What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:02 am

Goatwhacker wrote:Took Dude's and BrutallyHuge's advice and watched Batman Begins yesterday. Great movie, good action and acting, good direction and story. They could have done better than Katie Holmes though, the movie would have been better with a stronger actress in her role. Overall she wasn't too annoying.

Yeah, I don't really like Katie Holmes as an actress. She tries to be too cutesy and gives these puppy dog faces that don't make any sense in the scene.

I think they needed someone a little "harder." Gotham was pretty nasty...and I don't think Katie Holmes would've lasted there.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:09 pm

With Halloween right around the corner, you guys might be looking for a good scary flick to watch.
Take my recommendation and rent or buy HIGH TENSION.
I just saw it last week and it is one of the best horror movies of all time. It is the best horror flick since the first House of 1000 Corpses, which was very good.

High Tension is scary, suspenseful and maybe the goriest movie I have ever seen. There are two versions of the movie, Unrated and Rated R. I strongly suggest you to see the unrated version if you like blood, guts and gore. ;-D
I rate High Tension 9.5/10.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby awwchrist » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:10 pm

BrutallyHuge wrote:
Goatwhacker wrote:Took Dude's and BrutallyHuge's advice and watched Batman Begins yesterday. Great movie, good action and acting, good direction and story. They could have done better than Katie Holmes though, the movie would have been better with a stronger actress in her role. Overall she wasn't too annoying.

Yeah, I don't really like Katie Holmes as an actress. She tries to be too cutesy and gives these puppy dog faces that don't make any sense in the scene.

I think they needed someone a little "harder." Gotham was pretty nasty...and I don't think Katie Holmes would've lasted there.

harder and nasty?

like Courtney Love hard n nasty?

:-P
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:12 pm

awwchrist wrote:harder and nasty?

like Courtney Love hard n nasty?

:-P

Nah...but someone who looks like they could've survived Gotham.

I know they wanted someone with a little naivete, but how in the world did Katie survive when Batman was not in town?
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:30 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:
IRON CHEF wrote:And lastly I watched Sin City, which I have aniticipated for a very long time. With all its hype I was expecting a lot and the movie delivered.

If the only standard by which you judge a movie is the amount of blood they can pack into it, then Sin City was awesome.... Otherwise, it was just barely watchable.....

wow, really suprised this movie is getting dogged. this has to be one of the best movies i have ever seen. i'm not just talking about the story, but the actual film-making itself. it's basically a comic book brought to life, not just some adaptation like spiderman. i actually feel as if i'm turning the pages in a comic with each scene.

sure it's quite graphic, but i dig that sort of thing, and there's some hotties dressed all scantilly too

Mickey Rourke is great in it as well
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Dude » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:35 pm

Plindsey88 wrote:Playing a drunk is not terribly dissimilar from playing a bumbling idiot....

White Russian, anyone?

Hey man, Jeff Bridges should've been nominated... well, not really, but I consider John Goodman not even being considered for best supporting actor a serious snub.

You are entering a world of pain.

I also like another one of Nic Cage's performances... in Face Off... love the Caster Troy character.

goatwhacker wrote:Took Dude's and BrutallyHuge's advice and watched Batman Begins yesterday. Great movie, good action and acting, good direction and story. They could have done better than Katie Holmes though, the movie would have been better with a stronger actress in her role. Overall she wasn't too annoying.

Most of the Batman movies go overboard on the dark, brooding sets and this one was no exception, by the end of the movie I was ready for the sun to come out. I know this was the mood they were trying to set, it just got a bit tiresome. If only they could have got Nicolas Cage to play the role of Batman, now THERE would have been a movie .

In general a really good movie, I'd give it 8/10.

Glad you liked it... I just watched it again this weekend too. I like the way that they detailed how Batman got all his toys. Like, how do you order a Batmobile or Batwing without someone knowing.

By the way, I had no freakin' idea that Gary Oldman played Commissioner Gordon (well Lt. Gordon in this movie)... that dude can play anything.

Oh, and another movie to report on... rented Layer Cake this weekend... as a stand alone film, it was pretty good (maybe a 7.5 or 8 out of 10). Lots of violence, good pacing, hard to tell what fark was going on. But, given that this was by the producer of Lock Stock and Snatch, it felt like he made a bad ripoff of a Guy Ritchie film (the director of the other two movies who has since been pussified by his marriage to Madonna). If you've never seen any of these movies, I recommend seeing Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch before or instead of this film.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:44 pm

The_Dude wrote:
Plindsey88 wrote:Playing a drunk is not terribly dissimilar from playing a bumbling idiot....

White Russian, anyone?

Hey man, Jeff Bridges should've been nominated... well, not really, but I consider John Goodman not even being considered for best supporting actor a serious snub.

You are entering a world of pain.

I also like another one of Nic Cage's performances... in Face Off... love the Caster Troy character.

goatwhacker wrote:Took Dude's and BrutallyHuge's advice and watched Batman Begins yesterday. Great movie, good action and acting, good direction and story. They could have done better than Katie Holmes though, the movie would have been better with a stronger actress in her role. Overall she wasn't too annoying.

Most of the Batman movies go overboard on the dark, brooding sets and this one was no exception, by the end of the movie I was ready for the sun to come out. I know this was the mood they were trying to set, it just got a bit tiresome. If only they could have got Nicolas Cage to play the role of Batman, now THERE would have been a movie .

In general a really good movie, I'd give it 8/10.

Glad you liked it... I just watched it again this weekend too. I like the way that they detailed how Batman got all his toys. Like, how do you order a Batmobile or Batwing without someone knowing.

By the way, I had no freakin' idea that Gary Oldman played Commissioner Gordon (well Lt. Gordon in this movie)... that dude can play anything.

Oh, and another movie to report on... rented Layer Cake this weekend... as a stand alone film, it was pretty good (maybe a 7.5 or 8 out of 10). Lots of violence, good pacing, hard to tell what fark was going on. But, given that this was by the producer of Lock Stock and Snatch, it felt like he made a bad ripoff of a Guy Ritchie film (the director of the other two movies who has since been pussified by his marriage to Madonna). If you've never seen any of these movies, I recommend seeing Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch before or instead of this film.

i know Layer Cake was based off a book, so i'm not sure how much of a rip-off it is. all 3 are great. Lock Stock and Snatch are more comical, whereas Cake was more serious (i was kind of suprised by this).
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Dude » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:44 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
wow, really suprised this movie is getting dogged. this has to be one of the best movies i have ever seen. i'm not just talking about the story, but the actual film-making itself. it's basically a comic book brought to life, not just some adaptation like spiderman. i actually feel as if i'm turning the pages in a comic with each scene.

sure it's quite graphic, but i dig that sort of thing, and there's some hotties dressed all scantilly too

Mickey Rourke is great in it as well

I kind of agree with you... not one of the best movies I've ever seen, but certainly to be respected purely from an artistic standpoint. One of my friends showed me some clips of the film compared to the graphic novel and they were AMAZINGLY true to the comic art in the scenes, shadows, and overall feel.

Mickey Rourke was great and Frodo was creepy as all hell.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby J2thez929 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:44 pm

I rented White Noise last nite and watched it with my girl. She was scared s***less and some parts of the movie did get under my skin and I was intrigued thoughout the movie. However, I'm not gonna give away any spoilers but the ending was a major disappointment to me. They could have made that movie so much better. Unfortunately, the ending dropped the ball, IMO.

My take: Worth a rental with the girl/wife or if you are into EVP, spirits, and/or contacting the dead ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CC » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:24 pm

Watched Equilibrium over the weekend with a few friends.
The concept was kind of cool (very Big Brother) and Christian Bale was pretty solid, but the movie overall was lacking something.

7/10
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk