What movies did you see today? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

What movies did you see today?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Alkaholik » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:03 pm

Watched Waiting... Image

It was somewhat of a guy movie, a lot of things were in this movie that I could see women would hate or make you turn it off, so beware if you are watching this with your sensitive GF. A lot of sexual and male genital jokes and images.

It was a funny movie though, it was like Van Wilder, but a lil bit short from it and maybe a few extra lude things, but was a funny movie.

Alka-Meter:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 out of 10

Also saw Jarhead last night.... Image

After a lot of people bashed it saying that it wasn’t great because there wasn’t much action and a lot of waiting, it actually made the movie better for me since my expectations had been lowered.

Some of my favorite films are war films(Apocalypse now, Deer Hunter, Full Metal Jacket, Hamburger Hill) I did like this, it was a much different type of War movie, not all about killing and shooting, but more of a war inside the soldier, what they go through, how they cope with GF's and Wives back home and how they survive everyday life.

Alka-Meter:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 out of 10

8 since I love war movies and since it was down-played by my peers so much, it left much room to beat my low expectations.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:07 pm

Sixxgunn wrote:
knapplc wrote:We just saw The Chronicles of Narnia the other night. It was pretty good. The CG animals weren't too bad. I kept thinking that Jadis was kind of hot, in a dominatrix sort of way. The story was good, but I remember being affected by Aslan's death much more while reading the book. It wasn't so dramatic on screen for some reason. 6.5/10

Do you think the death scene may have affected you more when you read it ( or had it read to you) because you were so young the first time? At least that's my story. I was so young that I barely remember the story, so I figure it may be the same for you.

That could be. I also have a very vivid imagination, and when I read I "see" the story in much different (IMO better) ways than what I see when a book I've read comes to film. It was a much more powerful scene in the book, I thought.

But it wasn't bad, all the same.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:09 pm

knapplc wrote:
Sixxgunn wrote:
knapplc wrote:We just saw The Chronicles of Narnia the other night. It was pretty good. The CG animals weren't too bad. I kept thinking that Jadis was kind of hot, in a dominatrix sort of way. The story was good, but I remember being affected by Aslan's death much more while reading the book. It wasn't so dramatic on screen for some reason. 6.5/10

Do you think the death scene may have affected you more when you read it ( or had it read to you) because you were so young the first time? At least that's my story. I was so young that I barely remember the story, so I figure it may be the same for you.

That could be. I also have a very vivid imagination, and when I read I "see" the story in much different (IMO better) ways than what I see when a book I've read comes to film. It was a much more powerful scene in the book, I thought.

But it wasn't bad, all the same.

Actually, I think the difference was that in the book, Aslan had a LOT more character development. In the movie, he had about 5 minutes total screen time before they killed him. This wasn't nearly enough time to develop an attachment to the character like there was in the book. Those are my thoughts anyway.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby The_Dude » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:25 pm

I saw Star Wars: Clone Wars (the cartoon series). I know, they were just shorts for the Cartoon Network, but between both sets of the series, you have basically, a two hour film. Since these cartoons are far better than Episode I and much of Ep II, I think I'll just pretend that I doesn't exist, II is I, and the cartoons are II.

Great stuff... a must see for any star wars afficianados, particularly those who (like me) were disappointed by the fact that they didn't actually show much of the much ballyhooed Clone Wars.

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

Postby moonhead » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:30 pm

The_Dude wrote:I saw Star Wars: Clone Wars (the cartoon series). I know, they were just shorts for the Cartoon Network, but between both sets of the series, you have basically, a two hour film. Since these cartoons are far better than Episode I and much of Ep II, I think I'll just pretend that I doesn't exist, II is I, and the cartoons are II.

Great stuff... a must see for any star wars afficianados, particularly those who (like me) were disappointed by the fact that they didn't actually show much of the much ballyhooed Clone Wars.

Yeah, I purchased that DVD off ebay for like 5 bucks a few months back. It is pretty cool stuff. Made by the dude that does Dexter's Laboratory and PowerPuff Girls. I like the animation and some of the action is pretty sweet. Mace Windu is a force to be reckoned with in his scene.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:35 pm

moonhead wrote:
The_Dude wrote:I saw Star Wars: Clone Wars (the cartoon series). I know, they were just shorts for the Cartoon Network, but between both sets of the series, you have basically, a two hour film. Since these cartoons are far better than Episode I and much of Ep II, I think I'll just pretend that I doesn't exist, II is I, and the cartoons are II.

Yeah, I purchased that DVD off ebay for like 5 bucks a few months back. It is pretty cool stuff. Made by the dude that does Dexter's Laboratory and PowerPuff Girls. I like the animation and some of the action is pretty sweet. Mace Windu is a force to be reckoned with in his scene.

Is that stuff sanctioned by LFL, so it's considered "canon?" I try to stick to what Lucas has given the green light to - foolishly I know, since he pretty much ruined his own story with these three most recent films, but it's something I try to do out of respect for the first three.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:39 pm

knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:

Is that stuff sanctioned by LFL, so it's considered "canon?" I try to stick to what Lucas has given the green light to - foolishly I know, since he pretty much ruined his own story with these three most recent films, but it's something I try to do out of respect for the first three.

yeah it's sanctioned by lucas films. lucas gives interviews on the extras and what not. i'm not entirely sure that it is considered canon, however. there is some goofy stuff that goes on.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby VaderFin » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:41 pm

knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:

Fully endorsed by Lucas. It shows how the Emperor was kidnapped by Grievous. Shows how bad ass a jedi really is.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:42 pm

VaderFin wrote:
knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:

Fully endorsed by Lucas. It shows how the Emperor was kidnapped by Grievous. Shows how bad ass a jedi really is.

i haven't seen volume 2...so there is some stuff i haven't seen. but there is a really cool sequence between padawan anakin and an apprentice girl of dooku's. she weilds dual sabres. and gives him the scar over his eye that you see and don't get a backstory on in ep. III.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The_Dude » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:46 pm

moonhead wrote:
VaderFin wrote:
knapplc wrote:
moonhead wrote:

i haven't seen volume 2...so there is some stuff i haven't seen. but there is a really cool sequence between padawan anakin and an apprentice girl of dooku's. she weilds dual sabres. and gives him the scar over his eye that you see and don't get a backstory on in ep. III.

Vol II is pretty good... Vol I is more like non-stop action sequences, while VolII actually does a full one-hour setup of Episode III, including the promotion of Annakin to Jedi, and the unorthodox Jedi trials that he goes through. Great scene of Mace and Yoda whooping ass together too...

I am the Walrus
The_Dude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)
Location: My ivory tower, where I oversee the intellectual development of America's youth

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk