This mock draft is what SHOULD happen, NOT what WILL happen. This is just the top 10, and what each team SHOULD do with its pick...
1. San Francisco 49ers
- Trade down! Tim Rattay is better than Aaron Rogers, and they can get quite a lot for this draft pick. The Cardinals should try and make a trade here, to get Alex Smith, who is going to have a better NFL career than Rogers. Of course this won’t happen, the 49ers will chose Rogers, go 3-13 and be in the same position next year…
2. Miami Dolphins
- Ronnie Brown, RB – Auburn Brown is the back in the draft who is most fit for the NFL. Miami will probably choose Benson, but Brown is a more secure pick. He is strong and fast, obviously a perfect combination.
3. Cleveland Browns
- Aaron Rogers, QB – Cal Rogers should be chosen in this slot by the Browns, as the #2 QB taken overall. With the loss of Jeff Garcia, the Browns desperately need a QB. I think it is fair to say they need a lot of things right now, but the QB position is the most important on the field, so that is what they will go after.
4. Chicago Bears
- Braylon Edwards, WR – Mich The Bears are also a team that has a lot of positions that need upgrading, but seeing as David Terrell is the team’s #1 WR, they should choose Edwards with their first round pick. Williams has been out of the game for a year, so it would be risky to select him. Edwards had a tremendous year in college, and has the big play potential that the Bears are lacking.
5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Cedric Benson, RB – Tex The Bucs obviously need a RB, so they will take the next best back available, Benson out of Texas. Strong, quick, and althetic like Brown, he will finally give Tampa Bay a more reliable running attack.
6. Tennessee Titans
- Antrel Rolle, CB – Miami After cutting the other Rolle recently, they are much in need of a CB. They could go with Alex Barron, but he does not warrant the number 6 pick in the draft. Rolle will give the Titans a shutdown defensive player that they need desperately.
7. Minnesota Vikings (from Oakland)
- Pac-Man Jones, CB – WVU Probably a little too early for Jones, but the Vikings will continue their trend of upgrading the defensive unit. The acquisition of Napoleon Harris eliminates the need for another LB, assuming they can sign Clairborne. Jones gives them a very fast corner who will be a great complement to Winfield.
8. Arizona Cardinals
- Trade up! They are not going to get the QB they need at the 8 spot, so they must trade up. This probably won’t happen, and they will end up choosing Cadillac Williams.
9. Washington Redskins
- Mike Williams, WR - USC The Redskins will be losing either Gardner or Coles, and it was obvious last year that their offense was the problem. They will gladly take Williams who will be their #1 WR for years to come.
10. Detroit Lions
- Derrick Johnson, LB - Texas The Lions have a solid offense (when healthy). So, they look to upgrade their defense with the best available defensive player, perhaps the most talented player in the draft. He is a steal at #10 and the lions should look past Thomas Davis here if Johnson is available.
Rogers will go #1 unless 49ers trade down, but noone is willing to trade up, becuase there is no clear #1 pick.
I believe the Dolphins will select Benson over Brown, even though Brown may be better overall. I bet its because of the dreadlocks, reminds them of R. Williams.
Browns will get a WR, either Williams or Edwards, the combine will decide who gets selected here.
The Buccs will get the leftover of Brown or Benson.
Cardinals will get a a Lineman, whether it be on the defensive or offensive side.
If D. Johnson was there at #7 for the Vikes, they will get him.
The Redskins are not really looking at WR since S. Moss be coming to town. So the pick will probably be A. Rolle or PacMan Jones to fill in for Smoots departure.
Detroit will, I don't want to say this but, take T. Davis. I so badly hope he slips to the 16th spot for the Saints.
I would not be surprised if the Saints trade up with the Cards to get D. Johnson if he slipped to them. But then again that is wishful thinking. But over good mock draft.
TheOneManShow 26 wrote:Detroit will, I don't want to say this but, take T. Davis. I so badly hope he slips to the 16th spot for the Saints.
However, I don't think we should trade down to get Derrick Johnson. We should stay put and see if Thomas Davis is available...if he isn't then go with Channing Crowder. The guy has so much talent, but has really been hidden by DJ.
Hehe, DJF it's not a bad mock. The only thing is...okay you're saying it's not how it will happen but how it should happen. Then is it really a mock...? Looks more like venting to me.
Just kidding, you make some good points. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.
by Trainer of Dolphins » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:44 am
It was already said but the 49ers couldn't trade down unless they get screwed over, nobody wants the #1 pick this year.
I think the browns will go Defense with Romeo Crennell being a Defensive guy I think they can bring in a Veteran QB to start and get a project guy later in the draft. I see them either nabbing D. Johnson or A. Rolle
The Vikings will probably go WR unless D. Johnson is available, they can get a corner later in the 1st round. This draft has quite a few good CBs so they can wait I think. Derek Johnson will not fall past the Vikings tho. I dont think he will even be available when they hit the clock but thats just me.
I think Arizona can stay put and get either Smith or Rogers where they are. It might be a little bit of a gamble, but its not like they have nothing else they could draft.
Washington is going to acquire Sanatana Moss so they wont really need a WR, plus the top 2 WR will be gone by this point. I have Wash picking a DE (E. James, D. Pollack, M. Spears?)
Anyway theres my two cents, obviously my guesses mean jack squat but thats how I see it right now
I don't see how Brown can be a more secure pick than Benson. He has the most potential of any back in this draft IMO, but Benson is pretty much a sure thing. Brown only toted the rock all by his lonesome for one year at Auburn, we have yet to see him take a significant pounding.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale