No more Rice please.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

No more Rice please....

Moderator: Football Moderators

No more Rice please....

Postby MadScott » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:06 pm

Is this the end finally for Jerry Rice?

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=532433

KIRKLAND, Wash. Feb 25, 2005 — Jerry Rice was released by the Seattle Seahawks on Friday, perhaps signaling an end to the career of greatest receiver in NFL history.

The release was announced in a short statement from the team, which acquired the 42-year-old Rice from Oakland in a trade last season.

"We are grateful to Jerry and the role he was willing to fill for the Seahawks last year," coach Mike Holmgren said in the statement. "He is one of the greatest players in the history of our game and we wish him nothing but the best."

Seahawks Release Receiver Jerry Rice
Williams Eager for NFL After Missed Year
Marc Stein's Trade Scorecard

Rice is the career leader in receptions with 1,549; total yards with 22,895; and receiving touchdowns with 197, all far ahead of the closest pursuer. He also leads in total touchdowns with 207, 32 more than Emmitt Smith, who announced his retirement earlier this month.

Rice indicated after the Seahawks were eliminated by St. Louis in the playoffs last month that he still was interested in playing.

"I still feel like I have football left in me, a lot of football in me," he said.

However, it remains to be seen whether there is a team who might be interested in signing a 42-year-old, who began his career with San Francisco in 1985 and was on three Super Bowl winners with the 49ers, winning the Super Bowl MVP in 1989. Audrey D'Onfrio, a spokeswoman for the receiver, said it was too early for such speculation.

Rice's possible return to San Francisco has been a hot topic in the Bay Area, but new 49ers coach Mike Nolan has mostly discouraged such speculation. Earlier this week, Nolan acknowledged the club had discussed signing Rice so he could retire with San Francisco, but Nolan doesn't believe Rice would be able to play regularly with the Niners.

"It's my understanding in our discussions that Jerry still wants to test the market and see if someone is interested in having him on the team as a full-time participant," Nolan said Tuesday. "If he wants to retire (with the 49ers), that is certainly something that we would be very open to, but it's my understanding that those aren't his desires."
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:10 pm

It would really be sad to see him go out like that. He'll follow suit with guys like Unitas and Namath as guys who hung on just a little too long by going to another team only to discover their days had long passed. Maybe the Niners will grab him for one last hurrah?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Mercer Boy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:15 pm

I just hope he signs a one-day contract and retires with his rightful team. I doubt any team (not even SF) is going to use him as a starter at this point...he'd be a 3rd down guy or reserve that they'd have to waste a special team guy on.

Come home, Jerry. Take your place among the greats with your 49er brothers and enjoy the rest of the ride. ;-D
The One, the Only, the Incomparable Mercer Boy.
My My YouTube.
Mercer Boy
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:17 pm

It really is a shame that this has to be the end for Jerry Rice. He should have retired a long time ago instead of staying around this long. I agree with Duran that the 49ers should just grab him for this year.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby MadScott » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:17 pm

I guarantee that he will sign a one day contract and retire a 49er when he does retire. If they could do that for Roger Craig after that fumble that kept them from going on to a third consecutive Super Bowl, they certainly can do it for Jerry. :-o
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:21 pm

yes, he should sign with SF before he takes his leave. But it still sounds like he wants to keep playing...

Jerry... follow Emmitt's lead...

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby SeaWolf » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:23 pm

Glad he's gone. Didn't really want him when we traded for him, then he took #80 from Largent.

Now if we could only get rid of Bobbleson.

Feb has been a great month for us.
1) Walter finally has a long term contract.
2) Whittsitt is gone.
3) Hass signed long term.
4) Alexander was franchised, so we can at least get something from him when he leaves.
5) Rice is gone.

Let's hope that March is just as good. :-D
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Football Talk