Moss Trade Looks Done - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Moss Trade Looks Done

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:24 pm

Just shoot me and put me out of my misery. Just when I think being a Viking fan can't get any worse they do this. Let me see this is the same Viking team that thought a good but not great running back (Herschel Walker) was worth trading three starters and 5 draft picks (including two #1's) for, now thinks that trading perhaps the greatest WR in history is only worth a decent LB and a first round pick. This is absurd. Al Davis and all Raider fans should be delirious with joy. You think you had a bad running game last year, well just watch it improve times two next year because no more safeties crowding the box. You though Porter was good last year, well just watch him this year as he faces only single coverage because Randy is drawing double and triple teams. Vikings fans can tell you unlike any player in the NFL, Randy changes how defenses play against Randy Moss teams (Madden and Dungy have both stated this).

Well I for one have never been a Raider fan, but I personally hope that Randy and the Raiders have one incredible year and win it all. I hope that when that happens it is because Randy carries them. I hope that Randy once and for all silences all of his critics. Randy, more power to ya!! I'm going to miss you. And btw, Randy, thanks for the mooning in Green Bay. You finally gave back to the Packer fans what they deserve, and what every true Viking fan has always wanted to do if they could!
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby IRON CHEF » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:48 pm

Pretty big surprise here, I didn't expect the rumors to have any truth to them, especially with most signs pointing to Moss staying in Minny. Its hard to decipher the deal at this point, the moves that the Raiders and Vikings make this offseason will determine the winner of the deal.

Out of the prosperous Minnesota offense, Moss takes a downgrade, but a very slight one mind you. The guy is a stud, the most talented receiver in the game, he'll find a way to get his stats.

Porter is a question mark at this point, but I don't think his value should change much at all. The fact that he'll have to compete for looks should be negated by the fact that Randy will draw double coverages leaving him to prosper.

Ronald Curry, who I was considering as a sleeper this year, takes a big downgrade in value now. I don't see him getting much playing time with a big-time guy like Moss in town.

Kerry Collins isn't the most reliable QB, but you can't deny the boost he'll get from a deep threat like Moss. If the Raiders offense can begin to click this year, then I expect Collins to be a very effective fantasy starter.

All Oakland RBs get an upgrade in value, with a sturdy passing game and the possibility of an explosive offense, there should be plenty of room for whoever takes the spot to produce.

I'm a happy Nate Burleson owner now, the guy has a lot of talent, and with Moss gone he should shine is the offense which should still be effective.

I actually don't see Marcus Robinson getting much of an increase here, the guy was inconsistent at best, and while he'll get his feast days, he can't be relied on. His role shouldn't change a whole lot in the absence of Moss.

Kelly Campbell could emerge as the biggest sleeper of all out of this blockbuster trade. Without Moss, Campbell may fill the Minnesota's offense need for a deep threat. If he develops a connection with C-Pepp for the deep ball he may be interesting to watch to say the least.

Culpepper obviously gets a downgrade here, but not as much so as others may think. As I previously mentioned, I still see the offense being an effective force.

Minnesota's RBs value should stay about the same. Losing Moss will take away a huge passing threat, but it may lead to more reliance on the ground game.

...some know me as pomplona's finest...
IRON CHEF
General Manager
General Manager

hmm

Postby mystykoekaki » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:48 pm

Hmmm.....what kind of defense does it take to guard this Oakland offense now? This could mean trouble for some defenses, thanks for the memories Randy.

Hmmm....can you say Vikings jersey's on EBAY!!!!!!
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bennett4prez » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:51 pm

Randy Moss is an amazing athlete.
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Gunslinger » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:58 pm

I'm wondering (as many of you have in this thread already) who Norv has his eye on for RB. He must have a plan. This rookie RB class is very deep so I wouldn't count out a 2nd - 4th round RB pick. And as mentioned, there are also a lot of good FA's, too. At least it's something interesting to distract me while I wait for the draft.

Bad news for my Broncos, though.
Gunslinger
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby me_irate » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:02 pm

OK, here is how I see it.

Moss, Upgrade. I don't see what people are thinking by saying downgrade. DC was a dink and dunk passer, his long passes were not good for moss. For example, he didn't float them well enough to take advantage of moss's jumping ability.

People forget that moss did better with other QBs than he ever did with DC. He was averaging about 2+ TDs a game the year before last when Gus was passing to him. When DC came back, his production dropped significantly.

Moss will have a career year next year assuming he stays healthy.

I see the biggest upside in this trade going to Collins. Just as moss has made Jeff George, DC, Gus, Brad Johnson, and Randall Cunningham look like pro bowlers, he will do the same for Collins. I actually think Collins might be the best QB for moss out of the bunch. While I think DC is good, he isn't the "right" kind of QB to take full advantage of moss.

Another big jump will be the Raiders running backs. Moss, by keeping 8 out of the box opens up running games tremendously. Just compare at how well the viking running backs did when he was healthy this past year, and how well they played when he was not. They were a number one running team with him most of his career, but without him, the production drops significantly. Expect more of the same.

Now for the Vikings.

DC takes a slight hit. It might be more, but I think the Vikes will get a solid WR to replace moss. Either by drafting one, or picking up one in free agency. His passing has always been about short passes. While this will take a hit as he won't have moss spreading the defenses, I still think he will manage. That said, I think there is an outside possibility he falls apart and will finish the season on the bench.

Burlesson will be an upgrade. No matter who the vikes pick up, they won't get the number of throws randy got. As such, Burlesson will see more balls his way.

The biggest hit will be to the Vikes running game. They have always been one or two in the league in running since moss has joined the league. Without him spreading the defenses, I see them falling a long ways. That said, for FF this will have a small impact as the running game has been RBBC for the last few years.
me_irate
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:44 am

Yarg! My internet is down for a DAY, and this happens? WHAT THE HELL...

Oh well... all I can say is... Booyah! I did call it... thank you... thank you very much.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby treat24 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:37 am

my take:

oakland snuck into minnesota in the middle of the night... put three flaming bags of crap (harris, 1st rd pick, later pick) on our door step... and we paid them (moss) to do it...

congrats vikes... it's been awhile since herschel walker but you managed to prove 15 years later that your committment to losing is still intact!
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby converge241 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:51 am

hey doesnt egomaniac jerry porter wear 84?
Black and Gold through and through
The Six Time Super Bowl CHAMPIONS
converge241
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bennett4prez » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:16 pm

Alright, I just needed to wait to post until a time when I had ample time to respond.

First of all, this trade worked out for both teams.

Oakland is a franchise built around big name players. Name recognition is their game. Collins, Moss, Sapp, Woodson, the list goes on. The Moss trade may not help the Raiders in the long run, but he will defintely increase revenue for the Raiders filling up the Colliseum and selling more jerseys.

Minnesota, with this trade, is looking a lot better than a lot of teams are giving them credit for. Yes, Moss's presense is irreplacable right now. However, the Vikings, with the trade, successfully converted their defense into a 3-4. Look for the Vikings to draft Derrick Johnson and sign Samari Rolle and Mushi Muhammed. Look at the Vikings offense after these acquisitions.

QB: Culpper
RB: Bennett/Onterrio
WR1: Mushi
WR2: Burleson
WR3: MRob
WR4/ST: K. Campbell
TE1: Kleinsasser
TE2: Wiggins
OT: Rosenthal
OT: McKinnie
OG: Liewinski
OG: UNDECIDED
C: Birk

DE: Mixon/Johnstone
DE: Udeze
DT: Williams
OLB: Newman/Thomas
OLB: Claiborne
ILB: Harris
ILB: Henderson
CB: Rolle
CB: Winfield
SS: Chavous
FS: Russell

That's a pretty nice team if I do say so myself. The key for the Vikings is making the jump to sign Mush or Mason. Rolle would be nice, but not needed. The #18 draft pick, while I would like to go for a guard (never been a Dorsey fan), there is no talent there. So, the Vikings could pass on Rolle and go CB (Pacman? Rogers?) or add LB help (Chowder) or DL (Spears) if something falls.

Overall Reaction From The Trade: Eh, at least it's not Bennett ;-D
[url=http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106] Check Us Out! A New Debate Daily![/url]

TICE FIRED!
Bennett4prez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberWeb SupporterSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk