this movie fascist because of the way Callahan took justice into his own hands.. and that "Scorpion's" rights were violated. I figure criminals are criminals, and he deserved torture when a girl's life was at stake.

Sorry for the tangent, but I thought it was interesting how these movies are perfect opposites.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby no1cowboysfan » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:37 pm

Well, I'm a moderate, for what that's worth, and I've been dissapointed with the Kubrik movies I've seen so far.

I was dissapointed immensely with Full Metal Jacket, but it was very hyped by my friends before I saw it. Maybe, for its time, the culture shock the movie had opened some eyes. But in today's time, there are plenty of better Vietnam movies out.

Eyes Wide Shut, I flipping hated. Good only for those who are desperate to see a bunch of nudity. If nudity is the basis in which you judge movies, watch it, you'll love it. If you judge movies on... oh, let's say... plot, character development and not wanting to beat yourself with a mallet, then this movie is not for you. What a piece of crap...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:43 pm

I've recently been trying to see all of the movies on the IMDB top 100 that I haven't already. Three of these have been Kubrick movies. I was greatly impressed by Dr. Strangelove, but was disappointed in Space Odyssey and now Clockwork. The violence and rape scenes were disturbing. It was a good movie, but doesn't deserve the masterpiece label it's been given by some. Maybe I didn't enjoy it as much because I'm more right-wing.. this movie probably appeals more to leftists.

I'm pretty right-wing too and I thought Clockwork Orange was a classic. The scenes were disturbing, they were supposed to be. I always felt like the first part of the movie set you up to hate Malcolm McDowell's character, while later you felt kind of sorry for him, and the conflicting emotions really made you think. The music was integrated into the movie very well, too, I thought.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Canacuna » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:45 pm

no1cowboysfan wrote:Well, I'm a moderate, for what that's worth, and I've been dissapointed with the Kubrik movies I've seen so far.

I don't know what to think of Kubrick. On one hand, he's made some movies that I like (Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove, The Shining) and others that I don't (Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut) - I thought the first half of Full Metal Jacket was pretty cool, kind of went downhill afterwards and haven't seen Space Odysee or some of his others. A lot of people consider him great, but I dunno...

Edited to Add: I also liked A.I. Artificial Intelligence. He didn't actually direct it, as he was dead... but he did plan it for a long time and also worked with the writers.
Last edited by Canacuna on Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Nilmerf » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:55 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:

I'm pretty right-wing too and I thought Clockwork Orange was a classic. The scenes were disturbing, they were supposed to be. I always felt like the first part of the movie set you up to hate Malcolm McDowell's character, while later you felt kind of sorry for him, and the conflicting emotions really made you think. The music was integrated into the movie very well, too, I thought.

Yes, I loved the choice of classical music as well. The sets and acting were good too. Like I said, it was a good movie but I just think Kubrick's reputation pushed it for more praise than it should have got.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby portisfan24 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:00 pm

I watched Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones last night. Seemed kind of like a wannabe action/suspense flick. The tense scenes werent as tense as most movies, and the storyline just wasnt very exciting. I dont regret watching it, but I wouldnt recommend it.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:19 am

well i watched caddyshack..and let me tell you....i loved it!!! super funny...a lot of classic things like the baby ruth in the pool. i can definitely see why it was ranked so highly. 8.5/10. ;-D ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:47 am

portisfan24 wrote:I watched Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones last night. Seemed kind of like a wannabe action/suspense flick. The tense scenes werent as tense as most movies, and the storyline just wasnt very exciting. I dont regret watching it, but I wouldnt recommend it.

As a former Geological Sciences major, that movie is a laugh riot. But, it's not nearly as horrible as Dante's Peak. :-t
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:27 am

Canacuna wrote:
no1cowboysfan wrote:Well, I'm a moderate, for what that's worth, and I've been dissapointed with the Kubrik movies I've seen so far.

I don't know what to think of Kubrick. On one hand, he's made some movies that I like (Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove, The Shining) and others that I don't (Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut) - I thought the first half of Full Metal Jacket was pretty cool, kind of went downhill afterwards and haven't seen Space Odysee or some of his others. A lot of people consider him great, but I dunno...

Edited to Add: I also liked A.I. Artificial Intelligence. He didn't actually direct it, as he was dead... but he did plan it for a long time and also worked with the writers.

well, I didn't know about alot of those 'Cuna...

I did like Spartacus and A.I... I didn't know he was connected to either. And you're right about FMJ... started solid, then fell apart faster than a late-season Vikings playoff run (granted they made it this year... ;-) ).

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk