Bengals Show Interest In Derrick Mason - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Cincinnati Bengals

Bengals Show Interest In Derrick Mason

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bengals Show Interest In Derrick Mason

Postby DUKE » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:46 pm

My goodness. CJ and Mason lined up together? That would be incredible. I'd say it's probably a long shot for it to happen, but it would be great to see it happen. If he doesn't come to Cincy, I just hope he doesn't go to a team in the AFC North.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Schaffer, the agent for Bengals running back Rudi Johnson, is a busy man. He said Wednesday night that the Bengals are one of the teams that has expressed some kind of an interest in former Titans wide receiver Derrick Mason. Schaffer, who says he'll meet with the Bengals here this week to discuss Johnson, is also trying to get a deal for Steelers running back Jerome Bettis.

Asked if the Bengals had expresed interest in Mason, Schaffer said, "Yes." The Bengals look to be trying to touch all their bases because they've also indicated they would like to re-sign wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh before free agency opens next week. Mason, who turned 31 last month is coming off a Pro Bowl season in which he had one more catch than the Bengals' Chad Johnson with 96 and finished fourth in AFC yardage with 1,168. . .
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Flux » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:51 pm

That would be absolutely awesome if we could grab Mason. He is one of my favorite players in the NFL and has some great hands and is all around just a very, very, good WR.

That said, there are soooooo many teams interested in him, that I doubt we have a chance. I dont see him ending up in another AFC North team, simply b/c they are all too run oriented. When you have your pick of the litter like Mason does, I think he will go w/ a team that likes to throw it more than PIT or BAL do
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:21 am

That would be sweet Mason lined up across from Chad Johnson. don't know if it will happened, but it would be great.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:25 am

Carson Palmer has to be licking his chops at the possibilities. It's not going to be easy with Mason getting courted by so many teams, but it would be a great addition to the Bengals. What's the deal with Peter Warrick now that this talk of Mason is going on. If Housh signs, and Mason comes to town, Warrick is out in the cold, yes?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:04 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Carson Palmer has to be licking his chops at the possibilities. It's not going to be easy with Mason getting courted by so many teams, but it would be a great addition to the Bengals. What's the deal with Peter Warrick now that this talk of Mason is going on. If Housh signs, and Mason comes to town, Warrick is out in the cold, yes?

Regarding Warrick, everyone seems to say he's 100% and will be back without setback, most notably Marvin Lewis. I'm still not quite ready to take this as gospel, but it at least makes me feel better than I did while I was hearing about arthritic knee conditions, etc. I'm actually about to post a Warrick article in this cincy bengals forum that talks about his progress.

My guess is that TJ goes somewhere else and we either draft a WR early, or sign one via free agency. I doubt it will be Derrick Mason though.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:33 pm

I agree with you Duke, I think you're right about Housh being gone. Someone is going to overpay for him as a #2 wr (steelers or ravens maybe?) and we'll have to sign a FA or draft somebody in the 2-3 rd.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Flux » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:14 pm

GP posted in the Leftovers forum that Mason was on ESPN radio and is going to make a decision very soon. When pressed for names CIN was one of 3 teams he mentioned along w/ JAX and NYG

http://fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=130818
Flux
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:00 pm

outstanding. Pick us Mason, please......
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Postby awwchrist » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:54 pm

Having sure hands like Mason on the other side of Johnson would only accelerate the maturation of Palmer.

Man, that kid's gonna be good. How's the pass blocking gonna be this year? Any o-line FA losses?
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:45 am

awwchrist wrote:Having sure hands like Mason on the other side of Johnson would only accelerate the maturation of Palmer.

Man, that kid's gonna be good. How's the pass blocking gonna be this year? Any o-line FA losses?

no kidding... Cincy has one of the most rounded offenses in the NFL, in my opinion. Indy beats them, and maybe a few others, but give a couple years, and this team is a contender. Needs a little defensive work though... And letting Takeo Spikes leave a couple years back doesn't help.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Cincinnati Bengals