With no consensus #1 pick could San Fran Pass??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

With no consensus #1 pick could San Fran Pass???

Moderator: Football Moderators

With no consensus #1 pick could San Fran Pass???

Postby Justin_Case » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:00 pm

I was reading this article on cnnsi.com by Don Banks (link at bottom) about the draft and I remembered the other year when a team (I think it was Minnesota) missed their turn to draft and went afterwards.

I was thinking that if San Fran can't unload their top pick (which they probably won't) then is it at least possible that they would consider skipping their turn and drafting in the #3-5 spots instead?

Now before you all call me crazy, which you have every right to do, here's my reasoning why it is possible:

SF can't really get the value they want for a #1 pick and #1 money that they would normally get or would have had if Leinart was in the draft. As most people have said (and is mentioned in the article) there is not real consensus #1 or even top 5 so they could likely get the same person they really like at 4 or 5 as at 1. Now this would only be feasible if by passing they would not have to pay #1 money to whoever they draft later. I'm sure the agent will insist that it was just a ploy and the player should still get #1 money wherever SF takes him. Does anyone remember if Minnesota or whoever it was that did this before got any kind of discount on the contract they paid because they drafted the player later?

I know I'm probably going to get ripped because this is a crazy thought but I just wanted to open it to discussion to see if it is a possibility at all. What do you think???

Here's the CNNSI.com article and it doesn't say anything about this being a possibility.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/w ... ml?cnn=yes
Justin_Case
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby no1cowboysfan » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:18 pm

SF won't pass... #1 picks, while not great this year, can still fetch SOMETHING. If they don't like the situation, they'll likely trade down.

'Cause I'm Cow ... Boy ... for life.
no1cowboysfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby steelyeri » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:28 pm

I agree. If they really wated to trade down that badly, They could trade down and accept the #3 or 4 overall and a lower round draft pick like a sixth or seventh rounder. I doubt they do that however. A #1 pick overall is extremely valuable and I doubt that they just give it away like that. If they do trade down expect them to get atleast a first and second rounder in return.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:31 pm

I beleive the 49 ers have said already they are keeping the pick. The Vikings did let the time expire and ended up picking late one year. I dont remember if it was when they drafted Bryant McKinney or if it was Kevin Williams. I know McKinney took forever to sign so maybe it was him and the draft place was the problem but again I cant remember for sure
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby MadScott » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:01 pm

Trainer of Dolphins wrote:I beleive the 49 ers have said already they are keeping the pick. The Vikings did let the time expire and ended up picking late one year. I dont remember if it was when they drafted Bryant McKinney or if it was Kevin Williams. I know McKinney took forever to sign so maybe it was him and the draft place was the problem but again I cant remember for sure
As far as I've heard, the 49ers have not said anything about keeping the pick.

I was reading a very similar article about the lack of a consensus top choice in the draft hurting the 49ers chances to trade this pick. I'm sure as the combine goes on, someone will emerge with some great #s that will blow the socks off of some team and they will perhaps be inclined to trade up to get that someone. No way does an NFL team pass on a draft selection all together though, no matter what the Vikings tried last year. :-D
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:13 pm

I have expected them to trade down all along after Leinart announced he would be staying.

The 49ers have too many needs to fill to simply sit at #1 and take just one player, when they could trade down and fill two or three needs instead of just one. Plus I think the organization will want to get one more year to look at Tim Rattay and see if he is starting material or not.

Kevan Barlow appears to be a bust, so they may want to replace him, and trading down would be the best way.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby proKrastinate » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:19 pm

since this is a relatively week draft class, i'd love to trade for future picks more so than 2005 picks. if we could shore up some future first rounders, than we could hit the FA market or even draft some decent linemen, and pickup Lienhart next year with some more dealing.
proKrastinate
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Football Talk