What position will Minnesota draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What position will Minnesota draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What position will Minnesota draft?

Postby bagobonez » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:14 pm

Now that Minnesota has the #7 pick, what position will they draft?

Originally WR was the first thing to pop in my head, but I think the club is content with Marcus Robinson and Nate Burleson who they feel is going to emerge as a big-time WR.

I would expect the pick to either be Derrick Johnson, Antrel Rolle or Pac-Man Jones. The club is clearly geared towards improving the defense, which is why they traded Moss to begin with.

What do you think?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cardiac cats » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:17 pm

I agree with you... they should draft a defensive player, namely "pacman" or derrick johnson
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Carolina Culpepper » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:39 pm

If they pick anything other than for defense they, not the Minnesota Twins, should be banished from their league by contraction. Especially if they try to replace Moss with a rookie WR in the draft. How ridiculous would that be. Trade the best WR in the league and then try to draft a replacement for a player who is a once in a decade pick. You just don't get that lucky two times in eight years.
No, they need to own up to the fact that they just went from perhaps the best offense in the league to just a notch above average and then try to atone for that by spending all their key draft picks and all their huge salary cap surplus on upgrading their defense. That still won't atone in my mind for this absurd trade, but at least it would indicate that they had a plan.
Carolina Culpepper
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Re: What position will Minnesota draft?

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:48 pm

bagobonez wrote:Now that Minnesota has the #7 pick, what position will they draft?

Originally WR was the first thing to pop in my head, but I think the club is content with Marcus Robinson and Nate Burleson who they feel is going to emerge as a big-time WR.

I would expect the pick to either be Derrick Johnson, Antrel Rolle or Pac-Man Jones. The club is clearly geared towards improving the defense, which is why they traded Moss to begin with.

What do you think?

I think that they should draft Antrel Rolle. He is the best corner in the draft. The Vikes do not need another LB now, as long as they can resign Clairborne.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:04 pm

Something tells me they don't go LB, having just got the one guy from Oakland in the trade..I would bet Rolle or PacMan if they are around..If neither are for whatever reason, then they may go with DJ...But I would be surprised if he was their first priority...
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby goleafsgo96 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:29 pm

If they pass on Dj it would truly be a dumb move.
Chris Leak-QB-Florida Gators
goleafsgo96
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RyanK » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:05 am

mel kiper is thinking differently

mel kiper jr wrote:Wide receiver is now a huge need area for the Vikings, and they also need help on the defensive front seven and at cornerback. A good plan would be to take USC wideout Mike Williams at No. 7 to help fill the void left by Moss' departure, then look at No. 18 for help in the defensive line from someone such as USC end/tackle Shaun Cody or Florida State DT Travis Johnson. Or if they opt for a cornerback, two of the top three, Antrel Rolle of Miami and Carlos Rogers of Auburn, should both still be available at that point..
RyanK
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheOneManShow 26 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:18 am

I agree with Kiper, they will have to get a back up WR. Sure it was a dumb move to give up Moss and then draft a WR, but they had to get rid of Moss. They know they could never get anything of equal value in return, but it had to happen. Culpepper and the whole organization had enough. I would not be surprised if their picks went 7. USC Mike Williams 18. Carlos Rogers.

Thank You madaslives911
TheOneManShow 26
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joshyboy72 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:09 am

I agree with Kiper as well. Although Rolle won't be available at 18, Carlos Rogers will, and he has a ton of talent. Unless they really want to go like Derrick Johnson and Carlos Rogers, but that may be a little overkill. Getting arguably the best receiver in the draft in Mike Williams + Carlos Rogers would provide great improvements on both the offense and defense. With Napoleon Harris from the Raiders, and hopefully Claiborne, the Vikings should be fine at linebacker and go after improving their secondary with a cornerback. The gap between Antrel Rolle and Adam Jones/Carlos Rogers isn't that big.
joshyboy72
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby chaindog35 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:11 am

mike williams at #7 unless chicago takes him first.
A new forum opened up! Read about the latest "Great Debate" where YOU ask the questions. You lucky VIP, you.
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=106
chaindog35
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk