Henry to Oakland? Woodson to be traded? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Henry to Oakland? Woodson to be traded?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Henry to Oakland? Woodson to be traded?

Postby steelyeri » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:11 am

O.K. guys this has been a crazy week for me as a raider fan and it just got way crazier. First John Clayton reported that Charles Woodson signed his one year tender. Very unexpected move. Then, there's a press release from the raiders saying...

"THE ACTIONS OF AGENT CARL POSTON AND CHARLES WOODSON TELL US THAT THEY MUST HAVE REACHED A LONG-TERM DEAL WITH A TEAM AND WE EXPECT A TRADE VERY SOON"

this is a press release straight from the raiders, not a rumor. (notice the caps)

Then I hear that Buffalo local news stations are reporting that a deal to send Travis Henry to Oakland is close to being done. Are these related? I don't know at this point (Friday night), but it is all insanely interesting. How am I supposed to sleep with all these rumors flying around? Well, just thought i'd give the rest of you late night guys the scoop.

Raiderfans.net were the first ones to publish the press release...

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/showthread.php?p=373191#post373191

Here is a link to a Bills forum where they are talking about the henry to oakland report...

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?s=7645f2dde5d4aa4f30f93d8eefb8d797&showtopic=42065[/b]

**EDIT**
o.k. now it's right smack on the front of the raider's official website. I think Charles and the Postons pissed AL off.
http://www.raiders.com/default.jsp
Last edited by steelyeri on Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

"Well, I currently live near Seattle and up here everyone seems to completely understand if we [root] for teams other than the Seahawks." - GUS
steelyeri
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:21 am

Wow, if that were to happen, the Raiders would suddenly become a very scary looking offense and it would help their cap problems by dodging Woodson's massive contract. Raiders fans have to like that idea.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:39 am

There have been a ton of Henry trade rumors, no one really knows at this point.

Mind you Clayton was the guy who went on air saying Kellen Winslow would miss training camp altogether the very day before he agreed to a contract with the Browns.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigGAME101 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:43 am

I actually saw this today around 11:30 on WIVB Channel 4 11:00 news. Some say that the trade is rumoured to be Henry for Woodson and another player (how that makes sense I do not know), and others are saying it may be for the raiders second rounder this year. But you have to wonder what made Buffalo change their minds, if in fact they did. All the pieces seemed to be there in the Shelton deal. Until I hear more, I will consider this speculation, while I still think there is a good chance Woodson will be gone.

North Ancaster Astros - Crusaders Treasure Chest represent
bigGAME101
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Nilmerf » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:48 am

I don't know why Buffalo would make this trade. They have good corners, and they definitely need an offensive lineman more.
Nilmerf
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby UNDEFEATED » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:58 am

I can see this happening!

Bennett remains the obvious option going to AZ.

Schedule dictates only one meeting between the Raiders and Bills in '05.

Henry then targets the Raiders, wanting a multi-year deal. Knowing they have $$$ making machine in the front office, hidden behind Al Davis's closet full of warm-up suits. Silver, white, black essentially every Raider Warm-up since he bought the team in the mid 60's or early 70's. He has Raider bell bottoms.. Anyways.

Norv Turner type of running back. Durable. But do not forget the Raiders DO have an Offensive Coordinator and a great one. Jimmy Raye. Very versatile OC that utilizes everybody in the offense.

He was annoited Offensive Coordinator/ Assistant Head Coach two years ago with the Riaders. Norv turner did not bring him in. Prior to then he was the OC of the Jets for 2 season.. You remembder back when they used to pass the ball. Finally he was the OC of Chiefs from 98-00 and jumped to the Redskins for a Year before coordinating, C Mart and the then developing Chad Penny, Moss, and Coles. This is a great resume that i summarized from the Raider website.

As for where, Woodson would land. He is the last piece of a puzzle that has credibilty. The BIlls defense will welcome Woodson to a dominating defense whose main weakness is the secondary. Allowing JP Losman to have some protection on the defensive side of the ball. Beautiful.

Rare WIN-WIN deals for both teams. New Age of sports. Controlled by the Salary Cap. Big name players moving around more often than most recent history. Creating intense off-seasons that perpetuate the P word. Parity. A balance and consistency to each division and conferece. Making Football the #1 Sport in America.
Image Help me earn my Cafe Helper Blinking Ambulance stripes. If you want off the wall thorough answers to your team questions...Hit me up. PM me a link. See you around.
UNDEFEATED
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:25 am

Nilmerf wrote:I don't know why Buffalo would make this trade. They have good corners, and they definitely need an offensive lineman more.

I agree. Their defense was great last year. No need to bring in a big money corner. They do need to make their O-line as good as possible to protect Losman.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby bagobonez » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:20 am

As much as the Raiders are improving on offense (especially if they get Henry) man that defense is going to be terrible. It was terrible last year with Charles Woodson and Philip Buchanon, how much worse is it going to be if neither of those guys ends up suiting up?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:31 am

Azrael wrote:
Nilmerf wrote:I don't know why Buffalo would make this trade. They have good corners, and they definitely need an offensive lineman more.

I agree. Their defense was great last year. No need to bring in a big money corner. They do need to make their O-line as good as possible to protect Losman.

well i wouldnt go that far. one thing i dont think about when im talking about the raiders D is "great"....but i do agree with you guys that more important issues are in their O line.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby gatorman1122 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:51 am

Norv Turner type of running back. Durable.

Not exactly a durable RB when you constantly struggle with injuries.
gatorman1122
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk