What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Canacuna » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:08 pm

I watched Employee of the Month last night. It's got Matt Dillon, Steve Zahn, Christina Applegate, Dave Foley... I dug it.
'CUNA-MANIA IS RUNNING WILD!
"You will be a king here, instead of a peasant at the Cafe."
Canacuna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby cardiac cats » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:54 pm

eh, I'll update some of mine.

Assault on Precinct 13- solid action flick, enough said. Ethan Hawke gives a good performance as well as fishbourne... It even has a couple hotties in it. Overall 8/10
White Noise- the actual E.V.P. element is kinda freaky, but the movie as a whole just sucked. It made almost no sense, 4.5/10
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:07 pm

first off i have to say Fear and Loathing is one of my all time faves, but i can see how it wouldnt be some peoples cup of tea. the trashing of the hotel room is pricesless, as well as what Benecio Del Toro writes on Ellen Barkins napkin

here's what i've seen recently

Devils Rejects Rob Zombies 2nd movie. pretty good flick if you like the genre (gory, crazy killers). i liked House of 1000 Corpses better, but it was a bit over the top. this one is much more believable and the actors give a convincing performance as a psycotic family.

rating: 7 out of 10

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory i'm 26 and never saw the origonal, but i wasnt all that impressed with this one. the effects were well done, but the grandpa and Charile really annoyed me and i wanted them to die

6 out of 10

Havoc story of a bored rich girl in LA who falls for a gang member. starts Anne Hathaway of Disney's Princess Diary fame. story gets a 5 out of 10, but my main motivation for renting is that Anne gets topless. those scenes get a 10/10 and i must say she has one of the best racks of any young starlet in Hollywood. right up there with Katie Holmes performance in The Gift and Reese Witherspoon in Twilight. to quote a fave Siendfeld "they're real, and they're spetacular"

March of the Penguins story about what Penguins go through to propogate the species. from other reviews i've heard, i was expecting more, but it was still pretty fascinating. i never knew how hard Penguins had it (seriously).

7/10 (but you have to like nature shows)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WickedSmaat » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:14 pm

Fever Pitch- I'm sure everyone knows about this movie but maybe not everyone saw it. Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon in a Red Sox movie. I liked the movie and I would think it's probably a good date movie if you'd wanna rent something. Don't know how many around here would like it cause it's about baseball ;) :-b Good flick 7/10
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby josebach » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:15 pm

Saw
Cinderella Man - Good, not great. It was almost exactly as I expected it would be. The boxing scenes in it were just mediocre. Definitely worth watching, although don't expect anything you haven't already seen in countless other sports movies.

Overall: 7.5 out of 10

Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - Good, not great.
I loved the books growing up, but couldn't really get into the movie. It seemed like there wasn't enough character development especially for Aslan (the lion). I seemed to be a lot more connected to the characters when I was reading the books. Then again, that was almost 20 years ago. Two things to me really made the movie worth watching:
1) The little girl who played Lucie. She stole the show. We're definitely going to be seeing more of her in the future.
2) It was a beautiful movie and the special effects were top notch. Some of the best I've seen. It's really getting to the point where it's difficult to tell the difference between what's real and what's CGI. Kudos to the effects company.

Overall: 8.0 out of 10
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby The_Captain » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:22 pm

Watched Van Helsing this weekend.

Wasn't bad, good special effects and Kate Beckinsale.

6.5/10

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:26 pm

The_Captain wrote:Watched Van Helsing this weekend.

Wasn't bad, good special effects and Kate Beckinsale.

6.5/10

your right, it wasnt bad, it was downright awful. there were only 2 good things about that movie and they were on Kate Beckinsales chest.

i hate when movies take some A-list actors and toss in some poor special effects with no story.

3/10
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

dsa

Postby sPoRtZsTuD2318 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:29 pm

I saw Child's Play 1 and 3 last night..

They were alright, :-°

5/10

"I got this [b]killa[/b] up inside of me
I can't talk to my mother so I talk to my diary"
sPoRtZsTuD2318
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:13 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Havoc story of a bored rich girl in LA who falls for a gang member. starts Anne Hathaway of Disney's Princess Diary fame. story gets a 5 out of 10, but my main motivation for renting is that Anne gets topless. those scenes get a 10/10 and i must say she has one of the best racks of any young starlet in Hollywood. right up there with Katie Holmes performance in The Gift and Reese Witherspoon in Twilight. to quote a fave Siendfeld "they're real, and they're spetacular"

That girl is so hot.

I don't know if I can waste a rental though for only a few seconds of bub.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:57 pm

josebach wrote:Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe - Good, not great.
I loved the books growing up, but couldn't really get into the movie. It seemed like there wasn't enough character development especially for Aslan (the lion). I seemed to be a lot more connected to the characters when I was reading the books. Then again, that was almost 20 years ago. Two things to me really made the movie worth watching:
1) The little girl who played Lucie. She stole the show. We're definitely going to be seeing more of her in the future.
2) It was a beautiful movie and the special effects were top notch. Some of the best I've seen. It's really getting to the point where it's difficult to tell the difference between what's real and what's CGI. Kudos to the effects company.

Overall: 8.0 out of 10

I saw this yesterday, and I pretty much agree with your take as well. The character development was kinda weak - especially with Aslan as you already said. And you are 100% correct about the little girl who played Lucy - there was just something about her that steals every scene she's in. I just hope they make Prince Caspian and the Voyage of the Dawn Treader with her in it as well. I also thought the White Witch was played pretty well too - strong performance. Solid movie all around, and it kept pretty much close to the book (except for the wolves reaching the beavers hut while they were still in it - that never happened in the book).

This is definitely one of those movies you need to see on the big screen because of the special effects - some of those characters were just amazing to look at.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk