What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby DUKE » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:11 pm

Saw Maria Full Of Grace. It was a good film, but it was hyped a lot to me, and sometimes that can take some luster out of a movie. It was still pretty good, but I was expecting a bit more. - 7-10.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J2thez929 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:10 am

I just finished watching The Exorism of Emily Rose. I'll start with saying that this isn't your typical hollywood scary movie. In fact it wasn't too scary at all. It's actually disturbing and thought provoking more than anything. As a believer in God/Devil/spirits, it really was interesting and kept my full attention.

Bottom line - Not really a horror/slasher/scary movie but it does get under your skin, makes you think about spirits, and gets you a little nervous about 3:00am. Those of you who have seen the movie will know what i'm talking about :-o
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Alkaholik » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:11 pm

Last night watched Hoop Dreams

It's a movie that came out in 1994, a documentary.

I had never seen this before, all i heard was how good it was and that it was a top 300 all-time movie.

It is about 2 kids trying to become basketball stars, or make it NBA if you may and this video takes you through their lives from age 12 until they graduate high school and the struggles they have in their ghettos.

Since it was hyped up so much it was hard to meet my expectations but was a very compelling movie.

Alka-Meter:
1 2 3 4 5 6.5 out of 10

Click here to read more http://imdb.com/title/tt0110057
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)

Postby josebach » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:43 pm

J2thez929 wrote:I just finished watching The Exorism of Emily Rose. I'll start with saying that this isn't your typical hollywood scary movie. In fact it wasn't too scary at all. It's actually disturbing and thought provoking more than anything. As a believer in God/Devil/spirits, it really was interesting and kept my full attention.

Bottom line - Not really a horror/slasher/scary movie but it does get under your skin, makes you think about spirits, and gets you a little nervous about 3:00am. Those of you who have seen the movie will know what i'm talking about :-o

I saw it and thought it was pretty much a joke. The Exorcism of Emily Rose is actually based on the real life "possession" of a German girl named Anneliese Michel in the 1970's. I researcehd the girl and the real life story was a lot more interesting than the hollywood depiction of it. Anneliese had the misfortune of being born into an extremely regligious family which completely disregarded her real affliction. She was an epilectic that suffered grand mal seizures. Not only was the priest put on trial, but so were her parents. They were all convicted, and rightfully so. Their religious fanaticism cost Anneliese her life. 5/10

I recently saw "Munich". Another film that was based "loosely" on a true story.

Where the hostage crisis and outcome was obviously real, the methodolgy of the assassinations that followed as described in the movie was entirely inaccurate. It was still a very compelling movie and very well shot. There was also a lot more action in it than I thought there would be. It was three hours long, so be prepared, but overall, I highly recommend it. 8.5/10.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby dave416 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:17 pm

Saw Saw II this week.

Meh. I thought the first one was better.

5.5/10
Thanks to Guttpuppy for the sig!
dave416
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Writer
Location: In Philadelphia wishing the Bengals were in the NFC

Postby josebach » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:27 am

I just watched "Into the Blue" last night. It started out pretty good, but after a while, Paul Walker's character kept making really stupid decisions. This was kind or irritating. On the positive side, watching Jessica Alba swim around in a bikini for half the movie definitely made the movie worth watching. A couple times I almost said "Damn!" while sitting right next to my wife. :-b Jessica Alba looked GOOD!!!
Overall. 7/10

I saw "Gramdma's Boy" on Saturday. It was alright. Really nothing new or original here. The movie was based around the computer game industry, so that was kind of interesting, but overall, it was pretty silly. I think I laughed out loud once or twice the entire movie.
Overall. 6.5/10

I saw "Hostel" on Saturday. (Saw a double feature while my wife was studying. ;-D) Good, not great. It wasn't quite as violent or shocking as everybody said it was. Lots of T&A, so that was a pleasant suprise.. The premise of the movie was definitely scary and thought provoking. The main character (Jay Hernandez) also did a good job.
Overall. 7.5/10
Last edited by josebach on Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby BrutallyHuge » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:28 am

josebach wrote:I just watched "Into the Blue" last night. It started out pretty good, but after a while, Paul Walker's character kept making really stupid decisions. This was kind or irritating. On the positive side, watching Jessica Alba swim around in a bikini for half the movie definitely make the movie worth watching. A couple times I almost said "Damn!" while sitting right next to my wife. :-b Jessica Alba looked GOOD!!!

Overall. 7/10

I watched this too. Paul Walker could be the worst actor I've ever seen.

Jessica Alba is really really hot. Only problem was that her character was a little bit too much of a goody-goody.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WickedSmaat » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:32 am

Paul Walker sucks, he even did in FATF...
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby Homeless » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:34 am

josebach wrote: On the positive side, watching Jessica Alba swim around in a bikini for half the movie definitely made the movie worth watching. A couple times I almost said "Damn!" while sitting right next to my wife. :-b Jessica Alba looked GOOD!!!

LMAO ;-D
Homeless
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I could be anywhere! and so could my SILK scarf! M&M's anyone ?

Postby knapplc » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:34 pm

We just saw The Chronicles of Narnia the other night. It was pretty good. The CG animals weren't too bad. I kept thinking that Jadis was kind of hot, in a dominatrix sort of way. The story was good, but I remember being affected by Aslan's death much more while reading the book. It wasn't so dramatic on screen for some reason. 6.5/10
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk