Rhodes: Edge's Backup? Yeah, but he's paid nicely... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rhodes: Edge's Backup? Yeah, but he's paid nicely...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rhodes: Edge's Backup? Yeah, but he's paid nicely...

Postby no1cowboysfan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:30 am

Fanball wrote:Colts: Rhodes signs two-year deal
The News
The Colts signed running back Dominic Rhodes to a two-year contract on Tuesday. The Indianapolis Star reports that the deal is worth $4.75 million and includes a $2 million signing bonus. "Dominic is thrilled to be back with this organization," Rhodes' agent Mike McCartney told the Star. Rhodes will once again serve as the backup for Edgerrin James.
Our View
Rhodes passed up the chance to become a free agent on March 2. This could prove to be a big signing for the Colts, as James might hold out during training camp in protest of being named the team's franchise player. Even if James signs the tender he's been offered, there is no guarantee that he'll still be with the team next year.

Nice little backup salary... I know its not huge news, but still. Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about, but 2.375 million a year (plus one million signing a year) for a backup? Maybe if they trade away Edge, I see this move making perfect sense. But to hand over 7 million (roughly) to a backup with the way they spend money? Have the Colts completely forgotten about defense?

One of these days, I imagine the GM of Indy waking up in a cold sweat, and saying "Oh crap! The defense!" :-o

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rhodes: Edge's Backup? Yeah, but he's paid nicely...

Postby RayVins » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:18 am

no1cowboysfan wrote:One of these days, I imagine the GM of Indy waking up in a cold sweat, and saying "Oh crap! The defense!" :-o

either that... or develop a severe bed-wetting problem. my guess is...both.
"You guys have no clue how crazy hyper and dru nk (filter) I can be AT THE SAME TIME."
-mtryanks12
RayVins
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:14 am

This contract is easy to take and blow out of proportion considering they appear to be ignoring D. Fact is, the situation with Edge is still questionable and even if normal, this year they used Rhodes a lot to spell Edge earlier in the year so he'd be fresh for the stretch run. Also, it leaves Rhodes as an option for the future as they will likely part with Edge eventually. Contract-wise, it's not a big deal. Take $2 mil out for signing bonus and it's $1.4 mil per for 2 years. High but not the highest around. All that said, I expect the Colts to make noise in FA on the other side of the ball quickly so their fans (and us) won't continue to jump all over them.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby black_hawk8888 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:17 am

I'd take 2.5 mil every year to sit and watch Edge wreck people
Major props to the sig master. Deluxe is da man!
black_hawk8888
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Location: Still staring in horror as Palmer's knee buckles on the 2nd snap of the game...

Postby maddog60 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:14 pm

I think the Colts have realized at this point the only way they'll field a any with any respectiability this decade will be if they can lobby for a lift of the ban on cloning, then convince/cojole/drug Freeney so they can clone about a dozen more of (hey you gotta have backups in case of injury), and claim since they're all Dwight Freeney they all fall under that one contract.

Even more disturbing than my non-sensical musing is this idea. Image that were possible for a second. Could you then imagine the horror for any QB, especially one like Losman who may not have protection from his O-line looking at a front four consisting entirely of Dwight Freeneys?
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:43 pm

maddog60 wrote:I think the Colts have realized at this point the only way they'll field a any with any respectiability this decade will be if they can lobby for a lift of the ban on cloning, then convince/cojole/drug Freeney so they can clone about a dozen more of (hey you gotta have backups in case of injury), and claim since they're all Dwight Freeney they all fall under that one contract.

Even more disturbing than my non-sensical musing is this idea. Image that were possible for a second. Could you then imagine the horror for any QB, especially one like Losman who may not have protection from his O-line looking at a front four consisting entirely of Dwight Freeneys?

I like the way you think. Tags better make sure to keep a ban in place for the league even if it's legalized nationally. Of course, by the time they can actually do it, Freeney will be 112, but he'll still be better than any defender they get during that time. Hmmm...
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby MCG321 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:05 pm

black_hawk8888 wrote:I'd take 2.5 mil every year to sit and watch Edge wreck people

It sure is a lot more economical than paying for the front row seats to watch the same thing.
MCG321
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:23 pm

i think you have to watch for them to trade edge and then use rhodes for this year to remain competitive and they will draft a rook in 2-3 rd to replace edge. Like a vernand morency, jj arrington, that type of thing.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:01 pm

chaindog35 wrote:i think you have to watch for them to trade edge and then use rhodes for this year to remain competitive and they will draft a rook in 2-3 rd to replace edge. Like a vernand morency, jj arrington, that type of thing.

One can only hope. :-/
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby OwenTheBlonde » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:30 pm

Also don't forget, like I did, that Rhodes had 1,100 yards and 9 TDs rushing in 01 when Edge was hurt most of the year. And he's 26 so I'd say he's worth the money.
OwenTheBlonde
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk